Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Literally no one is saying celebrate every play. It’s confusing how you jump from celebrating a great catch saving a run to celebrate every play. 

We are not going to change his mind.   It’s subjective.   He doesn’t like it.    The fact that he may be in the minority doesn’t mean he now has to like it.  

6 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Literally no one is saying celebrate every play. It’s confusing how you jump from celebrating a great catch saving a run to celebrate every play. 

Should every great catch saving a run be celebrated? Beat your chest celebrated? These games could go on for days. Again, I'm not anti celebration, but spare me from the chest thumping this season. No hitters aside.

14 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

Just for the record, I'm a huge Hays fan. I saw him in Frederick many times, I'm rooting for him. I just don't get the beating on the chest after making a catch in a meaningless game, in a meaningless season. Again, just my opinion. That doesn't mean it's right, just my opinion.

Finally, something we agree on.

When they announced the "Let The Kids Play" initiative and for the players to have fun and show emotion, was that horrible?

Hays made an amazing play. One you don't see every day (unless you watch the MLB highlights.) It's not like he celebrated a routine fly ball.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We are not going to change his mind.   It’s subjective.   He doesn’t like it.    The fact that he may be in the minority doesn’t mean he now has to like it.  

I’m fine with him not liking it. It’s a little frustrating to have someone repeatedly and deliberately misinterpret others viewpoints.

1 minute ago, fansince1988 said:

Should every great catch saving a run be celebrated? Beat your chest celebrated? These games could go on for days. Again, I'm not anti celebration, but spare me from the chest thumping this season. No hitters aside.

Have you seen Hays celebrate every time he does something? No. 

I know you don't mean to come across as harsh as you are right now, but you kinda are. He's a kid who was caught in the moment.

Is the issue celebrating or calling attention to yourself....for the record, I get that today folks are different.  But in my day I loved John Riggins handing the ball to the official after a score.  It said:  My excellence is expected and will be repeated.  Not Holy Crap did you see what I just did?

As a parent with college and high school athletes, it's a conversation that occurs personally.  Generally, celebrate team accomplishments not self...all of that said, I think the pitcher acknowledging Hays for the play was cool, Hays' action in the grand scheme of things is fine.  He has been through a lot to get back to the bigs and against Vlad Jr it was a pretty big play.  Maybe I'm losing the will to be upset, but even if I wouldn't want Hays to do this every time, I'm thinking the announcer got it right, there is your CF of the future.  Now go play like that for 10 years!

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Is the issue celebrating or calling attention to yourself....for the record, I get that today folks are different.  But in my day I loved John Riggins handing the ball to the official after a score.  It said:  My excellence is expected and will be repeated.  Not Holy Crap did you see what I just did?

As a parent with college and high school athletes, it's a conversation that occurs personally.  Generally, celebrate team accomplishments not self...all of that said, I think the pitcher acknowledging Hays for the play was cool, Hays' action in the grand scheme of things is fine.  He has been through a lot to get back to the bigs and against Vlad Jr it was a pretty big play.  Maybe I'm losing the will to be upset, but even if I wouldn't want Hays to do this every time, I'm thinking the announcer got it right, there is your CF of the future.  Now go play like that for 10 years!

Agreed. I grew up watching Cal, so my perspective is admittedly dated. In no way was I disrespecting AH, or his catch. Great catch, and I'm happy he made it back to the bigs. He earned it.

17 minutes ago, sdmarkakis said:

I love the people who want baseball to be a boring game with zero celebration or personality. I love seeing enthusiasm from someone on this team of zombies. 

I don’t think it’s fair to call this a team of zombies.    They’re playing hard every night.    

1 hour ago, fansince1988 said:

Nice catch at the wall against the Jays. That was an amazing play. I didn't enjoy watching the beating on the chest afterwards. It was silly, and completely uncalled for in a meaningless season. Never would have happened under Buck.

You are right because Buck would be trotting out Dwight Smith Jr or Joey Rickard every day in center and playing meaningless veterans in meaningless games

3 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

You are right because Buck would be trotting out Dwight Smith Jr or Joey Rickard every day in center and playing meaningless veterans in meaningless games

I guess you missed the 63 PA Hays had in 2017, the 47 PA Stewart had in 2018, the 191 PA Mullins got in the last two months of last year, etc.

• Upvote 1

Great catch then a home run to top it off, Hunter said Hays pumped his fist rounding first.   Hays has passion and since it has been 2 years since his last MLB home run I am sure he is excited to show he’s back.  Doesn’t need to fist pump every home run going forward IMO.   

Question...... does a continued strong finish and a strong AFL return him to a top 100 prospect?  In turn I assume that would improve the O’s overall ranking.

• Upvote 2