Your call up list?

wildcard

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

WTF do you even mean by “earning promotions”? Did the bums we’ve signed earn contracts? Yes, if we are starting bad pitchers that no other team wanted, it is preventing our 24 year old minor leaguers from getting starts.

Relax. We’re having a discussion on a discussion board. I can see them promoting Akin, but I can also understand them waiting. All Star or not, his numbers don’t blow me away. 

And  what if  you’re right? What do you want them to come up and win some games this season? How does that get them closer to the number one pick next year?

?

12 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Haven't seen YDiaz mentioned.   Spoke w him at the Aberdeen game for a couple minutes and he is hoping/thinks he will be called up.  I said his rehab is over after one more game and then back to Bowie.

He has not played a game at AAA yet.

If you are healthy and on the Forty Man Roster, come on up.  If you need to placed on the Forty Man Roster this winter as protection from Rule 5 Draft than watch what these current players on the Forty that are called up don't do right and are released to make room for you and learn from it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Relax. We’re having a discussion on a discussion board. I can see them promoting Akin, but I can also understand them waiting. All Star or not, his numbers don’t blow me away. 

And  what if  you’re right? What do you want them to come up and win some games this season? How does that get them closer to the number one pick next year?

?

The key behind Akin's season is that he was forced by our minor league coaching staffs to concentrate more on his secondary pitches.  They felt under the previous regime he had relies too much on his fastball and put up great minor league stats doing so but it wasn't good preparation for the bigs.

So I think his less than stellar stat line has to be viewed through the prism of him being forced to change his approach for the long term good while at the same time advancing to a higher level and having to pitch with superballs.

I would imagine the decision to call him up or not would depend less on his stat line than on things like their evaluation of how much he learned about pitching this year and their idea of how many innings they want him to throw this season.

Pitching wise I would basically call up everyone who is on the 40. They need them to get thru the season and also get another look at some guys. The ones who aren’t called up will be pretty telling unless it is an innings issue. 

As far as position players my list is Hays, Wynns and Smith. I would like to see Mason Williams rewarded but who knows. Would be nice for Trumbo’s sake to see him get some at bats.

Unless he is playing all the time I don’t see why Mouncastle should be added. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

The key behind Akin's season is that he was forced by our minor league coaching staffs to concentrate more on his secondary pitches.  They felt under the previous regime he had relies too much on his fastball and put up great minor league stats doing so but it wasn't good preparation for the bigs.

So I think his less than stellar stat line has to be viewed through the prism of him being forced to change his approach for the long term good while at the same time advancing to a higher level and having to pitch with superballs.

I would imagine the decision to call him up or not would depend less on his stat line than on things like their evaluation of how much he learned about pitching this year and their idea of how many innings they want him to throw this season.

It all has bearing on the decision, but you’re right. The organization knows from one guy to the next what individual plans are for each guy and how they impact the big club. 

Evaluating talent and implementation of specific player directives that impact their decision making will typically outweigh numbers only.

In the case of Akin, if they feel he’s progressing with his secondary pitches then he’s likely to be promoted based on the idea he’ll throw more FBs and get back into more normal sequencing for his specific arsenal.

I don’t know what the parameters are for him, but I’m sure they have a handle on it.

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Pitching wise I would basically call up everyone who is on the 40. They need them to get thru the season and also get another look at some guys. The ones who aren’t called up will be pretty telling unless it is an innings issue. 

As far as position players my list is Hays, Wynns and Smith. I would like to see Mason Williams rewarded but who knows. Would be nice for Trumbo’s sake to see him get some at bats.

Unless he is playing all the time I don’t see why Mouncastle should be added. 

I selfishly want Mountcastle to be promoted and show that he is a major league hitter and put more pressure on Chris Davis, who is obviously not a major league hitter.  I understand that Elias would rather keep him in the minors and get one more year of control over him. 

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

While I can agree that because he is supposed to work on his secondary pitches we may not want to put too much value on him year to date numbers.   I think the O's would paid a lot of attention to his July and August numbers to see if he has been about to become more effective as the season went on. 

That has not happen.   July- 8.25 ERA, August 5.59 ERA.   That shows me that he has more work to do to be ready for the majors.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mountcastle

For those that have used up their Baltimore Sun access,  here is what I believe to be the same article on Sept call ups from the Frederick  News/Post.

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/sports/level/professional/mountcastle-s-potential-call-up-to-orioles-says-a-lot/article_59447789-262b-52ea-b781-ba8f29c875d8.html

I'd say this is a bit of a reach:

All were called up as a way to not only get them some early major league experience, but to show that the Orioles have major league caliber players in the system that they drafted and developed in their oft-criticized farm system.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:13 AM, wildcard said:

Who do you think the O's will call up?

Here is mine:

Pitchers:   Tate, Tanner Scott, Hunter Cervenka*  (still on the bubble: Eades, Shepherd)

Outfielders:  Hays, Williams*, Smith

Catcher: Wynns

DH: Trumbo*

DFA to make room:  Eshelman, Taylor Scott, Ynoa

* means needs to be added the the 40 man roster

Here is my modified list now the Tate and Eades are already up.

Pitchers:   Tanner Scott, Hunter Cervenka*, Phillips , Shepherd

Outfielders:  Williams*, Smith 

Catcher: Wynns

DH: Trumbo*

DFA to make room:  Eshelman, Blach, Ynoa

* means needs to be added the the 40 man roster

On 8/24/2019 at 12:25 PM, hoosiers said:

Haven't seen YDiaz mentioned.   Spoke w him at the Aberdeen game for a couple minutes and he is hoping/thinks he will be called up.  I said his rehab is over after one more game and then back to Bowie.

I think Diaz is still 2 years out. Probably a September call up next year

Here's my list.

Position players

• Hays (He's 24 with 1,300 minor league AB. He may end up being a #7 hitter in the lineup, but it's time.)
  • Mountcastle (Let him play some games and get the feel for what MLB life is like. Give him a few more months at Norfolk next season.)
  • Wynns
  • Smith (Bring him up, but just use him as an occasional DH or PH)
  • Trumbo (For his goodbye lap, if he's healthy enough)

Pitchers - The five best pitchers who are already on the 40-man roster.