Would you trade Means?

DocJJ

On the one hand, we are in full rebuild mode- so no one should be considered untouchable.    

On the other hand, he's only 26, coming off an All-Star, ROY level campaign, is under team control for a while, and has been our best home-grown Starting pitcher... so I'd be most reluctant to part with him.   But what if someone made us a "WOW" offer?

I don't know what would constitute a "WOW" offer.

Would a "WOW" offer consist of an established major league star or two?

Or would it consist of a large number of highly regarded prospects who might possibly be projected as being able to be significant contributors at the big league level - two, three, or four years  from now?

It seems to me that the latter is pretty much the type of "WOW" trading the Orioles did last year.  If they do it again this year, and again next year, and again the year after that, it sounds like a recipe for being permanently two, three, or four years away from contention.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Means won't be here on the next good team.  He has no future.  

You just say that cause he’s an 11th round pick. If we picked him instead of Brian Gonzalez you’d love him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

On the one hand, we are in full rebuild mode- so no one should be considered untouchable.    

On the other hand, he's only 26, coming off an All-Star, ROY level campaign, is under team control for a while, and has been our best home-grown Starting pitcher... so I'd be most reluctant to part with him.   But what if someone made us a "WOW" offer?

Define “wow” offer?

The idea that a player is “untouchable” is a complete myth. Any player is for sale at the right price.

If you don't believe Means will sustain his 2019 level of performance and there's a team out there willing to pay like he will, then you absolutely go for it. I'm not sure such a trading partner exists though. Three months ago, Means's trade value was pretty much in the gutter. Even if he ends up in the bullpen with us, he still probably brings more value from that role than what we'd get in return from a trade.

8 hours ago, BobDylanBundy said:

If you don't believe Means will sustain his 2019 level of performance and there's a team out there willing to pay like he will, then you absolutely go for it. I'm not sure such a trading partner exists though. Three months ago, Means's trade value was pretty much in the gutter. Even if he ends up in the bullpen with us, he still probably brings more value from that role than what we'd get in return from a trade.

This is basically where I am. I don’t believe that that team is out there, either…they see the same thing(s) we do. He’s a 5-inning wonder who confuses/misses bats with a plus pitch, and that’s fantastic, but that FIP and (even more so) xFIP still concern me somewhat.

But no, I just think that it’s too much of a SSS/thin track record for any team – unless it’s truly in what-the-hey, go-for-broke mode – to give up anything of value.  I’d certainly float his name out there anyway, just to gauge the market (if there’s indeed one).