Aaron Altherr DFA'd

wildcard

On 5/4/2019 at 5:40 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’ll bet anything this guy is not the next JD Martinez. 

I would too.  But here's the thing, exceptions such as JD, Ortiz, Justin Turner, Bautista, etc do occur.  And when a team finds a player like that it can change fortunes fast.

The thing is, not every team can search for that player.  They have desires on being competitive, or that position is already taken.  That is not the case for the orioles, and so when a player with his profile becomes available they should try.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was DFAed by the Phillies. 

From Rotoworld:

"Altherr showed a whole lot of promise as a 26-year-old in 2017, hitting .272/.340/.516 with 19 homers in 372 at-bats, but he struggled mightily as a part-timer last year and he was off to a 1-for-29 start this season."

Thoughts?

Looking over his numbers, if he makes it through waivers I'd try and sign him for AAA to see if his exit velocity can improve after a massive drop off from last year. There's still some potential in this guy.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:07 PM, ArtVanDelay said:

Do we need a new thread for every player who is DFA?  Perhaps someone could create a singular DFA thread. 

On 5/4/2019 at 6:09 PM, Moose Milligan said:

And yes.  We do.  We need to keep an open thread on every DFA'd player.  Ever.  In fact, it should have its own section on this site.  

I kind of like these threads FWIW.  At least while the Orioles have the top waiver position and a new GM who is “adding talent”.  

They also are in a rare position to benefit in multiple ways by picking up a controllable guy like Altherr.  I hope we get him, but I doubt he makes it thru the NL.  Maybe we trade with the Phillies again.

Maybe we can give them Jack Zoellner for him.

Seriously though, dude can play baseball.  Probably was rushed and out of sync right now from no PT.

What in the hell are we doing RN if not picking up guys like this.

Archived