Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha. I disagree.  He knows he'll never be the good Chris Davis.  He might have some hope he can be a passable  ML player.  

No one really knows what he believes, but these guys are so driven and singularly focused it would not surprise me to find out he thinks he just one more hot streak from returning to form. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Haha. I disagree.  He knows he'll never be the good Chris Davis.  He might have some hope he can be a passable  ML player.  

I don't think so...you have to have a lot of confidence and quite an ego to play professional sports. I bet he thinks there is still a shot at becoming an average to above average MLB player again.

There are lots of guys hanging around the independent leagues, playing for peanuts at 27-29 years old, who never even came close to the career that Chris Davis has had, who believe they can still make it as a MLB regular.

13 hours ago, LA2 said:

It's up to the Orioles to just stop putting him in the lineup. Obviously, that's not Davis's decision to make and there's no urgency to it until it becomes a hindrance to the major-league career of one of the prospects.

His presence is already a hindrance to developing players on the current roster.  Forces Mancini to the OF and keeps a potential corner OF on the bench.  Also, doesn’t allow us to play Sisco and Severino in the same lineup as often as we could.  So yea, he’s clearly already a hindrance. 

They are running out of reasons not to release him. He would have been out of baseball last year if it wasn’t for the contract. 

After this season the O's will owe Davis $17 million for three more years plus $42 million in deferred payments through 2037, for a total of $93 million.

In exchange for him retiring, I would offer him $5.5 million per year for 18 years (through 2037). That would give him a total of $99 million dollars, $6 million more than he'll receive under the current arrangement. 

Chris gets paid. The annual amount doesn't cripple the team's budget. Since he'd make more money, the union should accept it.

10 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

After this season the O's will owe Davis $17 million for three more years plus $42 million in deferred payments through 2037, for a total of $93 million.

In exchange for him retiring, I would offer him $5.5 million per year for 18 years (through 2037). That would give him a total of $99 million dollars, $6 million more than he'll receive under the current arrangement. 

Chris gets paid. The annual amount doesn't cripple the team's budget. Since he'd make more money, the union should accept it.

I don't understand your goal here.

Is it to end the Davis debacle? Just cut him.
Is it to save money? He'd have to agree to such a deal, accounting for time value of money, etc.
Is it to buy pay him more so he leaves "voluntarily?" That's how it's worded, but there's no reason to do that. 

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't understand your goal here.

Is it to end the Davis debacle? Just cut him.
Is it to save money? He'd have to agree to such a deal, accounting for time value of money, etc.
Is it to buy pay him more so he leaves "voluntarily?" That's how it's worded, but there's no reason to do that. 

I'm sorry you don't understand my goal. I thought it was obvious.

38 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I have thought of this idea as well a Bobby Bonilla day type deal for the Orioles. Davis still gets his money and Orioles get a break because they get to stretch out the money owed to Davis into future years. Which is effectively a discount due to the net present value of money. I think it is worth approaching Davis this off season and see if he is willing to talk. 

If not announce that Davis is being converted to pitching in addition to his role as a wanna be major league 1B. I think the Orioles have a legit reason to try him at pitching if Davis tries to fight it. Davis is putting up recording breaking numbers as the all time worst regular offensive player in modern baseball history. Orioles are trying to get something out of his contract so why not give him a shot at pitching. He has done fill in work in the past and has been less embarrassing as pitcher than a hitter. 

Obviously the right answer is for ownership to just deal with releasing Davis and accept they are paying him the money. But who knows how long it takes for the Angelos brothers get to this point. (Hopefully before April 2020.)

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Davis Cites Message Board As Retirement Reason

The Athletic                                                                                                                                August 13th, 2019 9:40 AM

Ken Rosenthal

NEW YORK, NY - First baseman, Chris Davis of the Baltimore Orioles has announced his retirement this morning.

Davis, the much maligned slugger of the Orioles signed a seven year, $161 million dollar contract as a free agent to stay with the Orioles before the 2016 season.  Davis lead the league in home runs in 2013 and 2015 but since signing the deal his skills have eroded and has been a point of contention for Orioles fans.   

When reached early this morning for comment, Davis was clearly emotional about the decision he made after the Orioles were swept in a doubleheader yesterday by the division leading New York Yankees.

"I know my performance hasn't been great, I know that I've been struggling.  But what really pushed me into this decision was that I was up late on my laptop and looking at OriolesHangout.com and there was this post made by this guy, Ace King.  And he was asking me to retire.

And at that moment, I just knew what I had to do.  It all of a sudden became very clear to me.  He was right, I just needed to retire.  So that's what really factored into my decision last night."

Davis' retirement is effective immediately, General Manager Mike Elias confirmed.  Trey Mancini will be taking over first base duties for the rest of the season and the Orioles will look to make a roster move later on today.

"Right here, y'all"---CD

D44Kn_0XoAEbdE3.jpg