Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

1 hour ago, vatech1994 said:

If Mullins is removed from the 40 man, he will absolutely be claimed.  It wouldn’t be close.  He may not be our best option in the future, but he would be in the 32-36 range for me to protect on the 40 man based on talent, age, and ceiling.  He would be an easy protect for me although I believe Hays has the better chance of being our CF in 2020-2021.  Still too much talent to just lose for nothing when we have much easier cast-offs from the 40.

I don’t disagree with you completely, but for me it would be more a question of “is there anybody better?” Then because Mullins is good himself. I agree with the “fourth OF” crowd, and fourth OFs are common. Remember, at the same time we’re trimming our 40 man, so is every other team, and the idea that Mullins would be considered better than everybody else’s outfield castoffs is pretty unlikely, Because even for us, he was so far down on the depth chart that he was demoted all the way to AA.

18 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I was just using WAR as a shorthand for "he hasn't accomplished anything at the Major League level" by the age of 28. Sure, invite him to spring training, but with Mullins and McKenna probably getting the bulk of the time in centerfield at Norfolk, he may find a team willing to pencil him in as the AAA centerfielder AND give him a shot to make the Majors as a fourth outfielder. 

I think Williams is just a guy, and I wouldn't use a 40-man roster spot on him over the winter.

From Roch:

The Orioles view Hays as a potential opening day starter in center. That’s how they’d draw it up. Williams can provide depth and insurance and they’d like to keep him in the organization.

While this does not say that the O's would keep Williams on the 40 man roster  that is about the only way to guarantee that he will stay in the organization.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/more-auditions-for-hays-williams-and-stewart.html

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

From Roch:

While this does not say that the O's would keep Williams on the 40 man roster  that is about the only way to guarantee that he will stay in the organization.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/more-auditions-for-hays-williams-and-stewart.html

Hays and Williams > Mullins and Rickard

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Diaz is on the come too. They'll give Santander, Hays and Stewart more time to prove (or re-prove) themselves early next year, but I fully expect Diaz to be a fixture by the end of next season.

His season has been under the radar because they kept him in AA, he sustained several leg injuries and reportedly was playing while not 100% healed, and because he’s playing in a very pitcher-friendly league that obscures how good his stats were (.807 OPS translates to 135 wRC+ in the Eastern League).   If he’s healthy next year, I think he could explode.    

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

That too. Wilkerson is a DFA candidate unless they really want to trade Villar. Even then.

Wilkerson has a 771 OPS  vs righties.  He is a platoon player.   If Villar is traded Wilkerson may be platooned at 2B moving Alberto at 3B.    If Villar stays Wilkerson is a UIF or if they find a better UIF that can play SS then Wilkerson could be optioned to AAA.    He has hit righties too well to be DFA'd IMO.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His season has been under the radar because they kept him in AA, he sustained several leg injuries and reportedly was playing while not 100% healed, and because he’s playing in a very pitcher-friendly league that obscures how good his stats were (.807 OPS translates to 135 wRC+ in the Eastern League).   If he’s healthy next year, I think he could explode.    

I hope not.  Exploding would certainly put him on the IL again.

• Haha 1

If the goal is to get Hays plenty of at bats, why isn't he getting them here at the end of the season, as well as in the AFL? It seems Hays is on the bench more often than starting, with players that are far less a part of the future getting AB's.  Perhaps the reason has been addressed and I missed it? Anyway, he's reason number one I'm interested in watching this team. It's not the end of the world guys, I get it, but I am curious why they're handling him this way. Any ideas or insights? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

If the goal is to get Hays plenty of at bats, why isn't he getting them here at the end of the season, as well as in the AFL? It seems Hays is on the bench more often than starting, with players that are far less a part of the future getting AB's.  Perhaps the reason has been addressed and I missed it? Anyway, he's reason number one I'm interested in watching this team. It's not the end of the world guys, I get it, but I am curious why they're handling him this way. Any ideas or insights? Thanks.

They are trying to evaluate many players and minimize the amount of time that any one player is sitting on the bench.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

They are trying to evaluate many players and minimize the amount of time that any one player is sitting on the bench.    

They have to many players on the team.  I think they should be evaluating the guys who need evaluating.  I think we can close the book on Smith and Wilkerson.

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

They have to many players on the team.  I think they should be evaluating the guys who need evaluating.  I think we can close the book on Smith and Wilkerson.

From a purely impersonal point of view, I agree with you.    But in the real world, guys who have been with the club most of the year and have made some contributions aren’t going to be completely cut off.    They’ll get tossed a bone here and there.    

And yes, I realize that one can debate whether Smith or Wilkerson  “made some contributions.”