Steve Wilkerson just made the catch of a lifetime

Barnaby Graves

57 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wilkerson has a decent chance to be with the O's for a while.   Several years at least.   He has just over one year of MLB service time which means he is cheap for the next 2 seasons.    He has a 783 OPS vs right-handed pitching which is about 70% of the pitchers.   He can play both in the infield and outfield plus he is an emergency pitcher.  He current is the O's 3rd catcher though he didn't have to play there this year. 

His future performance will tell how long term he will be  with the O's but I don't think he is in any danger of being DFA'd this off season.

I was just thinking the same thing and that’s what I came here to post. I think he’s a very good solid all-around player, and I think he’s all but guaranteed a spot on next years team. I don’t know whether he is better than Ryan Flaherty, But Flaherty lasted six years and was on three playoff teams, Including being a star at third base in 2014. Even if Wilkerson is not quite as good as Flaherty, he’s plenty good enough to stick around for a while.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wilkerson better come to ST being able to be playable at every position except C. 

.783 OPS vs RHP. 

He could be part of a passable MIF with Alberto if we trade Villar. Stop gap player with TB Rays UTIL guy upside. 

What is WIlkerson's best IF position?

16 hours ago, LA2 said:

What is WIlkerson's best IF position?

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

2B

Don't forget, last season he had other highlight reel plays at 3rd base, including the diving stop and throw against the Nats in his first start and a "run and throw" to keep the game tied against the Braves, plus the running, sliding, over the shoulder catch as a second baseman in the last game of the season.

16 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Don't forget, last season he had other highlight reel plays at 3rd base, including the diving stop and throw against the Nats in his first start and a "run and throw" to keep the game tied against the Braves, plus the running, sliding, over the shoulder catch as a second baseman in the last game of the season.

The first great play I saw him make was I think at third base last season, where the batter hit a thundering liner and Stevie timed his leap perfectly, jumped and caught it. I don’t remember if that ended in a double play or not, but just the leaping catch was spectacular

1 hour ago, Philip said:

The first great play I saw him make was I think at third base last season, where the batter hit a thundering liner and Stevie timed his leap perfectly, jumped and caught it. I don’t remember if that ended in a double play or not, but just the leaping catch was spectacular

His first highlight was a line drive towards the line. Stevie laid out and made a diving stop and threw the runner out at first.

Just elaborating on Wilkerson, he’s an extremely good athlete who probably could be an above average defensive OF over time.   He had only played 121 professional innings in the OF as a minor leaguer, none of which were in CF.    So, while I think he was below average defensively in the OF this year, I do think he played credibly there under the circumstances and would improve with continued playing time.   But, at the end of the day, he should be a utility guy, not a guy who makes 80 starts in the OF, as he did this year.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

It was against the Nationals, in DC. I was there. Great play.  

o

You bastard.

o

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Same. I was sitting on the 3rd base side, too.

o

You bastard.

o

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Just elaborating on Wilkerson, he’s an extremely good athlete who probably could be an above average defensive OF over time.   He had only played 121 professional innings in the OF as a minor leaguer, none of which were in CF.    So, while I think he was below average defensively in the OF this year, I do think he played credibly there under the circumstances and would improve with continued playing time.   But, at the end of the day, he should be a utility guy, not a guy who makes 80 starts in the OF, as he did this year.

Agreed.  I think he should be a better UTIL guy than Flaherty.  Won't hurt you with the bat against RHP,  can play multiple positions and his athleticism will help carry him through a situation that he might not be 100% ready for such as playing CF.  

I know he wasn't an elite defender out there this year but considering he was essentially learning on the job and playing CF in a pinch he did about as well as anyone could have asked.