2019-2020 International Signings Thread

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why wouldn't you just order them each time you received an order and let spreadshirt delivery directly to your customer?  Tack an extra $2 on to shipping and your up $5 a shirt.

The key to a product like this is capturing the moment.  The die hard international signing fans in my neighborhood want their shirts now, not seven days from now.  By next Thursday they'll have shifted focus to barrel percentages in the Venezuelan summer league.

Although you can expect a small retro/echo demand for 2019 shirts in 2025.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The key to a product like this is capturing the moment.  The die hard international signing fans in my neighborhood want their shirts now, not seven days from now.  By next Thursday they'll have shifted focus to barrel percentages in the Venezuelan summer league.

Although you can expect a small retro/echo demand for 2019 shirts in 2025.

Will that be when the first guy they signed makes it to the majors for a different team?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Will that be when the first guy they signed makes it to the majors for a different team?

Honest question: what about the O's (as opposed to other teams) makes it more likely for their international signings to eventually play for another team?

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honest question: what about the O's (as opposed to other teams) makes it more likely for their international signings to eventually play for another team?

I'll play. Because the Orioles have VERY limited financial resources, when they become competitive, the push for the playoffs will cost them top prospects. They have no real way to aquire talent, especially not taking on sunk contracts. As a small market team with some of the least wealthy owners. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Also, speaking of odd agendas...

It was an honest question, like I said. I'll let you know when I'm agenda-ing you. 

Weams made a fair point. We could end up trading some of these guys if they turn into prospects, which is a long shot in and of itself. I have no delusions about Year One of the International Effort being fruitful in any way other than starting a long overdue process and making headway in the market for future years. We're going to sign a lot of scrubs, but it's going to be good for the organization overall. And if we hit on one or two? Fantastic. 

The Astros found a lot of excellent pitching by trading farm assets and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing for the Os to emulate. The important thing is this: the Orioles are securing more avenues of talent acquisition in order to even have a chance at making those kinds of trades. And the impact those trades have on the farm will be lessened due to said increase of talent acquisition pipelines. 

Just now, interloper said:

It was an honest question, like I said. I'll let you know when I'm agenda-ing you. 

Weams made a fair point. We could end up trading some of these guys if they turn into prospects, which is a long shot in and of itself. I have no delusions about Year One of the International Effort being fruitful in any way other than starting a long overdue process and making headway in the market for future years. We're going to sign a lot of scrubs, but it's going to be good for the organization overall. And if we hit on one or two? Fantastic. 

The Astros found a lot of excellent pitching by trading farm assets and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing for the Os to emulate. The important thing is this: the Orioles are securing more avenues of talent acquisition in order to even have a chance at making those kinds of trades. 

So you wern't just looking for ammunition for another shot at me?

I thought that was a pretty obvious joke, maybe not a very funny one, but obvious.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you wern't just looking for ammunition for another shot at me?

I thought that was a pretty obvious joke, maybe not a very funny one, but obvious.

I guess I just didn't get it. Jokes are usually based on something and we don't have a lot to go on with regards to Orioles international signings, much less those players getting dealt before they hit the majors. 

So if the joke is: our talent debuting in the majors for another team = that's so Orioles, then sure. That would be pretty Orioles! 

15 minutes ago, weams said:

Reading an article like this is why i never am a fan of the whole international process.  I get it that it is the way it is run but having deals practically done for guys almost 2 years in advance is garbage then next thing you see a team like Braves losing out  on a guy because a deal because of age.  It is like offering scholarships to guys as freshmen in high school.  You have guys already committing before they even play varsity football sometimes.  There is a kid down here that has offers from Clemson and Alabama and has not played varsity football yet and most likely will only play a little garbage time this year as the starter is another top recruit senior.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Reading an article like this is why i never am a fan of the whole international process.  I get it that it is the way it is run but having deals practically done for guys almost 2 years in advance is garbage then next thing you see a team like Braves losing out  on a guy because a deal because of age.  It is like offering scholarships to guys as freshmen in high school.  You have guys already committing before they even play varsity football sometimes.  There is a kid down here that has offers from Clemson and Alabama and has not played varsity football yet and most likely will only play a little garbage time this year as the starter is another top recruit senior.  

I suspect this is part of the reason PA didn't like it. It sucks but the game is the game. 

• Upvote 1