Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he leave all $70M on the table. The Orioles have no leverage so any discount they can get will be a bonus. If I am the Orioles I start with a $60M buyout offer and settle on $65M if he takes it. $5M is better than nothing for the Orioles, and a small price for Davis to pay to enjoy golf and other games he is actually good at.

And then he can sign with the Stankees and come back and join their BP off O's pitchers.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he leave all $70M on the table. The Orioles have no leverage so any discount they can get will be a bonus. If I am the Orioles I start with a $60M buyout offer and settle on $65M if he takes it. $5M is better than nothing for the Orioles, and a small price for Davis to pay to enjoy golf and other games he is actually good at.

Unfortunately, with the deferrals a buyout becomes complicated even if he does accept a $5M discount. Would the payout schedule remain? Where from that schedule does the $5M come? Time value of money now becomes a consideration as that $5M paid out in 2037 is far less valuable to either party than $5M being paid out today.

I would guess that any buyout for Davis would likely be required to be upfront. Honestly, I would settle to just payout today's rate on the money and be done with it, but doubt the Orioles would willingly take on the present day hit to free up the books for the future.

59 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Not if I already had $118M accumulated earnings (plus whatever profits he has made on investments and endorsements). If I was burnt out at my job, I would certainly leave money on the table to spend time with family and go fishing, as well as to avoid continued daily frustration and humiliation. I have to think there is a happy medium between 0 and the $70M (plus deferred salary) that he is owed that he agrees to leave on the table.

The Jets kicker just left $2M on the table with a lot less financial security than Chris Davis.

Keep believing that Davis leaves any money on the table - right before a new CBA He's the the players rep. 

12 hours ago, AceKing said:

This has gotten beyond embarrassing.  Save some face and don’t embarrass yourself or the Orioles franchise any more.

This franchise is broken with you under contract and cannot be fixed.

You owe it to the fans to at least change your batting stance or something, but this is beyond pathetic.

This franchise deserves better.

You don't like when he closes his eyes and strikes out on three pitches, the third of which being a slider or changeup that he waved at like Harry Potter?

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Davis Cites Message Board As Retirement Reason

The Athletic                                                                                                                                August 13th, 2019 9:40 AM

Ken Rosenthal

NEW YORK, NY - First baseman, Chris Davis of the Baltimore Orioles has announced his retirement this morning.

Davis, the much maligned slugger of the Orioles signed a seven year, $161 million dollar contract as a free agent to stay with the Orioles before the 2016 season.  Davis lead the league in home runs in 2013 and 2015 but since signing the deal his skills have eroded and has been a point of contention for Orioles fans.   

When reached early this morning for comment, Davis was clearly emotional about the decision he made after the Orioles were swept in a doubleheader yesterday by the division leading New York Yankees.

"I know my performance hasn't been great, I know that I've been struggling.  But what really pushed me into this decision was that I was up late on my laptop and looking at OriolesHangout.com and there was this post made by this guy, Ace King.  And he was asking me to retire.

And at that moment, I just knew what I had to do.  It all of a sudden became very clear to me.  He was right, I just needed to retire.  So that's what really factored into my decision last night."

Davis' retirement is effective immediately, General Manager Mike Elias confirmed.  Trey Mancini will be taking over first base duties for the rest of the season and the Orioles will look to make a roster move later on today.

Dude, you know it is against board policy to copy articles in their entirety.  Especially from sites behind paywalls.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Yardball85 said:

You don't like when he closes his eyes and strikes out on three pitches, the third of which being a slider or changeup that he waved at like Harry Potter?

I'm not really into the whole Harry Potter thing but it is my understanding that the kid is athletic right?  Right good hand at Quidditch I think it's called?  Not nice to compare him to Davis.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not really into the whole Harry Potter thing but it is my understanding that the kid is athletic right?  Right good hand at Quidditch I think it's called?  Not nice to compare him to Davis.

He is athletic, solid seeker game, very good at catching the snitch.  Competes well against higher end competition such as Draco Malfoy.  Trained with Viktor Krum in the offseason...  Plays well with Ron Weasley as keeper.

• Upvote 2