Tanner Scott

weams

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Scott is a power arm that has the potential to work in the late innings of a game. The FB/SL combo is efficient and both pitches have deception against LHH. The command and mechanics are inconsistent, but there has been slight improvement in all three of my viewings this season. The risk remains high due to limited innings and command."

From Baseball Prospectus...

His AFL performance really made me excited that he might be ready for our bullpen faster than I'd expected. Glad to see him getting some attention.

Fastball

Velocity: 70/80

Movement: 50/50

Command: 30/40

Deception plays up against LHH

Slider

Replicates arm speed; short and tight with bite

Evaluator Tucker Blair for Baseball Prospectus

www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/eyewitness_pit.php?reportid=307

My only comment is that if his velocity is a 70 out of 80, does the ball need to burst into flames to get an 80? :)

Fastball

Velocity: 70/80

Deception plays up against LHH

Slider

Replicates arm speed; short and tight with bite

Evaluator Tucker Blair for Baseball Prospectus

www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/eyewitness_pit.php?reportid=307

My only comment is that if his velocity is a 70 out of 80, does the ball need to burst into flames to get an 80? :)

To be fair, that report has his sitting velocity at 93-96 and peak at 98. Based on today and more recent reports out late last season and the AFL, he's had a velocity bump and is sitting 96-98 with a peak of 101.

If he currently doesn't have grade 80 velocity, the only way you can get an 80 grade is if you throw the Randy Johnson "super fastball" at 106 mph from 1998 N64 Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball (make sure to mix it up with the 101 mph normal "fastball").

Hard throwing lefty out of the bullpen? Nothing wrong with that. If he can get the walks down in the 3 per 9 innings range he could be a tremendous asset in the back end of the bullpen.

Bullpen? I'm not sure that's decided just yet. Those guys sure weren't getting around on that fastball though.

From Roch:

Tanner Scott, a 21-year-old left-hander, struck out the side in the eighth on fastballs clocked at 98 mph on the ballpark's radar gun. He twice hit 100 mph.

"He was good today. Is that Captain Obvious?" Showalter said, grinning and motioning with his hands to keep it down. He'd rather not draw more attention to Scott, though enough scouts are talking about the kid after he kept reaching triple digits in the Arizona Fall League.

"He's got a good arm," Showalter said. "Shhh. Want to ambush, laying in the weeds."

Those Buck quotes are hilarious :D

Pretty smooth delivery. A lot of pitches were left up in the zone. A lot to work with there. Love the potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think up in the zone is where you want to be when you throw 98+ without any sink. He just needs to learn how to work the sides of the plate and keep his mechanics consistent. He definitely uncorked a couple wild ones, not to mention missing back across the plate when he was trying to go inside.

I don't know. The bullpen could use a loogy. Only so many bullets in those arms.

I'm buying this theory. The guy is a reliever anyway. Minus well just get that out of him now while he is healthy. B.Kline might be pitching in our pen now if we didn't try and convert him to a starter.

I can definitely see why a hitter would be uncomfortable standing in there against Scott, especially a LHB. He was sitting 97-98 yesterday, and he's kind of on the border of effectively wild and too wild. If he can sharpen his command just a little, he looks like an effective major league reliever to me.

I can definitely see why a hitter would be uncomfortable standing in there against Scott, especially a LHB. He was sitting 97-98 yesterday, and he's kind of on the border of effectively wild and too wild. If he can sharpen his command just a little, he looks like an effective major league reliever to me.

Me too.

Effectively Wild - like Ebby Calvin 'Nuke' LaLoosh. Hit the Bull.

Archived