2019-2020 International Signings Thread

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What he cared about was $5.1M. His entire family can live like royalty for the rest of their lives even if he goes all Brien Taylor.

I'm pretty sure you mean he cares about the deep bonds he's formed with the Yankees over the last couple of years.  Remember money doesn't mean much to these kids, it's all about the long term commitment.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm pretty sure you mean he cares about the deep bonds he's formed with the Yankees over the last couple of years.  Remember money doesn't mean much to these kids, it's all about the long term commitment.

Yes, of course.  When he met with the Yanks he just felt that they provided more of a positive family atmosphere than the other teams.  He was assured that he can continue grow as a person, to learn, to contribute to the community, to practice his faith.  That what Yankee beisbol is all about.  The massive trucks full of cash were an afterthought to the kid from the country with the $14,000 per capita GDP.

• Haha 1

I have a question about the legal aspects of all the stuff. Does the act of signing someone from a foreign country accelerate the visa process? They obviously have to have a work visa to work in the United States, but presumably they also automatically get a green card right? And if so does that extend to their families? Is unthinkable that a 17-year-old boy who doesn’t speak a word of English would be expected to come to the United States without his parents.

The Orioles probably have an entire department devoted to handling travel documents for these guys right?

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I've seen that Rogers video before and man does that bat look slow. Lol. 

I only saw the video, but not only did the bat look slow, he was off balance in his swing during the game and his arm did not look like a SS arm. Saying all that, he's young and only saw 30 seconds of video so this is by no means a real scouting report, just impressions from the video.

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Can anyone answer this: Yankees are shown to have 5.4m and yet have signed the number 1 for 5m and Diaz to 1.2m. Can they make these deals before they buy more slots?? Or are these just “agreements” until they can get more slots?

I’m an Orioles fan so this international thing is so new to me.

It's new to us all! :D

It beats trying to get excited over the 300K signings of Hector Veloz and Ofelky Peralta.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

At the time he signed, teams complained to the AL commissioner that Brooks' dad suddenly had a very nice car and that rumors were that Brooks got under the table money.  Those rumors were never substantiated and Brooks has denied them all his life.

But...the Orioles were known to break the rules during their spending splurges then.

Interesting.  I never heard that.  I know the pre-draft days were a little wild west.  Not too different from today - the arguments for the draft were mostly about keeping costs down, hidden behind how it was all for competitive balance.

20 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have a question about the legal aspects of all the stuff. Does the act of signing someone from a foreign country accelerate the visa process? They obviously have to have a work visa to work in the United States, but presumably they also automatically get a green card right? And if so does that extend to their families? Is unthinkable that a 17-year-old boy who doesn’t speak a word of English would be expected to come to the United States without his parents.

The Orioles probably have an entire department devoted to handling travel documents for these guys right?

I don't know the answers to most of these questions, but I think the passage I bolded is EXACTLY what happens.  "Luis, bienvenido a la organización. Aquí está su boleto de autobús a Elizabethton, Tennessee. ¡Buena suerte!"

• Upvote 1

Baltimore Orioles

Luis Ortiz, lhp, Dominican Republic
Anderson Rogers, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
Luis Gonzalez, of, Dominican Republic
Charbel Abboud, rhp, Venezuela
Kenny Baez, c, Dominican Republic
Harold Arias, rhp, Venezuela
Roberto Martinez, ss, Dominican Republic - $200,000

Just now, weams said:

Baltimore Orioles

Ortiz reportedly 400000 to 450000

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Baltimore Orioles

Can you add the new signings to the OP? thanks.