Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is, for what it is worth.  He's only the fourth player to hit 2 hr and have 4K in a game so the rest was easy.

The baseball "gods" are a weird and comical group of celestials!  But we love them!  Amirite?  ?  At least Austin got the golden out of the way fairly quickly in his career.  CD was set up for another grand finale water bath and David Hess squandered that action (I know they have a plan for them though).  And then Ryan Eades thought he was sorta kinda "all the way back" and slap!  Glad I'm finding about it this am though.  I watched until Shawn did his thing.

• Upvote 1

You can see he’s just brimming with confidence out there now. I’d theorize that the defensive gems he’s had have certainly contributed in that regard. That, and seemingly being fully healthy again.

We’ll see how these next few days play out, but he’s got to have played his way onto the ’20 OD roster, I’d think.

7 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

In case anyone was curious about his rookie eligibility for next season,

Coming into the game tonight, Hays had 103 MLB st-bats. He managed to rack up 8 ABs tonight, so if he has more than 19 at-bats over the final 5 games, he will not be a rookie next season.

Note: this designation only matters for Rookie of the Year eligibility (and other rookie awards) and appearances on prospect lists, it doesn't have any service time implications.

I'm interested to see if Elias shuts him down before he reaches the cutoff.  I would hope something like that wouldn't be a concern. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm interested to see if Elias shuts him down before he reaches the cutoff.  I would hope something like that wouldn't be a concern. 

I’m having way too much fun watching him play to care about whether he’s eligible for rookie of the year next year.    He’s the main reason to watch the games right now.   

• Like 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather he be more concerned about developing the player than the chance of an award or his organization's placement in the prospect rankings.

I don’t want him shut down, but face it, shutting him down for a game is not going to stunt his development.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m having way too much fun watching him play to care about whether he’s eligible for rookie of the year next year.    He’s the main reason to watch the games right now.   

Agreed. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a few more rookies (Mountcastle, etc.) make the roster next spring. If they're able to plug 2-3 players into their lineup who might be part of the future plans it will so much more fun to watch, even if they're losing. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t want him shut down, but face it, shutting him down for a game is not going to stunt his development.   

Of course not, it is more of a mindset issue.

What is more important, player development or awards and prospect rankings?  Heck maybe Hays' strong September is enough to let him sneak back in the top 100 prospects lists, wouldn't that make the farm look better?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course not, it is more of a mindset issue.

What is more important, player development or awards and prospect rankings?  Heck maybe Hays' strong September is enough to let him sneak back in the top 100 prospects lists, wouldn't that make the farm look better?

As between the two reasons to shut him down, keeping him eligible for ROY is far more legit than trying to boost our prospect ranking going into next year.    But I’d rather just let him play.    I’d bet he’d rather do that.   The kid enjoys himself out there.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As between the two reasons to shut him down, keeping him eligible for ROY is far more legit than trying to boost our prospect ranking going into next year.    But I’d rather just let him play.    I’d bet he’d rather do that.   The kid enjoys himself out there.    

I don't think either are legit to be honest.

MLB has a nice video of all three of Hays' defensive gems and hits from last night. 

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/orioles-vs-blue-jays/2019/09/23/566939#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=566939