2020 Draft Pick: What If We Tie with Marlins

jtschrei

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

LOL

How many 4.0 or better players did we have on this team?

Fangraphs says 6.0 and higher is All-Star worthy and MVP candidate.

So 4.0 is lower than MVP Candidate, yet, still be better than 4 times a replacement player.

Well a replacement player is 0 WAR so yea, 4 is more than 4 times greater than zero.  Two wins is considered an average ML player so Stanton was certainly well above average.

On the 2019 team Means is over 4WAR and Villar is at 3.9, as a point of comparison. Machado put up 5.9 WAR in total in 2018.

But if you trade for a guy that put up 7.9 WAR and are paying him 25M I think it is fair to say you won't consider a 4 win year very very good and will in fact be disappointed.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well a replacement player is 0 WAR so yea, 4 is more than 4 times greater than zero.  Two wins is considered an average ML player so Stanton was certainly well above average.

On the 2019 team Means is over 4WAR and Villar is at 3.9, as a point of comparison. Machado put up 5.9 WAR in total in 2018.

But if you trade for a guy that put up 7.9 WAR and are paying him 25M I think it is fair to say you won't consider a 4 win year very very good and will in fact be disappointed.

I dont think the Yankees were expecting him to put on his superman cape and carry the team, but adding a player, and even a lowly 4.0 to a contending lineup is usually a good thing.

Sure, you always hope they can repeat their greatness.

I think the Yankees would be happy if Stanton put up 4 WAR for every remaining year on his contract.    But if he tops out at 4 and has the usual decline as he gets older (writing this year off as an anomaly), that’s not good.   

As a reminder, the Marlins are paying $30 mm of his contract.  

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the Yankees would be happy if Stanton put up 4 WAR for every remaining year on his contract.    But if he tops out at 4 and has the usual decline as he gets older (writing this year off as an anomaly), that’s not good.   

I think they only pay that if he doesn't opt out after next year.  Oh so yeah they are paying $30 million of the contract.  That is like pay for 7 seasons get one free.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure.

But the overriding point I was making, that the Stanton deal wasn't a steal for the Yankees, is still true.

It was a salary dump and Stanton used his NTC to kill the Marlins' leverage.  It isn't a case of the Marlins being the Yankees "Farm club".  Jeter didn't hurt the Marlins to help his old team.

The O's win any tie, and as @MurphDogg explained in the Draft Order thread...

18 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

With the Orioles win and the Tigers loss, the Tigers magic number for the #1 pick is 1. Any Orioles win or Tigers loss clinches the number 1 pick for the Tigers.

The Marlins lost and the Orioles won, so the Orioles magic number for clinching (at least) the #2 pick remains at 1. Any Orioles loss or Miami win will clinch (at least) the number 2 pick for the Orioles.

34 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

This thread settles it. WAR shouldn't start at 0.0. It should start at 100 like IQ, where 100 is the average comparable player, not a "replacement level" player.

Of course, that is easy enough to to.    But you’d be measuring something different than wins above replacement.    

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Of course, that is easy enough to to.    But you’d be measuring something different than wins above replacement.    

We could have something called wins BELOW  37 year old Barry Bonds.  It would tell you how many wins less a player had than Barry Bonds a did in his  37 year old season.  

WB37BB.

For example in 2018 Daviis' WB37BB was 14.6 and Trouts was 1.6. Basically just different levels of not being worthy.

• weams locked this topic