No Fanfest in 2020?

mdbdotcom

39 minutes ago, atomic said:

Why would you prefer that?  You can easily see the Orioles minor league teams play.  I am not sure what seeing the double A team play the Triple A team provides you.  If they were to play it seems something that you would do in the minor league stadiums. That would appeal more to minor league fans.

In a rebuilding offseason, it’d be cool to have a prospect showcase at Camden Yards, they could do some of the autograph stuff too and have some interactive player development demonstrations. Mostly I prefer it because it’s baseball vs not baseball. I also like the idea of getting average fans interested in the prospect pipeline.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

In a rebuilding offseason, it’d be cool to have a prospect showcase at Camden Yards, they could do some of the autograph stuff too and have some interactive player development demonstrations. Mostly I prefer it because it’s baseball vs not baseball. I also like the idea of getting average fans interested in the prospect pipeline.

They did that with a few teams, but the advertising for it is woefully bad.  For example, they had Grayson Rodriguez, Adam Hall and Drew Rom doing a signing in August on Eutaw Street, and I was told by a friend in the stadium that saw their names on the seats when they walked in.  

44 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Norfolk and even Delmarva aren’t an hour away. I think it would be pretty cool to see Rutschman at Camden. I don’t think the games would create a sellout but it makes sense to try something like that. I would play other teams not have my own vs own.

And once again I agree with you. Not having FanFest makes no sense. 

Anyway that would have nothing to do with replacing fan fest.  You aren’t going to have minor league teams playing in January in Camden Yards.

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

It wouldn’t be baseball during the off season,  it would have nothing to do with fan fest replacement.  Look at the dates on these events.  They are March 30 or October 1st.  

So anyway, Fanfest.  I remember one year I worked for a sponsor and it was held at Camden Yards, and I thought that was the best fanfest I had been to up until that point.  Ever since I've been a season ticket holder (2014) I have always had a work conflict and can't go.  However, if they are replacing Fanfest, they need to replace it with another event.  

Speaking of season ticket holders, while I like some of the changes they did with the program, they quietly removed the season ticket holder appreciation day.  They also removed the social media days......on top of extending the nets at the end of the season.  So if you want to interact with players at the ballpark, your chances are extremely limited, if non-existent.  

So right now, the Orioles are in a tough spot eliminating all of those events, which were very popular with fans, both season ticket holders and non-season ticket holders.  Here are some ideas to change things: 

1.) Go back to a pre-season showcase of the Orioles MLB squad versus minor league all stars.  Hold it at Bowie again, and also have different fanfest-type events, or as some said, some displays of new technology at work.  Open it up to season ticket holders first based on seniority.  

2.) Have weekly autograph sessions of current players.  Start it during the exclusive time that season ticket holders have access to the bowl so they can line up early, and end it around the end of BP.  When I visited the Rangers during the Orioles series, they did this and had four players open- Joey Gallo was one, so it wasn't just scrubs.  It was an event they did at least once per homestand.  

3.) If we aren't doing the social media nights, have players show up to hang out with fans during the theme nights/events.  

4.) More events with the community involved, and involve more than one player (i.e. mall signings) 

That's just off the top of my head.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I doubt it's a 1 to 0 type of thing. I'm sure there will be something with a different name and format. Maybe something like this...

https://www.milb.com/round-rock/tickets/astros-futures-weekend

or like this

https://www.mlb.com/padres/tickets/specials/on-deck-game

I just made a post about something like this, which the Orioles actually did.  I can't remember when, but I know it was elementary school for me, so before 2000.  Maybe 98 or 99.  But they had the Orioles take on the Orioles minor league all stars before the season opened at Bowie.  I was able to get Cal's autograph twice, and made it onto a post-card for the Baysox while squished at the dugout.  Elrod Hendricks was at his normal spot, Brady Anderson and many others signed.  It was a very laid back environment and everyone we went with had a blast.  I don't know why they cancelled it, but it would be great to resurrect this event.  

17 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

I read it.  It wasn’t encouraging.  Like watching batters 7,8,9 in the lineup.

It just makes no sense. From mid February- end of March they are in Sarasota. Then season starts. 

When else can you have basically the entire major league organization in one place plus prospects? Why would you not want to have an Adley Rutschman at an event when soon he will be the face of your franchise? 

Plus as others have said there is a ton of kids stuff there as well.  

12 hours ago, atomic said:

It wouldn’t be baseball during the off season,  it would have nothing to do with fan fest replacement.  Look at the dates on these events.  They are March 30 or October 1st.  

I'm aware of the dates, I'm not sure if I understand why a fan engagement event has to be on a certain date.

Also, you really aren't getting the point of my comment or you are purposefully ignoring it as you are prone to do.

My point is that until we have the facts, there is no point in getting too upset about the subject. Of course, media should ask the team what it's planning instead, but I think its way too early to get reactionary or overheated about the subject. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Telling people that wins and losses won't count in 2020, plus not having anyone name worthy for autograph sessions could be a real turnoff. Maybe an event where they celebrate the 1970 World Championship team and introduce some of the top prospects in the system would be a worthy event. Also, have a lot of interactive baseball-related stuff for kids to play.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm aware of the dates, I'm not sure if I understand why a fan engagement event has to be on a certain date.

Also, you really aren't getting the point of my comment or you are purposefully ignoring it as you are prone to do.

My point is that until we have the facts, there is no point in getting too upset about the subject. Of course, media should ask the team what it's planning instead, but I think its way too early to get reactionary or overheated about the subject. Just my opinion.

I think the point is how to get tickets sold like the good old days. The answer is that they are not pushing that. 

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Fanfest is an off-season event to get the fans excited about the season.  A minor league game played at Camden Yards before or after the season isn't getting anyone excited about the season.  Maybe it is a nice thing for the minor league players who will never get to play in Camden Yards otherwise.  I don't see it getting fans excited about the season.  And it is also free to Season ticket holders.  They get to hear from players and management.  The free fanfest and the in season q&a for season ticket holders with GM and manager were nice features of being a season ticket holder. While a Bowie vs Norfolk game might be something that appeals to you I doubt it would get anyone to pony up for season tickets or buy more game Oriole game tickets.