Cost Cutting Measures

weams

I had serious issues with the DC government spending so much money on a stadium for the Nationals.  The federal government contributes 40 percent of the DC's budget dollars. IF they could afford to throw away money on a stadium for the Nationals than the Federal Government should have decreased their contribution by that amount. 

53 minutes ago, atomic said:

I had serious issues with the DC government spending so much money on a stadium for the Nationals.  The federal government contributes 40 percent of the DC's budget dollars. IF they could afford to throw away money on a stadium for the Nationals than the Federal Government should have decreased their contribution by that amount. 

So throwing money away on the Nationals Stadium is wrong?

Yet, Md did the same thing for the Ravens, and I dont remember DC giving the Expos owner, a 750 million dollar incentive to move.

At the end of the day, if you factor in, wages, people put to work, taxes, it will pay for itself.

Just like both OPACY and Ravens stadium has.

In fact, Nationals stadium is expected to be fully paid off 10 years sooner than planned.

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yet, Md did the same thing for the Ravens, and I dont remember DC giving the Expos owner, a 750 million dollar incentive to move.

At the end of the day, if you factor in, wages, people put to work, taxes, it will pay for itself.

In fact, Nationals stadium is expected to be fully paid off 10 years sooner than planned.

Maryland financed the Camden yards project with lottery revenues. Not by burdening the tax payer.

Also comparing football and baseball is just stupid. NFL teams revenue share TV money. Therefore protected viewing is not as crucial as it is in baseball.

Obviously your a DC metro guy and I get the bias. With the shared TV market the Orioles were in the zip code with the Red Sox and Yankees. And we’re a large market team. Relocation knocked the Orioles in to a medium market and a tv deal that no one is happy or in agreement with despite all of the other greedy owner agreeing.

It would’ve been like putting a team in Brooklyn or Connecticut.

The Yankees Yes network money pays their entire payroll without any funds from the national money, tickets, concessions etc.

How would the Steinbrenner’s or Sawx owners felt about comparable relocation.

No matter what side of the argument your on there is no mistaking that the relocation of the Expos was bad for the Orioles.

No to mention the situation with getting screwed out of all star games and a constant squabble with MLB wanting the Os to give up some of the concessions they agreed to live with the relocation.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Watching what is going on in the vicinity of Nats Park, I think it’s been really good for development in that part of town.   It used to be kind of a wasteland and now there are lots of office buildings and apartments being built there.    They opened it right as the 2008 recession hit, so the development did not occur as quickly as the city probably had hoped, but it’s been booming down there for several years.    I don’t know if that would have happened anyway without the stadium being there, but I tend to think the stadium helped quite a lot.   

48 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

They can do whatever they want with their money.  But if the federal government is providing 40 percent of their budget than they shouldn't be wasting that money.  The Federal government is not providing 40 percent of Baltimore City's budget.  That was MD money spent on the stadium.  

The Federal government has a Trillion a year deficit.  They shouldn't be providing free stadiums to billionaire owner and millionaire players. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

They can do whatever they want with their money.  But if the federal government is providing 40 percent of their budget than they shouldn't be wasting that money.  The Federal government is not providing 40 percent of Baltimore City's budget.  That was MD money spent on the stadium.  

The Federal government has a Trillion a year deficit.  They shouldn't be providing free stadiums to billionaire owner and millionaire players. 

My recollection is that the stadium was funded from local taxes and bonds, not the federal government.   Here’s an article that goes into some detail about it.   https://ggwash.org/view/32079/was-nationals-park-worth-it-for-dc

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My recollection is that the stadium was funded from local taxes and bonds, not the federal government.   Here’s an article that goes into some detail about it.   https://ggwash.org/view/32079/was-nationals-park-worth-it-for-dc

They still get 40 percent of their budget from federal government.  If they have surplus money we can decrease the amount we give to them.  

34 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Maryland financed the Camden yards project with lottery revenues. Not by burdening the tax payer.

Also comparing football and baseball is just stupid. NFL teams revenue share TV money. Therefore protected viewing is not as crucial as it is in baseball.

Obviously your a DC metro guy and I get the bias. With the shared TV market the Orioles were in the zip code with the Red Sox and Yankees. And we’re a large market team. Relocation knocked the Orioles in to a medium market and a tv deal that no one is happy or in agreement with despite all of the other greedy owner agreeing.

It would’ve been like putting a team in Brooklyn or Connecticut.

The Yankees Yes network money pays their entire payroll without any funds from the national money, tickets, concessions etc.

How would the Steinbrenner’s or Sawx owners felt about comparable relocation.

No matter what side of the argument your on there is no mistaking that the relocation of the Expos was bad for the Orioles.

No to mention the situation with getting screwed out of all star games and a constant squabble with MLB wanting the Os to give up some of the concessions they agreed to live with the relocation.

I actually live almost the exact distance between DC and Baltimore.

Yankees and Dodgers survived in the same city.

Cubs and White Sox are in the same city.

Yes both are larger. But, if you combine DC and Baltimore you get pretty much the same makeup.

The As and Giants are right across the Bay from each other.

Did this impact the Orioles, sure, but the Orioles dont own the rights to many other markets, just because they think they do. Im a Oriole fan through and through, and stop being a Senators Fan in 72, when the team left, and I never took up the Nationals Band Wagon.

ASGs are always a politic thing, and who kisses whose ass the best.

Yes, they got screwed.

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

They still get 40 percent of their budget from federal government.  If they have surplus money we can decrease the amount we give to them.  

This is bordering on a political discussion, so I’m not going to debate this further.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Watching what is going on in the vicinity of Nats Park, I think it’s been really good for development in that part of town.   It used to be kind of a wasteland and now there are lots of office buildings and apartments being built there.    They opened it right as the 2008 recession hit, so the development did not occur as quickly as the city probably had hoped, but it’s been booming down there for several years.    I don’t know if that would have happened anyway without the stadium bring there, but I tend to think the stadium helped quite a lot.   

The area has really changed in the past three or four years and is getting really nice.  Transportation has a really nice office around the corner that has attracted other offices.  Then you have the Wharf development nearby and that area has done a 180.  Wish I had invested there.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yes both are larger. But, if you combine DC and Baltimore you get pretty much the same makeup.

Did this impact the Orioles, sure, but the Orioles dont own the rights to many other markets, just because they think they do. Im a Oriole fan through and through, and stop being a Senators Fan in 72, when the team left, and I never took up the Nationals Band Wagon.

Yes, they got screwed.

Yankees and Dodgers? I assume you meant Mets. The problem is the Mets are not large market so they are adversely effected.

White Sox are not Large market.

The As are small market.

So all of your examples, at least one of the teams is affected.

The MLB model is not to survive, not thrive.

As I mentioned, the model is different in baseball. The team controls the market and the TV money. That’s why the playing field has so many potholes.Something that needs to be fixed. Until then splitting the Orioles market is exactly what happened. Will the Os survive? Sure... but I don’t think you will ever say they are thriving. Winning will cure a lot. But it won’t fix the uneven playing field that exists in TV revenue  And the advantage they lost when the Gnats moved to town.

17 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Yankees and Dodgers? I assume you meant Mets. The problem is the Mets are not large market so they are adversely effected.

White Sox are not Large market.

The As are small market.

So all of your examples, at least one of the teams is affected.

The MLB model is not to survive, not thrive.

As I mentioned, the model is different in baseball. The team controls the market and the TV money. That’s why the playing field has so many potholes.Something that needs to be fixed. Until then splitting the Orioles market is exactly what happened. Will the Os survive? Sure... but I don’t think you will ever say they are thriving. Winning will cure a lot. But it won’t fix the uneven playing field that exists in TV revenue  And the advantage they lost when the Gnats moved to town.

It was the brooklyn dodgers, first but before my time.

MLB is not thrive, its slowely regressing. Its gone from America's sport, to 3rd place behind NFL and NBA, and at this rate, maybe even Hockey will take it over.

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is bordering on a political discussion, so I’m not going to debate this further.   

I agree.  Next political overture will be dealt with. Thanks Frobby. 

To all. If I want to know your brilliant political opinions I will go look at your Facebook Memes. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

It was the brooklyn dodgers, first but before my time.

MLB is not thrive, its slowely regressing. Its gone from America's sport, to 3rd place behind NFL and NBA, and at this rate, maybe even Hockey will take it over.

I think we can all agree that post war America was drastically different from today. 

21 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yes, they got screwed.

For a time but California called and a third NYC team, who was not surviving, my (black and orange) NY Giants fled to SF as the Bums went to Hollywood.