Players coming off the 40 man roster after the season

wildcard

The whole damn starting pitching staff needs to go with the exception of Means. Just start fresh and hope that Cobb comes back decently. Maybe keep Bundy since he isn’t worth anything in a trade and he’d be hard to cut. Brooks, Wojo, and whatever other random awful players have been thrown out there just need to go.  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, oriole said:

The whole damn starting pitching staff needs to go with the exception of Means. Just start fresh and hope that Cobb comes back decently. Maybe keep Bundy since he isn’t worth anything in a trade and he’d be hard to cut. Brooks, Wojo, and whatever other random awful players have been thrown out there just need to go.  

Castro, Givens and Harvey make a good start to a bullpen.  I think we have five guys who are keepers on the pitching staff.  I think we keep a couple of the other relievers on the 40 man.  Armstrong probably will be kept.  

I really would like them to sign some low dollar guys for the bullpen.  We don't need another season like this one.  

As for Bundy we need 3 more starting pitchers with him. I don't see getting rid of him as he does eat up some innings. I don't expect much out of Cobb next season.   

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Castro, Givens and Harvey make a good start to a bullpen.  I think we have five guys who are keepers on the pitching staff.  I think we keep a couple of the other relievers on the 40 man.  Armstrong probably will be kept.  

I really would like them to sign some low dollar guys for the bullpen.  We don't need another season like this one.  

As for Bundy we need 3 more starting pitchers with him. I don't see getting rid of him as he does eat up some innings. I don't expect much out of Cobb next season.   

Agree except for Castro. He’s too undependable. He can stay for now, and he’s not the next guy for the axe, but his time is coming soon.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Agree except for Castro. He’s too undependable. He can stay for now, and he’s not the next guy for the axe, but his time is coming soon.

Miguel Castro has a 2.30 ERA over his last 29 games (since mid-June!). He has a 108 ERA+ and .8 rWAR for the season. He is only 24 and has pitched to ERA+ of 112 and a total of 3 rWAR over the last three seasons. You are too much.

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

no facts allowed here. :) :)

He would probably crack every other bullpen in the Majors, but apparently he isn't good enough for the last place Orioles. He would be the 5th best reliever on the Yankees and the 5th best reliever for the Astros who are tied for the best record in baseball.

And he makes the minimum salary! He even has an option left so you could shuttle him if needed.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He would probably crack every other bullpen in the Majors, but apparently he isn't good enough for the last place Orioles. He would be the 5th best reliever on the Yankees and the 5th best reliever for the Astros who are tied for the best record in baseball.

And he makes the minimum salary! He even has an option left so you could shuttle him if needed.

I need you to explain to me how Castro has an option left.   He was optioned in 2015, 16  and 17.

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/player-bio/miguel-castro/bio

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I need you to explain to me how Castro has an option left.   He was optioned in 2015, 16  and 17.

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/player-bio/miguel-castro/bio

A player may be eligible for a fourth option year if he has been optioned in three seasons but does not yet have five full seasons of professional experience. A full season is defined as being on an active pro roster for at least 90 days in a season. The 90-day requirement means short-season leagues (New-York Penn, Northwest, Pioneer, Appalachian, Gulf Coast, Arizona Rookie, Dominican and Venezuelan Summer Leagues) do not count as full seasons for the purposes of determining eligibility for a fourth option.

Because 2015 was his first full year based on these rules (he didn't start at a full season club until 2015), it looks like he has an option remaining but he won't after this year even though he didn't use it this year. So I am technically correct (the best kind of correct!) but he won't have an option next year.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I don’t think he’ll be part of our next good team, and as I said, he can stay for now.

ERA ignores inherited runners, and is pretty deceptive for a reliever.

He does have one option remaining, but the rest of his stats are ok. He’s not good( who on the Astros walks 5.5 per 9?) but he’s not as bad as I thought. As I said, he can stay till someone better comes along. Which is what I said initially.

and he wasn’t on my list of guys to purge anyway.

My comment about which guys would come off the 40 man was truncated, and omitted the position guys.

Position Guys coming off the 40 man would include Davis, Trumbo, Smith, Mullins, And possibly Martin.

I’m happy with Martin, and he’s hit much better since the All-Star break, but the argument can be made that his spot on the roster might be more valuable, and he’s unlikely to be claimed, depending on when we make the move.

I think Wynns stays for now but it’s a short leash.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m happy with Martin, and he’s hit much better since the All-Star break, but the argument can be made that his spot on the roster might be more valuable, and he’s unlikely to be claimed, depending on when we make the move.

That would be a bad argument considering he has three options left.  He will not get through waivers without being claimed.