Orioles Summer Music Series

Going Underground

On 6/29/2019 at 7:32 AM, Enjoy Terror said:

My wife’s second favorite genre, next to spiritual pop a la SHINE FM. 

Religious pop is way way worse, I promise you. There’s only so many ways you can say the word Allelujah and none of them are interesting.

My parents subjected me to Amy Grant when I was growing up so I feel your pain ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

It's MUCH worse than 80s pop music. Just the fake twang alone makes it worse. The lowest form of music on the totem pole right now IMO. 

Umm, anything autotuned is automatically worse than anything else. You or I could be pop singers/rappers with just a few pushes of a button.

ICP is also really, really bad. No redeeming value to anything they have ever made. And that's coming from someone who likes 2 Live Crew.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:40 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

You're saying you can't sincerely recite a list of stereotypical objects and social problems from rural America in a fake Kentucky accent over a slide guitar track?

Sincerity is the most important thing.  Once you learn to fake that, you've got it made.  ?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dedwretched said:

Umm, anything autotuned is automatically worse than anything else. You or I could be pop singers/rappers with just a few pushes of a button.

ICP is also really, really bad. No redeeming value to anything they have ever made. And that's coming from someone who likes 2 Live Crew.

That depends on what effect they are trying to get out of it.  This track uses autotune or something like it to modify the vocals.

Much like drum machines, the technology is not inherently bad, it is all in how it is used.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So you're saying that a legitimately good singer using autotune for artistic effect is automatically worse than random some guy badly covering Jimmy Buffet songs at your local bar for $50 a night?

At least the Jimmy Buffet guy isn't trying to mask any shortcomings.

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2019 at 1:01 PM, Can_of_corn said:

That depends on what effect they are trying to get out of it.  This track uses autotune or something like it to modify the vocals.

Much like drum machines, the technology is not inherently bad, it is all in how it is used.

I can't view this because I'm at work. What is it?

On 7/16/2019 at 2:01 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

So you're saying that a legitimately good singer using autotune for artistic effect is automatically worse than random some guy badly covering Jimmy Buffet songs at your local bar for $50 a night?

I'd rather listen to someone ham it up or do karaoke than listen to the trash on the radio because the person singing is showing their true colors. They're not hiding behind Pro Tools or whatever people use to fix up their voice. It's the aural version of airbrushing or Photoshop.

Name one legitimately good singer who uses autotune. I realize this is subjective, but I'm curious to hear your answer.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4Rh1GqpQzOdsMZzOYfZ_

1 hour ago, dedwretched said:

I'd rather listen to someone ham it up or do karaoke than listen to the trash on the radio because the person singing is showing their true colors. They're not hiding behind Pro Tools or whatever people use to fix up their voice. It's the aural version of airbrushing or Photoshop.

Name one legitimately good singer who uses autotune. I realize this is subjective, but I'm curious to hear your answer.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4Rh1GqpQzOdsMZzOYfZ_

I like a small handful of Nate Reuss or .fun songs and they use autotune for effect.  But really I'm just against unjustified use of authoritative statements like "anyone who does X is automatically worse than all people who don't."