Frobby

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Givens:

March/April: 4.50

May: 6.39

June: 3.68

July: 2.79

August: 2.70

If only he had put up his July-Aug numbers in April-May, we might have an extra prospect or two and he would by somebody else's problem.

Also, Castro has quietly turned his season around:

April: 8.59

May: 4.63

June: 2.87

July: 3.38

Aug: 3.18

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

These things are such pearls. But it would be kind of funny if you had been making these historical nuggets up all these years. We would never know! 

Prior to the internet there was a whole category of people who'd do that.  Spoke very authoritatively about subjects that they really didn't know anything about but relied on the fact that it was difficult or impossible to verify.  Cliff Clavin.

I say prior to the internet, but these people still exist and sometimes in very high places.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Prior to the internet there was a whole category of people who'd do that.  Spoke very authoritatively about subjects that they really didn't know anything about but relied on the fact that it was difficult or impossible to verify.  Cliff Clavin.

I say prior to the internet, but these people still exist and sometimes in very high places.

Oh yeah. Plus now facts are not facts anymore for a small, but vocal minority. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sounds like the ole sports call in radio shows. :) :) :)

Sometimes, even the radio hosts were clueless about what they are talking about. Oh yeah, that still applies today. HAHAHA

17 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sounds like the ole sports call in radio shows. :) :) :)

Sometimes, even the radio hosts were clueless about what they are talking about. Oh yeah, that still applies today. HAHAHA

I don't listen to sports talk.  I get 60 seconds in and every single time the complete nonsense to good content ratio is 100:1.  I truly don't care about how someone's experiences in the NFL in 1998 influence his opinions on Christian Yelich.  At all.  I'd rather watch Family Feud.

I'm sure the level of discourse is higher at times, like Tony is on.  But the usual stuff makes me want to throw things.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't listen to sports talk.  I get 60 seconds in and every single time the complete nonsense to good content ratio is 100:1.  I truly don't care about how someone's experiences in the NFL in 1998 influence his opinions on Christian Yelich.  At all.  I'd rather watch Family Feud.

I'm sure the level of discourse is higher at times, like Tony is on.  But the usual stuff makes me want to throw things.

Living in the DC Radio area, There was a guy Ken Beatrice, he really knew his stuff, yeah, he could be prick at times to some callers, but mostly it was informative, and back when you didnt have internet, and the daily newspaper is printing stuff from 2 days ago, this was an option.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Living in the DC Radio area, There was a guy Ken Beatrice, he really knew his stuff, yeah, he could be prick at times to some callers, but mostly it was informative, and back when you didnt have internet, and the daily newspaper is printing stuff from 2 days ago, this was an option.

He liked to hear himself talk.   Knowledgeable but pretty full of himself.   

Just now, Frobby said:

He liked to hear himself talk.   Knowledgeable but pretty full of himself.   

I take him over Vinny C anyday

You probably are not a Skins fan, but I guess, thats what drew me to Ken.

Besides, I was working nighs for years, and listening to talk radio somehow made the shift go faster, than when listening to music. I know, makes no common sense.

19 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I take him over Vinny C anyday

You probably are not a Skins fan, but I guess, thats what drew me to Ken.

Besides, I was working nighs for years, and listening to talk radio somehow made the shift go faster, than when listening to music. I know, makes no common sense.

To be honest, I haven’t listened much to call in sports radio since Warner Wolf left DC for NY.   That was probably 45+ years ago.    Warner had a great call-in show here.   

About ten years ago, Phil Wood used to have an all-baseball call-in show on Saturday mornings I used to listen to once in a while.   And Al Galdi had a show called Chin Music for an hour on Saturdays for a couple of years, that last year got preempted for even more Redskins coverage.     That wasn’t mostly call-in, but he took a few calls each show.   And he usually had a ten minute segment on the Orioles, which is all the Orioles analysis there was on DC-area radio.    Now we are down to zero Orioles coverage here, except for the broadcasts of the actual games.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be honest, I haven’t listened much to call in sports radio since Warner Wolf left DC for NY.   That was probably 45+ years ago.    Warner had a great call-in show here.   

About ten years ago, Phil Wood used to have an all-baseball call-in show on Saturday mornings I used to listen to once in a while.   And Al Galdi had a show called Chin Music for an hour on Saturdays for a couple of years, that last year got preempted for even more Redskins coverage.     That wasn’t mostly call-in, but he took a few calls each show.   And he usually had a ten minute segment on the Orioles, which is all the Orioles analysis there was on DC-area radio.    Now we are down to zero Orioles coverage here, except for the broadcasts of the actual games.   

I really liked Warner when he was doing the sports on channel 9.

I remember all those guys, and listen to them off and on.

Back then, DC had better coverage of the Orioles, than anything you could find on the Baltimore stations. Especially the Post and their paper coverage of the team.

• 4 weeks later...

The pen blew 2 saves in one game last night, and that’s without Hess being credited with one, because he was already in the game when the O’s took the lead.    The tally now stands at 27 saves, 26 blown saves.  51% save rate, compared to 63% league wide.   

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Pretty clear where some improvements are needed.  There is not a single pitcher in the bullpen right now, except for  Harvey, who I would miss one bit next year.  They are all uniformly terrible.   Replace them all. 

From the metrics that Frobby posted above, they aren't as bad, as our eye test is giving us.

I would hope to see some fresh arms in ST and have a better selection to put on the 25 man roster.