Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Davis Cites Message Board As Retirement Reason

The Athletic                                                                                                                                August 13th, 2019 9:40 AM

Ken Rosenthal

NEW YORK, NY - First baseman, Chris Davis of the Baltimore Orioles has announced his retirement this morning.

Davis, the much maligned slugger of the Orioles signed a seven year, $161 million dollar contract as a free agent to stay with the Orioles before the 2016 season.  Davis lead the league in home runs in 2013 and 2015 but since signing the deal his skills have eroded and has been a point of contention for Orioles fans.   

When reached early this morning for comment, Davis was clearly emotional about the decision he made after the Orioles were swept in a doubleheader yesterday by the division leading New York Yankees.

"I know my performance hasn't been great, I know that I've been struggling.  But what really pushed me into this decision was that I was up late on my laptop and looking at OriolesHangout.com and there was this post made by this guy, Ace King.  And he was asking me to retire.

And at that moment, I just knew what I had to do.  It all of a sudden became very clear to me.  He was right, I just needed to retire.  So that's what really factored into my decision last night."

Davis' retirement is effective immediately, General Manager Mike Elias confirmed.  Trey Mancini will be taking over first base duties for the rest of the season and the Orioles will look to make a roster move later on today.

Dammit. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Everyone else on the active roster is younger than Davis.  Take your pick.

I guess what I should have said: what young players that are legitimately part of the core and are being blocked by Davis right now?

Unless Hyde is talking about somebody in the minors.

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I guess what I should have said: what young players that are legitimately part of the core and are being blocked by Davis right now?

Unless Hyde is talking about somebody in the minors.

Well you could look at it in the sense that Davis blocks Mancini from 1st which on any given night can block an outfielder.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:41 PM, Aristotelian said:

The precedent I was thinking of was Gil Meche of the Royals, who forfeited $12 million after retiring because he didn't think he could earn it.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/sports/baseball/27meche.html

• Upvote 1

After the season, the Os should sit down Davis and try to feel out where is mentally.  Their tone should be as friendly as possible, so as not to put Davis on the defensive.   The first thing they need to determine is whether he wants to continue to play baseball, and also whether he believes he can be an effective major leaguer again.    If he doesn't think he can continue to play baseball at an effective level, there is a chance he would accept some type of buyout, heavily favored towards Davis of course, but any significant money the Os could save, even if its only a few mllion, would help.   

If he still thinks he can be an effective major leaguer, the Orioles have another weapon at their disposal which is an indefinite benching.  He could be kept on the 40 man, but basically he would be in limbo where he wouldn't actually suit up.   if he really wants to play, this might also be a route to getting him to accept a buyout because he can't play for another major league team so long as he is on the Orioles roster.  

Of course, Davis could be an absolute hard ass about all this, and the Orioles may have to just cut him and eat the full amount.   But at this point, its worth a shot. 

21 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

If he still thinks he can be an effective major leaguer, the Orioles have another weapon at their disposal which is an indefinite benching.  He could be kept on the 40 man, but basically he would be in limbo where he wouldn't actually suit up.   if he really wants to play, this might also be a route to getting him to accept a buyout because he can't play for another major league team so long as he is on the Orioles roster.

Of course, Davis could be an absolute hard ass about all this, and the Orioles may have to just cut him up and eat the full amount.   But at this point, its worth a shot. 

FTFY

14 hours ago, weams said:

Needs to make some adjustments at the plate?  Searching for an analogy here...  Like saying you need to tweak some things under the hood of your Honda Fit, otherwise it'll never compete in the Indy 500.  Like saying the Hindenburg needed to make a few adjustments to lightning protection and flammability.  Like how John Hickenlooper needed to make a couple adjustments to his presidential campaign to win it all in 2020.  If the Earthworm Burger Truck just made a few adjustments to the menu they'd be overflowing with business.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Needs to make some adjustments at the plate?  Searching for an analogy here...  Like saying you need to tweak some things under the hood of your Honda Fit, otherwise it'll never compete in the Indy 500.  Like saying the Hindenburg needed to make a few adjustments to lightning protection and flammability.  Like how John Hickenlooper needed to make a couple adjustments to his presidential campaign to win it all in 2020.  If the Earthworm Burger Truck just made a few adjustments to the menu they'd be overflowing with business.

Hyde was referring to a plate of bbq that Davis will be eating back home in Texas. Sometimes you have to adjust the ratio of brisket, pork, and sausage.

• Upvote 1