2019-2020 International Signings Thread

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess I just didn't get it. Jokes are usually based on something and we don't have a lot to go on with regards to Orioles international signings, much less those players getting dealt before they hit the majors. 

So if the joke is: our talent debuting in the majors for another team = that's so Orioles, then sure. That would be pretty Orioles! 

No, the joke would be, after not participating fully in the International market for a generation their first major foray would result in a class so poor that it would take six years for anyone to debut and when they did it would be for another team.

On the dark side sure, but obviously a play off of the 2025 comment Drungo made.  Why 2025 for a resurgence?  Is there a joke there?  Will someone willfully misinterpret said joke?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

No, the joke would be, after not participating fully in the International market for a generation their first major foray would result in a class so poor that it would take six years for anyone to debut and when they did it would be for another team.

On the dark side sure, but obviously a play off of the 2025 comment Drungo made.  Why 2025 for a resurgence?  Is there a joke there?  Will someone willfully misinterpret said joke?

Fair. 

I would say I'm perfectly fine with 100% of these signees eventually debuting elsewhere if that indeed happens. This is a very long game the O's are playing here. 

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-international-signings-tracker/#Orioles

Baltimore Orioles

Luis Ortiz, lhp, Dominican Republic
Anderson Rogers, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
Charbel Abboud, rhp, Venezuela

Right-handed pitcher Charbel Abboud (2019) of Venezuela led all pitchers with six strikeouts. Right-handed pitcher Diego Navarro ('19) and lefty Luis Baldiris ('20) each struck out five batters while eligible right-handers Angel Ramirez and Cristian Nunez from the Dominican Republic each struck out four.

Abboud’s fastball averaged 90.3 mph and topped out at 93.4 mph. The spin rate on the pitch was up to 2,528 rpm, topping the MLB average of 2,263 rpm for fastballs.

This is from an article on a showcase for international prospects this past February

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1