No Fanfest in 2020?

mdbdotcom

6 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

There are three open days, a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, following their last spring training game and before the home opener.   We might see an open workout or such on Tuesday with some signings included.   Obviously not convienent for out of town folks, but might actually get more significant local media play if it was a late afternoon affair.

Seperately, what has ever become of the exhibition the Orioles were to host at USNA Annapolis.   After the Nats snuck in there and played the Red Sox a few years back,  the O’s claimed Annapolis was their territory and promised an ongoing relationship with USNA.  Well they had an Army Navy baseball doubleheader at OPACY and a day when the O’s went down to eat lunch with the midshipman and tour USNA but still no mention of any exhibition game.  Of course tickets to the game were restricted to midshipmen and family and that wouldn’t change,  but it’s just another promise seemingly unfulfilled.

They did this years ago. The problem is those years they did the event on a Saturday or Sunday. How many families can go to an afternoon event on a school/work day? 

The season starts Thursday March 26. It makes no sense to me to have an event on a weeknight in potentially freezing cold weather. Fans don’t attend games that time of the year anyway. 

Once again, if they want to add an event prior to the season that is open to the public by all means do so. 

7 hours ago, Going Underground said:

They are still looking at other things.Not sure why they announced it was cancelled until they had a replacement ready to go.Still could have Fanfest but at a later time or even around the same time. 

One thing about Buck Showalter,  he did many things in the Bsltimore area with his wife.Also bought a house here for during the season.Buck was involved with many charitable events.I hope when Brandon Hyde gets settled he will get more involved in the area. I know last year was probably too crazy to do that as a first year manager 

Half makes me wonder if they were late booking the convention center and are scrambling.....

Years ago they did not use the convention center, they just used the club level at the stadium. I guess in theory they could still throw that together but they said they are changing things.

I love how they release this nonsense to Roch and no other reporters had it. He writes about it in the middle of a post about something else. Almost like they were trying to slip it by. Has anyone from the organization commented at all on this subject? 

9 hours ago, Going Underground said:

They are still looking at other things.Not sure why they announced it was cancelled until they had a replacement ready to go.Still could have Fanfest but at a later time or even around the same time. 

They didn’t exactly “announce” it.   Roch stated in the middle of a blog post that he’s “hearing” they won’t hold Fanfest.   I assume the team intentionally tested the waters that way rather than actually announcing it.    

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They didn’t exactly “announce” it.   Roch stated in the middle of a blog post that he’s “hearing” they won’t hold Fanfest.   I assume the team intentionally tested the waters that way rather than actually announcing it.    

Totally agree. I remember when I got my season ticket invoice and it just went from 13 games to 20 games with no explanation. When I spoke to my friend from the Orioles ,he was not happy that someone who has been with the Orioles many years  thought this was a good idea for one winning season. It was changed a few weeks later after many complaints. i have a feeling it is the sane person who came up with that failed idea since that person now has moved up on the marketing side.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-orioles-13game-ticket-plan-available-again-to-new-customers-20150129-story.html

9 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

There are three open days, a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, following their last spring training game and before the home opener.   We might see an open workout or such on Tuesday with some signings included.   Obviously not convienent for out of town folks, but might actually get more significant local media play if it was a late afternoon affair.

Seperately, what has ever become of the exhibition the Orioles were to host at USNA Annapolis.   After the Nats snuck in there and played the Red Sox a few years back,  the O’s claimed Annapolis was their territory and promised an ongoing relationship with USNA.  Well they had an Army Navy baseball doubleheader at OPACY and a day when the O’s went down to eat lunch with the midshipman and tour USNA but still no mention of any exhibition game.  Of course tickets to the game were restricted to midshipmen and family and that wouldn’t change,  but it’s just another promise seemingly unfulfilled.

That was petty what they did with the territory rights. They could have let the Nationals play in 2018 at the USNA. Would anyone have cared if they did? How would it have hurt the Orioles? The Orioles promised a game in 2019 but said it could not come together but in 2020 it would happen. We shall see since the Orioles have four days after their last exhibition game to play at the USNA.

Naval Academy athletics officials have confirmed to The Capital the Baltimore Orioles will not play an exhibition game against another Major League Baseball team at Max Bishop Stadium as originally announced.

Navy athletics spokesman Scott Strasemeier said the Orioles were unable to find an opponent to play the proposed March exhibition this year. Strasemeier said the Orioles are “actively seeking” another major league team willing to play an exhibition at the Naval Academy in 2020.

That event led the Baltimore Orioles to file a complaint with Major League Baseball citing a territorial violation. In 2005, the MLB Constitution was amended to state that every county in Maryland, including Anne Arundel, was Orioles territory.

“The Orioles worked very hard to find an opponent for 2019 and it just didn’t work out,” Ruden said. “I know the Orioles have already engaged in discussions with a handful of teams for 2020 and we feel confident the exhibition will come together next March.”

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy/ac-cs-orioles-exhibition-navy-20190116-story.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Totally agree. I remember when I got my season ticket invoice and it just went from 13 games to 20 games with no explanation. When I spoke to my friend from the Orioles ,he was not happy that someone who has been with the Orioles many years  thought this was a good idea for one winning season. It was changed a few weeks later after many complaints. i have a feeling it is the sane person who came up with that failed idea since that person now has moved up on the marketing side.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-orioles-13game-ticket-plan-available-again-to-new-customers-20150129-story.html

Yeah I wonder what genius decided since a marketing event didn't make money for the team it was not worth having.  Like Auto show, Boat Show, and RV Show should stop happening as manufactures should realize they don't make money off the events. Perhaps everyone should stop advertising as it costs money.   

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah I wonder what genius decided since a marketing event didn't make money for the team it was not worth having.  Like Auto show, Boat Show, and RV Show should stop happening as manufactures should realize they don't make money off the events. Perhaps everyone should stop advertising as it costs money.   

I’m sure the analysis is more sophisticated than that.   For one thing, if you rent a convention center designed to hold 15,000+ people and 3,000 show up for your event, then you really have egg on your face.    That just generates negative publicity.    It’s not just about whether the event shows a direct profit.   Frankly, I doubt it ever did.   

My eight year old son absolutely loved meeting players at Fanfest, so I decided to send an email yesterday to the Orioles, expressing our disappointment in the cancellation of Fanfest, which was confirmed by an Orioles Representative.  I responded with other issues I had, between flash sales for games I had tickets for and the quality of the giveaways in recent years.  Here is the response I received today:

Thank you for your response, and taking the time to share your feedback as a Birdland Member.

New this year, we restructured our season ticket plans to be Birdland Memberships which included benefits like MLB’s most flexible exchange policy, discounts on concessions and merchandise, and more. We introduced our Birdland Rewards program which it looks like you used to get access to a couple giveaway items. We also expanded on our early admission for members by extending it to 1 hour prior to the general public on all Friday and Saturday home games. We believe that this gave our members exclusive access to batting practice and the players that isn’t given to the general public. 

While we will continue to offer other flash sales and special ticket offers next season, we will continue to make sure that the Birdland Membership is the best value we offer. We certainly take the feedback that we received from the surveys throughout the year to make improvements for 2020, and we are working to expand our Birdland Rewards events to include options with player interactions.

We have a new senior leadership team here on the business side of the organization who are working to create more engaging and personal experiences for all fans. While FanFest will not be coming back in its same capacity this offseason, there will be new opportunities throughout the year for you and your son to stay engaged. I would encourage you to stay tuned through our social media accounts, website, and email newsletter for updates as we have more details.

I will pass your feedback along to the appropriate departments regarding promotional items and player appearances throughout the season. If you have any other feedback that you would like to share with us now or in the future please feel free to reach us at this email address (members@orioles.com)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure the analysis is more sophisticated than that.   For one thing, if you rent a convention center designed to hold 15,000+ people and 3,000 show up for your event, then you really have egg on your face.    That just generates negative publicity.    It’s not just about whether the event shows a direct profit.   Frankly, I doubt it ever did.   

as the team rebuilds, I suspect, we will see it readded to the schedule.

I think you are right, not about making money or losing money.

Right now, this team just doesnt have too much in the way of marketable players. Again, just my opinion.

I think in a couple of years, and Elias is able to work this "game plan", things will improve.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

as the team rebuilds, I suspect, we will see it readded to the schedule.

I think you are right, not about making money or losing money.

Right now, this team just doesnt have too much in the way of marketable players. Again, just my opinion.

I think in a couple of years, and Elias is able to work this "game plan", things will improve.

It's the team's job to market what players they have.

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's the team's job to market what players they have.

But there is no law saying they have to do it by holding a Fanfest.   

Also, they’re in a position where they could be marketing the very players who Elias is “marketing” for a trade.    Imagine having a big ad campaign featuring Trey Mancini, and next thing you know, he’s gone.    The O’s are particularly vulnerable to that right now with their more recognizable players.