I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

37 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

How does a middle infielder who was worth 4 wins last year have no trade value at a 10 million salary when the free agent cost of a win is 8-9 million? It's honestly puzzling to me no one wanted to roll the dice--did they just figure the Orioles would cut him anyway?

That’s a good question, and there are many facets to the answer. His offense was fine, but this is the year of the homerun; everybody’s hitting homeruns. It is a detriment if you don’t, but it is no longer a special benefit if you do. He steals bases But sadly, that’s not considered an indispensable ability these days. His defense is careless. And it is impossible to fix “careless”

Mostly, I think teams are realizing that one WAR is NOT worth 8 million. A limited player is NOT worth 10 million, 4 WAR or not. That’s probably also why Mancini has no particular trade value. Everybody would love to have them for free, but nobody’s going to trade anything for him.

Villar is not going to ever make 10 million, And he’s not ever going to play a second year for a playoff team. Any team that has him and makes it to the playoffs, will immediately jettison him for a better player for the second year of their run.

Teams are realizing that draft picks are valuable, drafting carefully is important, and arb 2 is the time to trade a guy.

Remember, the team is not a person. Persons come and go and what matters is the team success.

Personally, I was expecting him to get non-tendered, then I was expecting him to get traded. I came to the conclusion that trading him for anything would be better than letting him go.

But there were no takers at any price, so the team did what they had to do. I would not mind having him back, although I would prefer to have a better defender.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, fansince71 said:

Pretty easy to see the outrage in this. We are losing are best player last year, 4war and getting nothing in return. That’s a bit hard to explain to the fan base. 

Do you think he is 4 WAR? Do we need 4 WAR for 2020? It appears the court has spoken and VIllar is not worth 10.4 to any of them. 

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Even though there is a lot of disagreement on this thread between posters, it still shows we care about this team and there is interest that will never be killed no matter how bad things may seem. 

I think they are killing a lot of fans interest.  I am now more concerned about what concert will be at Camden Yards next season than what the Orioles are doing. 

Maybe we could get DC women's soccer team to play a couple of games at Camden Yards. 

44 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The irony behind all your angst is that resigning Villar, a flawed player coming off a career year, would have been a classic Peter Angelos, Sr. move. 

This elegantly states how I feel about it. Thanks. 

The Orioles, at best, win 70 games next year. Villar is a free agent after next year. So why pay a player $10M to win zero championships? Economically, I get it.

Villar is definitely not worth 4WAR; it’s completely uncharacteristic of his entire career, except for one season three years ago, which if not flukey still makes him inconsistent at best.

All of that is a decent enough case for me to say roll with Martin and Hanser up the middle and sign someone else to fill in.

”If the Orioles aren’t going to pay for good players then I’m not going to watch or go to games or spend money” ... honestly, just hush. You didn’t go last year when Villar was in the middle of his amazing incredible 4 win season, you aren’t going this year. And if you did last year, then you’ll go this year anyway because apparently you didn’t learn your lesson.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What gets me is that they are doing things like this but I was out in tinfoil hat land for suggesting that ownership might not want to spend the full allotment for international players.

They will spend whatever they can of the allotment this year and while Elias is in charge. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

Roch now has a blog post about how Bundy's 5.7 million dollar estimate arbitration salary is steep territory for a rebuilding team.   I guess he will be traded or released by today.  I wonder how much money the son's want to take out of the franchise. 

I think this move made me finally except the truth that rooting for a multi-million-dollar organization is completely illogical and absolutely stupid.

It'd be like me rooting for a movie studio to make a profit on Battlefield Earth 2 or something. Like why do I care so much about paying $8 a beer and $20 a ticket to watch this un-entertaining crap? I'm not a kid, I shouldn't care so much about whether a bunch of millionaires hit a ball with a bat better than a bunch of other millionaires.

Last year was absolutely the least I've ever paid attention to the Orioles or baseball. This year, instead of wasting time and money on a crap team that is no fun to watch, I think I might, like, do something that actually makes my life better lol. I dunno, maybe fishing? Gardening? This already feels so liberating. ?

• Upvote 1

I think this move also illustrates why Elias has consistently said the rebuilds are not always linear and you can take a step forward, then a few steps back. Villar might have been the team’s best player last year, but I’m sure if Houston had a similarly situated player (I understand that Villar was in Houston’s organization at that point), Lunhow and the management team would have done the same thing with the similarly situated player. At any rate, Kumar Rocker (or whoever is at the top of the 2021 draft) will mean much more to the organization in 2024 than a 33 year old Villar would.