Hyde sounds angry O's lose 7-2

weams

17 minutes ago, theocean said:

I don't know how I feel about a manager straight up saying that the players on his team aren't good enough - or that they aren't trying hard enough. Not really a good message to the players you have out there and are hoping to succeed.

I don't think that's an admirable quality, or even telling-it-like-it-is. Everyone knows the Yankees have a better roster than the Orioles. It's just bad clubhouse relations. If there's an issue, do it privately. I see no benefit coming from Hyde's angry outbursts.

I agree you can't publicly air out grievances like this with today's ballplayer. It might not matter now, but when the Orioles do have talent in the future Hyde will lose the clubhouse. Heck, Hyde could end losing the clubhouse now with this attitude. I'm not saying, I like it but that's the way it is with today's athlete. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree you can't publicly air out grievances like this with today's ballplayer. It might not matter now, but when the Orioles do have talent in the future Hyde will lose the clubhouse. Heck, Hyde could end losing the clubhouse now with this attitude. I'm not saying, I like it but that's the way it is with today's athlete. 

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/08/hyde-has-backing-of-players-who-appreciate-his-support.html

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was going to quote that atricle and it shows he isn't even close to "losing the clubhouse." When he says things like "Their guys are just way better than our guys”, ESPECIALLY when talking about the Yankees, every one of our guys knows that.

Plus he's never calling out an individual player, just the team effort in general. As he probably tells them in private in the clubhouse. Most likely in NO uncertain terms either. ?

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm sure anyone would say plenty of nice things when there is a microphone in front of him. And I wouldn't expect Roch to write a critical article about anybody on the team.

In a world where the Red Sox are still beefing with Dennis Eckersley, I don't see this being a successful long-term approach - especially when the team has more veterans with some status.

1 minute ago, theocean said:

I'm sure anyone would say plenty of nice things when there is a microphone in front of him. And I wouldn't expect Roch to write a critical article about anybody on the team.

In a world where the Red Sox are still beefing with Dennis Eckersley, I don't see this being a successful long-term approach - especially when the team has more veterans with some status.

I just thought the timing of the article was ironic.   Overall, though, I think Hyde has been overwhelmingly positive and patient with this team.    I posted that quote about the pitching because it’s pretty rare for him to say something like that.    I think it will take a lot more than an occasional comment like that for Hyde to lose the clubhouse.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I can’t tell.    I feel like Buck would have gotten more out of our bullpen guys, but who knows?    Hyde doesn’t have a lot of great options out there.   

I really would like to know how anyone, including God himself could get more out of that motley crew of AAA pitchers who have filled the Orioles bullpen this year. I thought Buck was a good bullpen manager, no doubt, but I don't think there is anyway to navigate through the options given to Hyde any better.

Sure, he's pushed Givens a few times too long, but at some point you gotta see what he can do, and he showed that he struggles in those longer outings or when used three constitutive days. He also tends to struggle in real closing situations, so at the end of the day, he's a 7th,8th high leverage one inning reliever on a team that needs multiple innings due to a lack of real major league options.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Lol, good article, but it's focused on Hyde protecting the players from arguments with umps. Of course they support that. They might not be as supportive when he tells the media we suck and don't have the pitching to compete.

You need to be told exactly how well you're doing your job. Good, medium good, or terrible, it should be handled in private. I don't like reprimanding anyone on my shift, but I do what I have to do to make sure they do the job right. I would never do it in public unless I had to correct an immediate action that would endanger the public or themselves. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Thanks for posting the article (I don't read Roch everyday like I used to). I've gotten to the point when I get to Chris Davis quotes in articles, I just completely gloss over them. I just have no desire to hear what he has to say. 

28 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

You need to be told exactly how well you're doing your job. Good, medium good, or terrible, it should be handled in private. I don't like reprimanding anyone on my shift, but I do what I have to do to make sure they do the job right. I would never do it in public unless I had to correct an immediate action that would endanger the public or themselves. 

I get your point.  However, you're not asked every day to publicly comment on how your shift went.   Captain Obvious knows the team is giving up way too many HRs.    Other than painting a picture of rainbows and unicorns, worthy of Jim Hunter,  what is he supposed to say after 11 HRs in 2 games? Maybe he can borrow the old baseball axioms:

"Well, we ran into a buzzsaw the last two nights"
"Our guys just didn't have it."
"Nothing comes easy in the A.L. East"
"Gotta' tip your cap to those Yankees hitters."
"I'm proud of the effort by our hitters"

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Everything about Hyde exudes "Leader". He should get a freakin' metal for having to go in an answer some of the questions he gets asked, but then again, I'm sure the beat reporters are digging deep for good questions to ask at this point as well.

Either way, I think Hyde is outstanding at telling it like it is, holding players responsible but not throwing them under the bus per se. He's been given a hard job this year and I give him an absolute A+ for the job he's done so far.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

I get your point.  However, you're not asked every day to publicly comment on how your shift went.   Captain Obvious knows the team is giving up way too many HRs.    Other than painting a picture of rainbows and unicorns, worthy of Jim Hunter,  what is he supposed to say after 11 HRs in 2 games? Maybe he can borrow the old baseball axioms:

"Well, we ran into a buzzsaw the last two nights"
"Our guys just didn't have it."
"Nothing comes easy in the A.L. East"
"Gotta' tip your cap to those Yankees hitters."
"I'm proud of the effort by our hitters"

In fact, the way Hyde doesn't just throw out the Hunter view makes me like him that much more. He obviously has Elias' backing to say things as he sees fit, and I think he would lose his credibility with the fans if he was giving them the BS in the news conference.

I like the fact that he gets a little petrubed when his pitchers are grooving pitches in the middle of the plate. Good major league pitchers rarely do that, ye we watch this on a nightly basis. He's 100% right, the Yankees are way better than us right now and we don't have many real major league pitchers in our bullpen right now.