Washington DC cable provider is dropping MASN July 1st.

fansince1988

47 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The Orioles were already down 26% in 2017 and 50% in 2018.

Still, they rank 18th overall, which isn’t bad at all for a team that’s more than 100 games under .500 over the last two seasons.    

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2019 at 4:36 PM, atomic said:

Fox news doesnt cost much.  Disney owns ESPN so they have more power. I have Slingtv for Disney JR and Nick JR.  I would never pay 100 a month for cable as most of it is completely wortless. Easy to watch MASN for free.

How do you watch MASN for free?

I too have sling.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:29 PM, fansince1988 said:

RCN is dropping MASN in Washington D.C. I could switch over to Fios (the only other option in DC), but I'm not sure its worth the hassle this year.

" Despite decreasing viewership, MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) is demanding forced carriage to those who chose not to subscribe to its programming. This leads to unfair increases to all customers not just those who watch and subscribe to MASN. We simply are unable to agree to the terms demanded by MASN and we will no longer carry MASN channel 372/687 (SD/HD) and MASN2 373/688 (SD/HD), effective July 1, 2019.

With more options than ever to stream live sports (MLB.TV, FS1, FOX, ESPN and others) customers have choices. Our goal is to offer the best services at reasonable and fair pricing for ALL of our customers – we’re on your side. For more info about MASN, visit us online at rcn.com/masn."

This is great reason why MLB should get rid of all blackout areas. I'd love to cut the cable but can't due to MASN.

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2019 at 9:12 AM, atomic said:

Most people aren't fans though. They shouldn't have to pay huge fees for something they never watch.

That's actually true. The regional sport channel fees have become very large and exorbitant and its unfair to people who don't watch sports. I'm fine with paying to watch what I want to watch, which is the Orioles, but I know I would not want to have to pay for a team/sport that I don't watch.

Say what you want, but the midwest loves its baseball still.

Top Five ratings

Milwaukee Brewers, FS Wisconsin

St. Louis Cardinals, FS Midwest

Minnesota Twins, FS North

Cleveland Indians, SportsTime Ohio

Cincinnati Reds, FS Ohio

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is great reason why MLB should get rid of all blackout areas. I'd love to cut the cable but can't due to MASN.

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.  MLB has blackout areas forcing fans into expensive cable subscriptions.  Cable supplies a large percentage of the Majors' $10B annual revenues.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:12 AM, atomic said:

Most people aren't fans though. They shouldn't have to pay huge fees for something they never watch.

But that's the cable model.   Why do I have to pay for HGTV, which I never watch?   Or Lifetime?

Why do I have to pay for [that stupid cable news network whose politics are the exact opposite of mine]  when I can get all the news I want from [that great cable news network with all the brilliant reporters that I agree with all the time]?

Now we all know the clock is ticking on the cable model.   But that's how it has always worked.   If your network provides enough value to some people to get those fans actively protesting or threatening to leave for another provider, you can extort the cable company to pay whatever you want them to and pass that cost along to ALL the customers, not just the ones that rattled the cage the most.

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's actually true. The regional sport channel fees have become very large and exorbitant and its unfair to people who don't watch sports. I'm fine with paying to watch what I want to watch, which is the Orioles, but I know I would not want to have to pay for a team/sport that I don't watch.

To a lot of people having MASN would be equivalent to the Bass Fishing Channel.

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You give them the rope they hang you with. Talk with your wallet, man.

EDIT: Before you say "I run Orioles Hangout, I can't NOT watch the games" --- write off your cable as a business expense. Problem solved!

• Upvote 1