Wow, this bullpen reeks!

Frobby

Just now, eddie83 said:

They better do something about the ball. It is become a joke. 

The ball Mancini hit out Sunday looked more like a 360 ft flyout, instead it was over the fence.  

Plus summer is just arriving. 

Yep, we're sitting on 1.36 now.  With no change in balls that will steadily climb the rest of the year.  '87, when people were hitting homers on broken bats and half swings, seems like a quaint era of slap hitting.

Scanning the standings/run differentials for how we've opened a bit of a "lead" for worst record, and expecting that surely we'd let in the most runs of anyone, it caught me by surprise to see Seattle has allowed 20 more runs than we have.  They do have 4 more games played, so our average is a little worse, but there is at least one overall run prevention rival.

While we're talking about all time marks MLB is on pace to:

- Set the all time homer mark by a mile
- Set the all time strikeout mark by over a quarter strikeout per team/game
- Set the all time record for fewest triples per game
- Have the most HBP since 1900
- Have the fewest sac hits since sac hits started being recorded
- Have the fewest intentional walks since they've been recorded

Currently nine points shy of the slugging record, which might be reachable as the summer progresses. I'm sure the ISO mark is vulnerable.

It's an extreme year.

10 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Scanning the standings/run differentials for how we've opened a bit of a "lead" for worst record, and expecting that surely we'd let in the most runs of anyone, it caught me by surprise to see Seattle has allowed 20 more runs than we have.  They do have 4 more games played, so our average is a little worse, but there is at least one overall run prevention rival.

Seattle plays in a pretty significant pitcher's park.  Their context-adjusted ERA is the same as the Orioles.

I'm wondering how the use of openers has impacted the bullpen ERA.  Is there any way to determine this?  Seems to me a good inning or two by an opener wouldn't count in bullpen ERA and if the starter that then comes in the game in the 2nd or 3rd inning gets hammered, that would be included in the bullpen ERA.  The Orioles haven't used openers all that often, but I'm just curious how those stats are affected when they do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I'm pretty interested in how the whole Armstrong thing happened.

We were able to offload one of our worst arms (Mike Wright) to Seattle for peanuts.  They cut Armstrong to make room, and we were able to scoop him up.

I'm wondering if Elias has discovered a new potential market inefficiency?  ;)

Trading crappy bullpen arms to crappy teams who want to cut their underperforming bullpen arms?

What is it about Seattle? Seems like every deal with them is a steal for us. Their fans must hate us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 9:01 AM, Aglets said:

I'm pretty interested in how the whole Armstrong thing happened.

We were able to offload one of our worst arms (Mike Wright) to Seattle for peanuts.  They cut Armstrong to make room, and we were able to scoop him up.

I'm wondering if Elias has discovered a new potential market inefficiency?  ;)

Trading crappy bullpen arms to crappy teams who want to cut their underperforming bullpen arms?

Having Mike Wright on the roster -- now that was inefficient.

I think when Elias moved Wright he figured that whatever he picked up to replace him, from Seattle making room for Wright, a demotion from Norfolk, or elsewhere, couldn't be worse, and so far it appears he was right.

Sometimes a change of scenery seems to help a player who's been disappointing, but if that's not random I doubt that the Orioles have any insight into where that effect (if it's not just random) will kick in. If the Orioles had discovered some general flaw in the market's perception and valuation of pitchers, I think the back end of our rotation and our relievers would be noticeably better than they are.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:08 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(JUNE 30th)

The Oriole bullpen at-large had a good 3-game series against the Indians.

o

o

ONE DAY LATER )) (vs. INDIANS, 7/01)

Tom Eshelman settled down after a bad 1st inning in his career Major League debut, and the Oriole offense chipped away to take a 3-2 lead after 5 and-a-half innings ...... Branden Kline immediately gave back the lead by ceding 3 runs while recording no outs, and the Rays wound up winning the game by a score of 6-3.

o

Overall, I think the bullpen is in a spot to fail until we develop a rotation. Especially considering we are likely trading away Cashner and Bundy soon. But if you squint you can see some hope for 2020,

Givens, Harvey, Scott, Kline

Bleier, Castro, Shuttle, Shuttle

Getting Givens back into a routine should help him. Even though we’ll win 45 again next year. Don’t burn him out. Max his trade value and sell.

It’s time for Kline and Scott to produce at the MLB level. Hopefully in one inning stints. 

Harvey could be a huge weapon if they don’t decide to try him at SP one more time, which I wouldn’t be against. 

Castro and Bleier need to get back on track or get non tendered. 

Some people have to emerge from the shuttle. So far only Means has. Fry did for a stretch. We need more. At some point the 40 man guys need to just get outs. 

• 2 weeks later...