Flurry of roster moves including DFA of Sucre

Tony-OH

The Orioles made a flurry of moves after another crushing defeat by the Twins yesterday.

Moves:
DFA Catcher Jesus Sucre and promote Austin Wynns: Now that Wynns is healthy, this makes sense. Sucre just can't hit major league pitcher and his defense while good, was not a difference maker. Wynns is solid defensively and the best hitter of the options.

Demote Jimmy Yacobonis
Place Alex Cobb on IL
Promote Luis Ortiz and Brandon Kline from Norfolk

Analysis: Neither Ortiz or Kline have thrown the ball well this year but both are healthy and able to take some innings. Yacobonis' command has been pretty bad and after throwing BP to the Twins yesterday, it was probably time to give him some more AAA time. It was Ortiz's turn to pitch and with Bundy on the mound against the Twins, they might need some length in the pen.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kline may be ready to be a good one inning  pitcher in the pen.   He had two scoreless innings in his last two outings at AAA and he had one more scoreless today with the O's.  I hope that means he is settling in and showing he has the stuff needed to be part of the answer for the O's pen.

53 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Lot of difference between a straight FB from a guy who throws 97 mph and from say, Dylan Bundy at 92.

No there's not.  Major league hitters will keep crushing that unless his secondaries get much better, which has not been the case.

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ah, I liked Sucre.  Oh well.

Cobb is the worst of our starters, which is saying something.  I'm wondering if there's anything REALLY wrong with him aside from a bruised ego and a swollen ERA.  

I wonder the same thing...?

Archived