Bad news...O's mathematically eliminated from playoffs

SteveA

11 hours ago, scOtt said:

If we had won tonight and ran out the streak... 87 losses... that would mean 34 wins in a row... 75-87. It would be a SAD day in baseball if that team made the Playoffs. HOPEfully we were eliminated when we lost our 81st!

It's theoretically possible.  Imagine a year when an entire division is equally bad.  They play approximately 0.500 against each other, but all of them get beat up by the rest of the league (and interleague play too).  Such a division would have everybody under 0.500 - but somebody would still be the division winner.  To the best of my knowledge it has never happened (at least in baseball), although there may have been a close call or two.

Paradoxically, I would assume the only way to get into the playoffs while under 0.500 is to win a division - I can't see a wild card team ever being under 0.500.

2 hours ago, Dr Dave said:

It's theoretically possible.  Imagine a year when an entire division is equally bad.  They play approximately 0.500 against each other, but all of them get beat up by the rest of the league (and interleague play too).  Such a division would have everybody under 0.500 - but somebody would still be the division winner.  To the best of my knowledge it has never happened (at least in baseball), although there may have been a close call or two.

In 1994, before the season was wiped out by the strike, the Rangers were leading the AL West with a 52-62 record. It would've been interesting to see how it would've played out.

On August 20, 2018, the Orioles  were officially eliminated with the loss to TOR combined with OAK's win over TEX.  The 2019 Orioles managed to stay in the race, officially for an extra 3 days this year.   So on their deathbed (season) they got that going for them. 
Which is nice. 
Gunga galunga.

Despite having a 97 win year, Oakland was only the second wild card in 2018.   That means the Orioles were effectively eliminated much sooner with their 66th loss on July 9th (25-66)

10 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Or three years.

Yeah, right ( I say sarcastically).  The only time the O's will be 'in the hunt' in the next 10 years, is when they win the first game of the season. 

After that, the season(s) is oh-ver.

Archived