Exclusive Orioles Hangout Interview: One on One with Mike Elias

Tony-OH

On 5/9/2019 at 7:56 PM, weams said:

Brady is not gone. 

On 5/12/2019 at 3:15 PM, Tx Oriole said:

Crap

Not gone, but no longer a VP of Baseball Operations. He's back to focusing on conditioning and nutrition, and making hires in that area. So a significant reduction in power and influence, it would seem. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/8/2019 at 10:08 PM, Tony-OH said:

Just a little bit. Duquette never returned an e-mail, Facebook, or text in his entire time in office (as fair as I was to Duquette. The only time I talked with MacPhail, the PR director stood with her arms crossed in the same room, and made sure I did not go off my initial questions. 

The communication/transparency levels have always been extremely poor in this organization. I'm glad that Elias is at least willing to grant an interview here and there and I hope that aspect continues to improve.

Side note, I always viewed Greg Bader as a bit of an Orioles villain over the years, a salty and prickly mouthpiece for the O's in the dark years. I wonder how, if at all, he's changed, or if that was mostly a result of who was in charge. He's one of the longer standing employees, I would think. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Side note, I always viewed Greg Bader as a bit of an Orioles villain over the years, a salty and prickly mouthpiece for the O's in the dark years. I wonder how, if at all, he's changed, or if that was mostly a result of who was in charge. He's one of the longer standing employees, I would think. 

Anecdotally, I am personally an “operations villain” for my company, but it’s the nature of the job and (hopefully) not a reflection of me personally.

6 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Anecdotally, I am personally an “operations villain” for my company, but it’s the nature of the job and (hopefully) not a reflection of me personally.

No doubt.

I think with Greg he appeared to go out of his way to be antagonistic to bloggers and some members of the media who were more bold. He seems a little more subdued these days. I know he butted heads with WNST and for that I cannot fault him. LOL

45 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Thought I’d put this here since this is where I learned about Trackman data in the minors, and how Statcast also uses it in the majors.

Can anyone expound on Hawk-Eye? Does it improve on Trackman in some way(s)?

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Can anyone expound on Hawk-Eye? Does it improve on Trackman in some way(s)?

It's currently used in the Majors to assist teams in making replay decisions. It is used for ball-tracking in tennis. Since it's an optical technology, it can also track player movement. It's announced that it's to improve accuracy of data, but I'm guessing that teams have much more in mind than just replacing what Trackman does. You could likely automate the system so you could go and see every defensive play a player is involved in with HD video from multiple angles. I'd also imagine they'll build player tracking technology on top of it. 

Archived