Chirs Davis per Mike Elias

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying they are stupid but I'm also not a fan of pointing to the prestigious schools that the children of the extremely wealthy attended as evidence of their intelligence.

I get that, I’m not really saying they are in the top 1% or something, just countering that basically the entire OH says “Come on, it’s a sunk cost!” Just to say I think that they probably understand that just fine, but $70M is a lot of money to throw away. It’s easy for me and you to throw away that money, doesn’t really matter to us. If Davis can put up 1.5 WAR in the next few years (maybe a reasonable hope) they might feel like they got something out of it, even if it’s not actually meaningful to the team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, makoman said:

I get that, I’m not really saying they are in the top 1% or something, just countering that basically the entire OH says “Come on, it’s a sunk cost!” Just to say I think that they probably understand that just fine, but $70M is a lot of money to throw away. It’s easy for me and you to throw away that money, doesn’t really matter to us. If Davis can put up 1.5 WAR in the next few years (maybe a reasonable hope) they might feel like they got something out of it, even if it’s not actually meaningful to the team. 

Aw man, you were going so strong and then you got to the last sentence.

Even if he did put up 1.5 WAR, it's still been sunk cost.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Aw man, you were going so strong and then you got to the last sentence.

Even if he did put up 1.5 WAR, it's still been sunk cost.

You and me get that. But we aren’t trying to convince ourselves that our dad’s $173M project is maybe not as bad as the whole town thinks. And telling ourselves “if we can eke out another 10M of production at least that’s something, and we didn’t waste the whole thing.”

59 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Davis' performance the last three seasons. Plus Elias didn't exactly seem enthusiastic with his comments on Davis. Seemed more like he was resigned that Davis is going to be on the active roster for now.

I would say you are right.

2 minutes ago, makoman said:

You and me get that. But we aren’t trying to convince ourselves that our dad’s $173M project is maybe not as bad as the whole town thinks. And telling ourselves “if we can eke out another 10M of production at least that’s something, and we didn’t waste the whole thing.”

Right.  But if you're going to give them the credit of understanding what sunk cost means (the beginning of your post) then you have to be consistent.  

In other words you can't say that the brothers know what sunk cost is and then say that what might be holding them up is to eek out 10 million worth of production on a 173 million dollar contract.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

My opinion is that the Orioles win 100 games next year, if we're playing that game.

Fair enough.

I get why you guys think this way but I can't imagine ownership thinks it's a good idea to keep him around.  Maybe Sig and his magic tricks are telling them that Davis can be salvaged.

I think he is a lost cause. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I would say you are right.

It's just an educated guess, but the situation with Davis is unprecedented considering the size of his contract and total lack of production. I think the direction Elias was given is since the Orioles aren't trying to win this year, there is room for Davis on the roster. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, makoman said:

By this logic, they've already gotten that one decent year out of Davis on this contract (he put up a 3.3 WAR in 2016).  It just came at the front, rather than the end, of the deal.  So no more need to hold on to him when odds aren't great that he'll ever be a positive value major leaguer ever again.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

That’s what I was afraid of hearing. However, on this team it hardly matters unless his spot on the active roster takes the place of someone who really deserves it.

That’s what he’s doing with Trey. I know I’m beating a dead horse but Trey belongs at 1st not RF.