Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

21 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

It ended up being a brilliant bit of distraction, allowing Villar to take off for third while the Sox casually tossed the ball back to the pitcher. Who says Chris Davis doesn't contribute anything?

I wonder if Villar knew Chris would do that so he ran or if Chris realized his best contribution now is as an actor.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Frobby said:

At least he wasn’t having a conversation with the catcher when he struck out, unlike his performance in the OF where he was too busy talking with Santander to throw the ball in while a runner was advancing.  

When did this happen?

7 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

The Orioles are approaching this wrong. Chris Davis must have some other non baseball playing skill that they could use as a basis to carve out a more useful job for him to do. Work-life balance coach? 

No, I don’t want any other players screwed up on this team from his mentoring. 

How about beer vendor? ?

On 6/16/2019 at 8:37 PM, atomic said:

Yeah I was checking out the better pitchers who have pitched a long time in National League for a long time and most have a higher career average than Davis’ average the last two years.. Greinke, Scherzer, Wianwright,  seems the best pitchers are also the best hitters.

Jake Arrrieta has hit about the same average as Chris Davis and has 4 triples. But in fairness to Arrieta he didn’t start hitting until he turned 28.

Interesting stat for Arrieta, those 4 triples.

Actually I was thinking back historically, to before the DH. Don Drysdale, Dick Hall and Gary Peters immediately come to mind.

Among contemporary pitchers, there are def some situations in which I would consider pinchhitting Greinke or Madison Bumgarner, among others, for Davis.

From the grand--or granular? same difference--karmic perspective, bringing the Davis situation clearly to a close long before 2020 would be good for all concerned.

Have to think he is running out of time. Santander is doing pretty well. Smith will be back soon, so will Stewart. Mancini has to play somewhere. Smith going to play CF?

I keep thinking with some off days soon they will go with a 4 man bench. That said how are they going to keep all these guys? We know Hays will get a chance at some point as well. How much longer are they going to let this drag on? Once the OF gets healthy I think you could make a strong argument he is blocking younger players that deserve a chance. I know many would have said this before the season started. Nunez isn’t going anywhere and neither is Smith. 

Since May 11

9 -71. One HR, 2 2B’s, 2 RBI.  

37 SO’s  

127/205/197 slash. 

For season 164/249/289

From baseball refercence 

-1.0 WAR.  Only Richie Martin is worse at -1.1. Tied with Eduardo Nunez and Miguel Andujar. 

I say give him couple more weeks before the OF gets healthy.

14 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Those numbers are a complete embarrassment.  He's gotta go.

His stat line is basically identical from last year. 

When Smith and Stewart are healthy do we want to see them play along with Santander or 1/2 of them sent down? Hays is on the way, hope Diaz by next year. Why block any of them at this point for more of the same? Could they send Santander/Stewart back down, sure but why? So a washed up Davis can keep playing? Let those kids get a real look before Hays and Diaz arrive. 

16 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

It ended up being a brilliant bit of distraction, allowing Villar to take off for third while the Sox casually tossed the ball back to the pitcher. Who says Chris Davis doesn't contribute anything?

You’re kidding, right? I can’t believe anyone believes Davis has this much forethought. He doesn’t strike me as a guy who is cerebral.

No chance he was trying to distract the catcher with his complaints. More likely Villar had noticed Vasquez and his lazy throws back to the pitcher and was lying in wait for his opportunity.

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Since May 11

9 -71. One HR, 2 2B’s, 2 RBI.  

37 SO’s  

127/205/197 slash. 

For season 164/249/289

From baseball refercence 

-1.0 WAR.  Only Richie Martin is worse at -1.1. Tied with Eduardo Nunez and Miguel Andujar. 

I say give him couple more weeks before the OF gets healthy.

It's just stint after stint of prolonged terribleness.  I think he's been saved by Hays, Diaz, and Mullins' struggles, the fact that we may be trying to keep Mancini in the OF to increase his value, and lastly that Mountcastle is going to be given the whole year in AAA.  Trumbo being hurt also helped a little.  

In a year where we are terrible, it's probably best just to eat all of the negative press this year and truly have a fresh start going forward.  Why let this PR and baseball nightmare linger into next season?  My thinking is that we wait till September, and once football season starts that will be the time when we eat the contract.  

Maybe the Orioles should just bench him and play with a 24-man roster basically. Perhaps the total embarrassment of not playing on the worse team in baseball would be motivation for him to retire. 

Saying that, I doubt there is anyone in the organization that doesn't think he through. The question is, how do you get him to do the right thing and retire and try and save some money? Probably not going to happen so they're better off just cutting him sooner than later. 

I'd rather see Mancini become the full-time 1B where he belongs and let Nunez and Sisco get some DH at bats. 

Obviously this team is going to be bad with or without him, but why drags the fans through even more frustrations of watching the most over paid mistake in baseball history continue to take at bats?

I’d feel more strongly about all this if I was in a big hurry to see Hays, Diaz or Mountcastle in the majors. Davis is an embarrassment but he’s not yet really blocking anyone too seriously, and the heat’s off a bit now that Trumbo’s return isn’t imminent.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I’d feel more strongly about all this if I was in a big hurry to see Hays, Diaz or Mountcastle in the majors. Davis is an embarrassment but he’s not yet really blocking anyone too seriously, and the heat’s off a bit now that Trumbo’s return isn’t imminent.   

What about when Smith and Stewart are healthy? I get what you are saying but at this point why not see what those guys along with Santander can do before the others you mentioned come up?

We know Smith will stay, Nunez as well. Would just much rather see Santander/Stewart play instead of Davis. It’s getting harder and harder to stomach. 

Archived