Tanner Scott

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Teams have asked the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> about Tanner Scott's availability. They're holding onto this left-hander</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tanner Scott strikes out the side on 98 mph fastballs <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He looked incredibly impressive. He threw one fastball 96 but every other fastball was 98+ and he broke 100 mph at least once.

Bordick and Hunter were yammering about how he needs to develop an offspeed pitch because his fastball doesn't sink like Zach Britton's. Ever see Jake Mcgee pitch? 90% fastballs and straight as an arrow. Aroldis Chapman has a good slider, but is there any doubt he'd still be a good reliever with just the 100+ mph heater? Nobody goes in the batter box thinking "I need to respect his slider." They gear up for the fastball and adapt to the slider.

Scott has the same fastball as those two. Lefties that throw 98+ consistently and can break 100 don't need an offspeed pitch to be good relievers. They just need to learn how to command the fastball. Bordick delivered the tired idiom "no matter how hard you throw, major league hitters will learn how to hit it." Well yeah that's true if you leave it in the middle of the plate. If you throw with elite velocity and can command it to both sides of the plate and keep it out of the middle, in this era of high K% MLB, you can be plenty successful as a reliever without any more than a "show me" offspeed offering.

If I'm the Orioles I have Scott throwing 90% fastballs until he gets better command of it. He's going to get tons of swings and misses with that pitch alone. If it turns out he needs the offspeed pitch, worry about it then.

One thing I will add - despite the good results, he wasn't locating all that well, BUT his mechanics certainly don't look wild. He has a very simple delivery, minimal excess movements, and the ball just explodes on the batter. That kind of natural velocity is exceptionally rare, especially coming out of a 6'2" LHP.

• Upvote 1

"Scott is a lefty that touches 100 with some deception. He also throws a slider and changeup, both of which are below-average pitches at present. He has some sequencing issues that force him to rely on his arm more than most, giving him some command issues. Still, a small improvement in either his command or his slider vaults him into closer territory at the big league level. It’s a little tough to envision that based on his current feel and delivery, but the fastball should be enough for him to pitch in a major league bullpen."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-2016-prospects-baltimore-orioles/

Yeah, the chances he adds two more pitches are pretty low. Let him work on his control and let it rip in the pen.

Gotcha, saw that he saw some work as a starter earlier in his career with us, would love to have a lefty that could potentially sit mid 90's as a starter, but I'll never complain about one that sits high 90's as a reliever.

Yeah, the chances he adds two more pitches are pretty low. Let him work on his control and let it rip in the pen.

Gotcha, saw that he saw some work as a starter earlier in his career with us, would love to have a lefty that could potentially sit mid 90's as a starter, but I'll never complain about one that sits high 90's as a reliever.