Catching

wildcard

On 10/21/2019 at 1:29 PM, weams said:

You know, that is a fun take. But the game has changed so, I am not sure that a catcher has any real input now. It is the pitcher calling his shots or the guy with the ipad telling the catcher what to have him throw. Unless the guy is Verlander, the coach comes and gets him if he does not throw it.  The game, it's a changing. 

I really think this is where it's going.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Good article. Depressing, but good.

Sadly, as bad as Sisco is, Severino is worse. 

Oh well...

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Might want to check the math on that one, especially the second half of the season.

The single to double line is nonsense of course.  Sisco is generally on pace to allow 60 or so SB in 120 games.  That isn't going to greatly impact runs allowed.

Folks continually overrate the impact of stolen bases.

The bat is the real issue.

Nothing to lose by throwing him out there for another season but I'm not optimistic.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The single to double line is nonsense of course.  Sisco is generally on pace to allow 60 or so SB in 120 games.  That isn't going to greatly impact runs allowed.

Nothing to lose by throwing him out there for another season but I'm not optimistic.

I used to care.   Then we drafted Rutschman.   

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep. 

Obviously the better he plays the better it is for the team but in the grand scheme of things it isn't important.

If his bat came around, he could possibly provide some use elsewhere after Rutchsman gets to Baltimore. If not...Cya.

• 3 weeks later...

A few comments from Hyde:

Sisco: 

“When he got to us he was really swinging the bat well,” said manager Brandon Hyde. “For me, it was more of a confidence issue. I think he got in a little bit of a funk and had a hard time getting out of it. (But) I was happy with how he caught. I thought he really improved from spring training to the last game of the year, defensively, and I think there’s still a lot of room to grow defensively. But I know he’s putting it on himself this offseason to go to a facility and work on some swing thoughts that we had, as well as his body and other things.

“There was a lot of conversations at the end of the year about things he could do this winter to improve and come into spring training. I know Cos (Tim Cossins) is going to go see him and it sounds like he’s doing that.”

Severino: 

“Sevy is another guy that really improved his defense over the course of the year,” Hyde said. “He’s always been kind of a catch-first, throw-, bat-second guy and swung the bat well for us, especially against left-handed pitching.

“I like the raw power. Sevy’s really strong. I felt like he was coming into his own offensively. He played more this year than he has in the past, and is still kind of learning the big league game a little bit. Tough to do as a young player behind the plate without a ton of at-bats.

“I thought he improved defensively over the course of the year and he had a nice year offensively. He’s got some big power to center. He’s got bat-to-ball skills. So yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing Sevy in spring training.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/12/talking-about-orioles-catchers-and-outfielders.html

On 11/22/2019 at 5:54 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If you read this word for word, Cicere is high on Sisco's future:

there’s nothing to suggest Sisco is nothing more than a spring training All-Star.

Apparently, Sisco is far greater than a Spring Training All-Star.