Extending Home Grown vs FA

Frobby

25 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I am not sure if this is relevant to any of this, but I stumbled upon this NYT article from 1998 "breaking the news" that Latin America was a vast underutilized pool of inexpensive baseball talent.  Baltimore gets noted twice as being at the front of the charge:

https://nyti.ms/2BB5ADB

That’s quite interesting.   And on PA’s watch, no less.    

On Wall to Wall Baseball today, Dan Connolly said a big part of the Orioles’ refusal to play in the Latin American market is that PA dislikes the corruption there.    He also said the Orioles have never signed a Venezuelan amateur who made it to the majors as an Oriole (though EdRod came close).   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On Wall to Wall Baseball today, Dan Connolly said a big part of the Orioles’ refusal to play in the Latin American market is that PA dislikes the corruption there.    He also said the Orioles have never signed a Venezuelan amateur who made it to the majors as an Oriole (though EdRod came close).   

A cynic might say they stopped playing in Latin America when they could no longer fill out their 40 man for 7K.  But I agree with Connolly, being opposed on principal...and digging in no matter what...is very much PA's style. It is actually one of his better traits, I think.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the corruption Dan was talking about is the kick backs  to agents of the young prospects.

From a Rays Fansite

TheSchmidt wrote:this is horrendous.

If you need to cut an OF, cut Span.

If you need to save money, why the hell didn't you non-tender Hecheverria when you had the chance

I can answer the question. Span's money is guaranteed. Dickerson's, in a sense is not, because he is still under their control and under a 1 year deal the player can be released and they just have to pay him severence pay which at this point in the baseball fiscal year is...I think...30 days pay. So if they release Span they are not only paying his $9mil salary but the $4mi option he's owed for next year. Dickerson gets 30 days pay. 

• 1 year later...

Short answer: I don’t know.   I’d like to see us lock some guys up a la Acuna if that opportunity comes along.    It requires some agility and decisiveness.    That hasn’t been an organizational trademark, but perhaps things are changing.   

5 minutes ago, dmvsports410 said:

After this Chris Davis contract, do you think the Orioles will be hesitant to give out big money  again? Are you confident future Oriole players like Adley, if a top 5 player in MLB, the Orioles front office will be willing to pay a high price to lock him up? Maybe give Adley a deal similar to Acuna.  This is just an example. 

Again, welcome to the board. Long term contracts have been discussed here at length. I think referring to ownership going back to when Peter Angelos was a decision maker does us little good. His sons have already shown that they were willing to let all of that go. Just a thought - see what Orioles Hangout as a crowd source has already written on these topics. Or what Tony, the site owner and publisher has committed his reputation to. 

• weams changed the title to Extending Home Grown vs FA
59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Short answer: I don’t know.   I’d like to see us lock some guys up a la Acuna if that opportunity comes along.    It requires some agility and decisiveness.    That hasn’t been an organizational trademark, but perhaps things are changing.   

Assuming all goes well next season, an Acuna deal wouldn't be negotiated until prior to the 2021 season so we wouldn't have to engage in the charade of sending him down to AAA for a couple extra weeks at the beginning of the 2021 season to work on his defense or baserunning or autograph signing ability or whatever.

Considering catchers seem to drop off a bit quicker with full use, I wonder if they are less likely to extend (or if they do more 1B/DH time as some suggested).

Some positions like CF that require speed, which may go quicker than other tools, does CF resigning make sense.

With basically no knowledge myself, I wonder if positions/skill set and other factors are evaluated to determine best risks for long term deals.  I mean, it is just another area of analytics, right?

27 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Considering catchers seem to drop off a bit quicker with full use, I wonder if they are less likely to extend (or if they do more 1B/DH time as some suggested).

Some positions like CF that require speed, which may go quicker than other tools, does CF resigning make sense.

With basically no knowledge myself, I wonder if positions/skill set and other factors are evaluated to determine best risks for long term deals.  I mean, it is just another area of analytics, right?

It would seem to me that catchers would be more likely to be willing to sign long term deals for this reason. If a team knows that a catcher will be there for 6 years max they will be more willing to run him into the ground catching 130+ games per season. If a team has multiple team options to extend him for the 7th, 8th and 9th seasons, they may preserve him a little more.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dmvsports410 said:

After this Chris Davis contract, do you think the Orioles will be hesitant to give out big money  again? Are you confident future Oriole players like Adley, if a top 5 player in MLB, the Orioles front office will be willing to pay a high price to lock him up? Maybe give Adley a deal similar to Acuna.  This is just an example. 

Rutschman is 21.  Let's has he debuts in the majors at 23 and the O's hold him back long enough at 23 to have him under control for 7 years.   So he is a free agent at 31.  Do you want to sign catcher to a long term contract at 31?

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rutschman is 21.  Let's has he debuts in the majors at 23 and the O's hold him back long enough at 23 to have him under control for 7 years.   So he is a free agent at 31.  Do you want to sign catcher to a long term contract at 31?

Might be why they suggested an Acuna type deal. 

• Upvote 1