Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

23 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

He is athletic, solid seeker game, very good at catching the snitch.  Competes well against higher end competition such as Draco Malfoy.  Trained with Viktor Krum in the offseason...  Plays well with Ron Weasley as keeper.

Can he put a spell on Orioles pitchers? You will not give up homers. Chris Davis spell: I will only have words with my manager in the clubhouse and not in the dugout. I will try to swing at the good pitches and not take those right down the middle. 

51 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he leave all $70M on the table. The Orioles have no leverage so any discount they can get will be a bonus. If I am the Orioles I start with a $60M buyout offer and settle on $65M if he takes it. $5M is better than nothing for the Orioles, and a small price for Davis to pay to enjoy golf and other games he is actually good at.

Uh, wait a minute, are you sure he doesn't just stand there staring at the tee waiting for the ball to hover?

2 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Even if he wanted to retire (and I doubt he does), the Union would strongly discourage it. Imagine, a guy with these numbers creating multi-generational wealth (I guess he does lower the $/WAR value, but it may be viewed as an outlier). Maybe we can all do below average and get paid more.

The Chris Davis Situation is not just bad for the Orioles, it's bad for all of baseball. It makes a farce of everything and it's a boring one.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Not all of it sure, but 20%?

I would if I was convinced they were leaving me on the 2020 roster.

I make really really good money, but nothing like what these guys make, theirs is the type of money, dreams are made off.

Glad you are well off, that you could walk away from millions.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I make really really good money, but nothing like what these guys make, theirs is the type of money, dreams are made off.

Glad you are well off, that you could walk away from millions.

I'd still be getting more than I would ever spend.  I value my freedom more than money I'd never notice wasn't there.

• Upvote 1

I noted a lot of posters have talked about the money Davis would have to walk away from and that being very unlikely and I agree completely.  But, I also would bet that deep down Davis believes he can get back to where he was, that even this length of struggles is not enough to convince him he is truly done.    Every bit of contact, every driven ball, even every weak single I bet he is telling himself, that is it, I am close now.   I don't see anything changing with this for quite a while yet. 

• Thanks 1

You would have to,pry

12 hours ago, 24fps said:

What if you only had to put up with the boos for another three and a half years then you would get another +/- $100 million and people would forget you 15 minutes later and you still had half your life ahead of you?  Would that be worth it?

The people who it wouldn’t be worth it don’t hire Boras as their agent.  Davis is healthy and his contract is guaranteed why would he retire?