Adley Rutschman 2019

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Really happy to see this. I understand and support slow playing most of the prospects. Not as much this guy. It looks like he's healthy and we all know he's good enough.

With his skill set, I really think he could have come straight in at AA minus the mono.  AA is where things will get interesting because those pitchers tend to have better control and more developed off speed pitches.  The control will give him more pitches to look at and I honestly think that the level of pitching will be more on par with what he is use to against the tough teams and college WS experience.

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How many top college pitchers are ready to step into AA?   Why do many people think the top Division one teams represent the level of AA or even High A ball?   

Bryce Harper played 9 games at 17 years old in the AZ fall league.  The next year he played 72 games at A, 37 games at AA and 25 games at AZFL.  The following year at 19 he played 18 games at AAA and then the rest of the season with Washington.

Ken Griffey Jr about the same path.

Mike Leake pitched 19.1 innings in the AZFL after he was drafted out of college and started the next year with the Reds.

Walker Buehler pitched 5 innings in 2016 and then went through A+, AA, AAA and the Dodgers the next year.

I am not saying it is common, I am just saying that the skill set of Rutschman is best fitted for AA.  Argue all you want that he isnt there yet, but it is my opinion.  I wanted to draft CJ Abrams and think that he is best suited for A ball right now, not every top player in the draft is the same, just like not every high school kid is the same.

7 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

.462 with 6 BB"s in his last 10 games. I would say he deserved a promotion. Its good to know Elias will move a player quickly if he's dominating.

A number of guys have not been promoted in a timely manner this year despite a case being made for them dominating.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A number of guys have not been promoted in a timely manner this year despite a case being made for them dominating.

Stewart was promoted. GrayRod and Rom I think they are slow playing. Not sure about anyone else. 

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say Diaz has shown enough to get out of AA, same with Mountcastle and AAA.

I think we know what's going on with Mountcastle not getting promoted so no need to address that. Diaz was slashing .299/.353/.514/.867 since July 1st over 119 PAs, so yes, he probably was close to getting promoted when he strained his thigh and went on the IL on July 31st. He could be back by this weekend but I'd imagine he'll finish his year with the Baysox for their playoff push and will start 2020 in AAA.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I think we know what's going on with Mountcastle not getting promoted so no need to address that. Diaz was slashing .299/.353/.514/.867 since July 1st over 119 PAs, so yes, he probably was close to getting promoted when he strained his thigh and went on the IL on July 31st. He could be back by this weekend but I'd imagine he'll finish his year with the Baysox for their playoff push and will start 2020 in AAA.

Whatever some folks think might be happening the truth is he wasn't promoted quickly. 

Frankly I don't think the AR situation is similar to anyone else in the system.

13 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

21st rd pick. Probably not seen as a high ceiling prospect. 

I thought your point was that Elias was quick to promote if a player is dominating. So, I guess that point is actually Elias is ready to promote 1-1 out of short season A ball when dominating.

Is there a GM who wouldn’t?

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I thought your point was that Elias was quick to promote if a player is dominating. So, I guess that point is actually Elias is ready to promote 1-1 out of short season A ball when dominating.

Is there a GM who wouldn’t?

The ones that started him in full season ball.

• Haha 1