The bats are cooling in May

Frobby

After a surprisingly decent (which isn’t to say good) March/April, the bats have cooled considerably so far in May, with the O’s scoring only 29 runs in 9 games and posting a .634 OPS.     

Notably, four relatively hot bats from March/April have cooled considerably: Trey Mancini (.621 in May), Jonathan Villar (.635), Renato Núñez (.188) and Pedro Severino (.458).   The one remaining hot bat from last month is Dwight Smith, still rolling at .825 in May.

It’s interesting to note that Richie Martin has a .767 OPS in May, but has started only 4 of 9 games after starting 21 of 26 in March/April.

Really, the slump extends back to April 26.    Since then the O’s have a .610 OPS and have scored 36 runs in 13 games (2.77 runs/game).    

o

Chris Davis has a .357 OBP for the month of May ........ that's not exactly "hot", but I wouldn't mind seeing him maintain that for an extended period of time.

Also, Davis has a .369 OBP and a .921 OPS since April 13th ........ that's pretty solid for a full month worth of play.

o

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

After a surprisingly decent (which isn’t to say good) March/April, the bats have cooled considerably so far in May, with the O’s scoring only 29 runs in 9 games and posting a .634 OPS.     

Notably, four relatively hot bats from March/April have cooled considerably: Trey Mancini (.621 in May), Jonathan Villar (.635), Renato Núñez (.188) and Pedro Severino (.458).   The one remaining hot bat from last month is Dwight Smith, still rolling at .825 in May.

It’s interesting to note that Richie Martin has a .767 OPS in May, but has started only 4 of 9 games after starting 21 of 26 in March/April.

Really, the slump extends back to April 26.    Since then the O’s have a .610 OPS and have scored 36 runs in 13 games (2.77 runs/game).    

They were playing above their talent now they are coming back to norm.  Like the said before I think Mancini ends up at replacement level.   Nunez will end up worse than replacement at DH and Servino is probably a .600 OPS guy.

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Chris Davis has a .357 OBP for the month of May ........ that's not exactly "hot", but I wouldn't mind seeing him maintain that for an extended period of time.

o

Yeah it would be nice if he could turn it around and have at least an .200 average on the season.

3 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Also, Davis has a .369 OBP and a .921 OPS since April 13th ........ that's pretty solid for a full month worth of play.

o

Just now, atomic said:

Yeah, it would be nice if he could turn it around and have at least an .200 average on the season.

o

It would be even nicer if he could keep up the .369 OBP and the .921 OPS pace that he has had over the last month, since April 13th.

o

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

They were playing above their talent now they are coming back to norm.  Like the said before I think Mancini ends up at replacement level.   Nunez will end up worse than replacement at DH and Servino is probably a .600 OPS guy.

I agree that they are coming back to the norm offensively as a team. I think Mancini will probably outhit your expectations.     The pitch he took off his fingers clearly slowed him down for several games but he seems to have recovered now.   If I’m guessing, I think he’ll at least equal his 2017 numbers, if not surpass them.   I don’t expect him to stay at .921 OPS, though.    

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

It would be even nicer if he could keep up the .369 OBP and the .921 OPS pace that he has had over the last month, since April 13th.

o

A month sounds like a long time but he only start d 15 games during that time.  I hope he just becomes a player who can be a positive addition to the lineup and be deserving of his spot in the Major Leagues.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I agree that they are coming back to the norm offensively as a team. I think Mancini will probably outhit your expectations.     The pitch he took off his fingers clearly slowed him down for several games but he seems to have recovered now.   If I’m guessing, I think he’ll at least equal his 2017 numbers, if not surpass them.   I don’t expect him to stay at .921 OPS, though.    

I expect a 770 to 790 OPS totally negated by his inability to play defense 

27 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah, it would be nice if he could turn it around and have at least an .200 average on the season.

22 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

A month sounds like a long time, but he only start d 15 games during that time. I hope he just becomes a player who can be a positive addition to the lineup and be deserving of his spot in the Major Leagues.

o

He had 65 Plate Appearances in 19 games in that 1-month span. If he did that again between May 12th and June 12th, I would be fine with that. That would also put him well over the .200 batting average mark, of which you said that it would be nice if he could maintain for a full season.

o

Mancini continues to square the ball up. This team needs Villar to hit. 

These lineups after those two and Smith is weak, we all know that. Need to get Nunez going. 

Hope at some point the Hays types get a call up. I have been happy with the effort of the position players so far but we need some reinforcements.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Mancini continues to square the ball up. This team needs Villar to hit. 

These lineups after those two and Smith is weak, we all know that. Need to get Nunez going. 

Hope at some point the Hays types get a call up. I have been happy with the effort of the position players so far but we need some reinforcements.  

Yeah if you only have 3 guys who can hit you aren’t going to score many runs. The team should really call up Mountcastle already.  He most likely would be our best hitter.

Just now, atomic said:

Yeah if you only have 3 guys who can hit you aren’t going to score many runs. The team should really call up Mountcastle already.  He most likely would be our best hitter.

I think Mountcastle situation will be interesting to follow. He can hit but where does he play on this team?, plus the service time question? I’m curious how Elias handles it. 

Davis has slowed the get rid of him talk. I thought he was done by end of June but to his credit he has picked it up. 

Unfortunately the Hays injury and Mullins struggles have hurt in CF. Hope Hays or even Mullins can be up by mid June. Don’t see any changes at SS, 2nd and 3rd. Of course Villar could be dealt, but later. 

Catcher is all about whether Sisco gets another chance. 

So basically

-CF

-1B/DH 

- C   

Hope Diaz gets healthy and is at least in the conversation later on.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I expect a 770 to 790 OPS totally negated by his inability to play defense 

To end up in that range he’d have to OPS .720-.745 the rest of the season, to make up for his good start.     I don’t think that will happen, but that’s why they play the games.     We will find out.   

Archived