Brady Anderson leaving organization

eddie83

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it is at all "goofy" for me to be skeptical that the sons will allow Elias to spend 6M+ on International players given what we know about the team's past behavior.  I think the O's are very much in a money saving mode and that might extend to limiting Elias' budget in some areas beyond ML payroll.

I certainly don't think it should take three years to get where every other team is at.

You don't think it's goofy because it's your take and you are sticking to it regardless of all the evidence that is contrary. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

You don't think it's goofy because it's your take and you are sticking to it regardless of all the evidence that is contrary. 

What evidence?

They didn't spend money last year and it looks like they still have a bunch to spend this year.

Once they actually spend their full allotment we will have evidence to the contrary.

I think this is a great sign, and only reinforces the notion that Elias has full control of the baseball operation.  I thought it was already a good sign that Brady’s role had been greatly reduced this year, but the fact that he was still around at all made you wonder if the Angelos boys had forced Elias to keep him around in some capacity as part of his hiring agreement.  But the fact that he’s completely gone now tells me this was probably Elias’ plan all along, and he always had full autonomy to let Brady go when he felt the time was right (meaning after a full season of evaluating his ability to contribute to Elias’ long term rebuilding plan).

I think the only thing Elias doesn’t have full authority to decide on is Chris Davis’ status, which is understandable considering he’s owed a lot of money, and those types of decisions usually involve ownership.  However, I’m sure this situation was discussed heavily before Elias accepted the job, and I’m guessing John & Lou Angelos agreed to give Elias some level of input in the matter, even if he didn’t have the final say.  And really, if the Davis situation is the only one that Elias doesn’t have full control over within the baseball operation, I can live with that since it’s a major financial decision that should involve ownership, since they are the ones writing the checks to him.

All in all, you have to be happy with the direction things are headed in with Elias in charge, and with Brady being the latest to leave the organization (and I think they are making it seem like it was Brady’s decision to leave on his own accord, just to soften the blow), this just reinforces even more that Elias has full control to rebuild the organization as he sees fit, Davis situation notwithstanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

This remains your goofiest take ever on the Hangout. It has been explained multiple times that it takes at least two years to get into that market because the best players have had deals for one or two years before the signing period. What do want Elias to do, just spend money to spend money?

He has full control (outside of releasing Davis) and has the ability to spend the allotment when he can get in on the top level talent. The Latin American scouting and signing process is the moist corrupt and ridiculous thing that any major league sport allows. It's not just something you turn on in the first year, even with a respected lead in Koby Perez.

And as far as releasing Chris Davis goes as much as we all are ready for this to happen he isn't taking at bats away from anyone who deserves them this year.  If next year Ryan Mountcastle and/or Diaz are ready and he is still taking a roster spot then I think the outrage is more justified.  Chris Davis didn't help or hurt their win/loss record or development of real major league prospects.  I am sure the Chris Davis situtation was discussed when Elias took the job, 

22 minutes ago, accinfo said:

And as far as releasing Chris Davis goes as much as we all are ready for this to happen he isn't taking at bats away from anyone who deserves them this year.  If next year Ryan Mountcastle and/or Diaz are ready and he is still taking a roster spot then I think the outrage is more justified.  Chris Davis didn't help or hurt their win/loss record or development of real major league prospects.  I am sure the Chris Davis situation was discussed when Elias took the job, 

I disagree. Davis has no role on this team in the future. He's a reminder of everything that was wrong with this franchise. The sooner they can turn the page, the better it is for everyone.

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I disagree. Davis has no role on this team in the future. He's a reminder of everything that was wrong with this franchise. The sooner they can turn the page, the better it is for everyone.

Mike Elias does have a role on the team in the future and his apparent taste for choosing the time and place for his battles gives me hope that the Chris Davis situation will be resolved as soon as possible.  Give me me steady, discernable overall progress and I'll deal with the odd unpleasant reminder - even one of this size.

5 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Mike Elias does have a role on the team in the future and his apparent taste for choosing the time and place for his battles gives me hope that the Chris Davis situation will be resolved as soon as possible.  Give me me steady, discernable overall progress and I'll deal with the odd unpleasant reminder - even one of this size.

I get that take, but I just want the page totally turned. That can only be done when Davis is gone.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What evidence?

They didn't spend money last year and it looks like they still have a bunch to spend this year.

Once they actually spend their full allotment we will have evidence to the contrary.

There will probably be an International Draft before they spend all their bonus pool.  The Orioles spent 778k on Henry Urrutia alone.  I think it is a misnomer that they are spending more internationally than they did under DD.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

They are expanding the rosters to 26 next season,  Davis being on the team doesn’t make any difference if they don’t improve the pitching.  You could have replaced Davis with Mike Trout and this years team would still have a losing record.

• Upvote 1

I'm not convinced that the Davis situation means that Elias does not have full control. Continuing to have Davis on the roster and him getting playing time wasn't really that big of a deal this season.  I suspect that Elias was hoping that the money could be recouped somehow, such as Davis voluntarily hanging it up with some type of negotiated buyout.  At this point, however, I don't expect that Chris Davis would ever walk away voluntarily under any circumstances.  So they will have to release him when his spot on the 40 man becomes valuable enough that have to use it protect someone from the rule 5 draft.  I don't think there's players we have that are at risk of getting rule 5'd, until at least next offseason. 

Edited by GuidoSarducci

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It ended up that Duquette, Buck and Brady all lost in the end. Who knew Elias was Bran all along? ;)

Everyone loses at some point.   Time marches on.   Management changes.  Duquette, Buck and Brady had  a nice run with the O's.  They all did some good things.  It will happen to Elias one day.  It could be 20 years from now but no one lasts for ever.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Everyone loses at some point.   Time marches on.   Management changes.  Duquette, Buck and Brady had  a nice run with the O's.  They all did some good things.  It will happen to Elias one day.  It could be 20 years from now but no one lasts for ever.

As I always say. Enjoy this life.