No Fanfest in 2020?

mdbdotcom

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

We are talking about two different things. Baseball ops and baseball business. 

Taking care of your fans is not the same as spending resources on major league talent that does not enhance the teams chances of winning. When young kids get a chance to see an Adley Rutschman or an Austin Hays it matters to them. This is about the fans. 

To be honest Fanfest was the most enjoyable part of the past season.  My kids are going to disappointed.  If your on field product sucks, you need to do anything possible to keep kids interest imo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

To be honest Fanfest was the most enjoyable part of the past season.  My kids are going to disappointed.  If your on field product sucks, you need to do anything possible to keep kids interest imo.

You say this like you didn't read the part where they're just changing it not getting rid of it. Odd.

54 minutes ago, interloper said:

You say this like you didn't read the part where they're just changing it not getting rid of it. Odd.

I've been to Nats "Winterfest" and Orioles "FanFest." 

FanFest was, by far, the superior of the two experiences. I've talked to a lot of people who go to the other events by other teams (caravans, meet and greets, something with "fest" involved in the name) and the concensous has always been "I wish *team* would do their FanFest like Baltimore!" 

The autographs, touring Camden Yards, the promo room, the Kids Autograph line, the different chats, the team store and the discounts during the day, the Minor League teams booths, the Authentics shop, the card and misc. dealers...It is awesome and there is something to do for everyone, no matter the age and level of fandom.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

This move will save them hundreds, nay thousands of dollars.

It costs money to get in unless you are a season ticket holder.  I don’t see how this is about money.  The only thing I can think of is they don’t want fans.

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

It costs money to get in unless you are a season ticket holder.  I don’t see how this is about money.  The only thing I can think of is they don’t want fans.

Fanfest is about building your fanbase, and rewarding your loyal fans, not about money. I used to love fanfest, and even attended in DC before the Nats arrived and ruined Baltimore baseball. I don’t get this at all. 

53 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I would prefer that to fanfest, but that’s just me, I don’t expect many people to agree.

Why would you prefer that?  You can easily see the Orioles minor league teams play.  I am not sure what seeing the double A team play the Triple A team provides you.  If they were to play it seems something that you would do in the minor league stadiums. That would appeal more to minor league fans.

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

Why would you prefer that?  You can easily see the Orioles minor league teams play.  I am not sure what seeing the double A team play the Triple A team provides you.  If they were to play it seems something that you would do in the minor league stadiums. That would appeal more to minor league fans.

Norfolk and even Delmarva aren’t an hour away. I think it would be pretty cool to see Rutschman at Camden. I don’t think the games would create a sellout but it makes sense to try something like that. I would play other teams not have my own vs own.

And once again I agree with you. Not having FanFest makes no sense.