Who is next?

mcloy

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, interloper said:

You must have missed the part where I said Montgomery plus a teenage prospect similar to the Cashner trade. The idea was Villar for the young player, add in Montgomery so you have someone to eat innings for the next year or two.

Either way it didn't happen. 

I didn't. Asking for Montgomery (at all) is still a complete waste of a trade piece. We shouldn't be worried about eating innings or next year's rotation. We should be worried about 2022's rotation/lineup. Since the marketing seems to have bottomed out on free agency. I'm sure, if need be, we can sign a few inning eaters to one year deals in the off season to bridge the gap. 

26 minutes ago, weams said:

The Orioles won't tender him a contract this next season.  So get something. 

We can agree to disagree. 6 million isn’t a lot of money for a 1 year contract. The team can certainly afford it.  Not tendering him would be idiotic. You trade him if you can get some real future value. If not you keep him.

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Looks like the Reds want to be buyers, but only if what they get is controllable.  Would they be interested in Givens or Mancini?  Maybe Bundy although I think he would get blasted in Cincy's stadium.

Givens maybe, but Mancini probably not. They already have Senzel, Puig, and Winker in the OF and Votto at 1B. Winker's underperformed, but I think they really like him because he's typically a high OBP guy. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

We can agree to disagree. 6 million isn’t a lot of money for a 1 year contract. The team can certainly afford it.  Not tendering him would be idiotic. You trade him if you can get some real future value. If not you keep him.

He's making 4.825M now and he's on pace for 1.8 or so WAR.  Where are you getting 6M from?

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Here’s my thinking with paying our player’s remaining salary to get a better return...  We’re basically just paying the same amount of money that the team(Ex. Red Sox) paid to sign the DSL guys. So we’re just giving them money for the money they spent just a year ago. 

A lot of people miss that point about Yusniel Diaz. He cost the Dodgers around $30 million to sign. $15.5 million in a signing bonus, and then $15.5 million in penalties. $30 million. How often have we spent that on FA?  Well we got Diaz. 

So Villar is owed around $2 million for the remainder of the season. Well if we pay that and get back a player in the DSL that signed for 500k plus, well then we basically are just paying for that player and the chance to evaluate them. 

I don’t view that as getting fleeced like people thought in the Cashner trade. I view that as smart and basically a way to make up for not signing guys in the international market previously. Plus we’re getting players back with a high ceiling versus someone that already has a ceiling of a UTIL IF/COF/2nd C/Reliever. 

I understand and agree to a point. At some point you need to be able to get a better return. Getting a high percentage prospect and a couple of lottery tickets would be fine for Givens, Mancini, and Villar.

Diaz costs a lot of money and really hasn’t had a good year. It will suck if he busts out!

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Givens maybe, but Mancini probably not. They already have Senzel, Puig, and Winker in the OF and Votto at 1B. Winker's underperformed, but I think they really like him because he's typically a high OBP guy. 

Puig is free agent after this season though.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's making 4.825M now and he's on pace for 1.8 or so WAR.  Where are you getting 6M from?

To pick up he s contract for next year I’ve read 6-7 million. 

Folks here including Weams are saying dump Villar for anything you can get as he won’t be offered a contract by a us for next year. I don’t agree with that take and would lose faith in the front office if it actually did something that stupid.

I agree you try to deal him if you can get real value. If you can’t try again in the off-season or next deadline. 

If nothing else he’s fun to watch play as opposed to watching players that are automatic outs.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Folks here including Weams are saying dump Villar for anything you can get as he won’t be offered a contract by a us for next year. I don’t agree with that take and would lose faith in the front office if it actually did something that stupid.

I agree you try to deal him if you can get real value. If you can’t try again in the off-season or next deadline. 

If nothing else he’s fun to watch play as opposed to watching players that are automatic outs.

He's arbitration eligible.  He's going to get more than a 1.5M raise as an arb 3.

I don't have any data on hand by I'm thinking 8M maybe?  I don't see why the O's need an 8M guy at second base when they aren't going to be competitive.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You obviously find picks off plays more entertaining than I do.

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's arbitration eligible.  He's going to get more than a 1.5M raise as an arb 3.

I don't have any data on hand by I'm thinking 8M maybe?  I don't see why the O's need an 8M guy at second base when they aren't going to be competitive.

Plus team speed is not a cool thing anymore. Except on defense. And he is really not a defensive wiz. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Paying Villar would $6-7 million would be a complete waste of money. He's a poor defender and medicore hitter.If you're looking for a comp, he's a worse player than Howie Kendrick who can't even seem to get regular ABs unless someone is injured. If the Orioles can find someone to take Villar (I have my doubts) they should trade him. And if they don't they should let him walk. They'd be better off signing someone like Josh Harrison or Neil Walk or half the price if they need a stopgap. 

Archived