Catching

wildcard

Catchers have the steepest learning curve of all the position players. I don’t think we should stress too much over two catchers that were 24 and 25 last year. Plus, they’re all we have in the system until AR is ready. I expect decent overall improvements from the both of them next year. We have a pretty good platoon situation next year, rather than a #1 and #2. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/blue-jays-rumors-hyun-jin-ryu-david-price-ja-happ.html

• Orioles skipper Brandon Hyde tells Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com that catcher Pedro Severino is going to “get a lot of innings behind home plate and get a lot of at-bats next year.” Hyde stopped short of firmly declaring Severino the starter over former top prospect Chance Sisco and defensive-minded Austin Wynns, but the 26-year-old Severino was clearly Baltimore’s best option in 2019, when he slashed .249/.321/.420 in 341 plate appearances. Unlike Sisco and Wynns, he’s also out of minor league options, which should afford him a lengthier leash in the event of some early struggles. Kubatko notes that the O’s are still in the market for some catching depth, although one would imagine that with three backstops already on the 40-man roster, that could simply be a minor league pact for a veteran receiver.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Could it make sense to start Sisco in AAA to work on his swing and defense?  Plus to get everyday C ABs. He’s only 25. This way it gives us a good chance to keep both Severino and Sisco in rhythm coming out of ST, and gives us an accurate chance to evaluate Severino as a traditional starter.  

And sign Joseph as your back up?

“I think Sevy’s going to play a lot, like he did last year,” Hyde said. “It was pretty cool how he took advantage of an opportunity. We got him from the Nationals. He performed, he played really well, swung the bat well and improved over the course of the year. So we’re excited about the development that he’s made and how much he improved over the course of last season.

“Yeah, I think you’ll see him get a lot of innings behind home plate and get a lot of at-bats next year.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/12/severino-superstitions-and-more.html

I’m trying to understand exactly what Severino improved during the year.    He hit .272/.339/.479 in the first half, and .221/.298/.346 in the second half.   He began the year by throwing out 9 of the first 12 runners who tried to steal; he threw out 4 of 43 the remainder of the season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Could it make sense to start Sisco in AAA to work on his swing and defense?  Plus to get everyday C ABs. He’s only 25. This way it gives us a good chance to keep both Severino and Sisco in rhythm coming out of ST, and gives us an accurate chance to evaluate Severino as a traditional starter.  

Makes little sense to me. Coach him at the ML level see if he can make the jump. The team is going nowhere. 2021 AR should be knocking at the door. See what Sisco has or doesn't have and move on.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:
“I think Sevy’s going to play a lot, like he did last year,” Hyde said. “It was pretty cool how he took advantage of an opportunity. We got him from the Nationals. He performed, he played really well, swung the bat well and improved over the course of the year. So we’re excited about the development that he’s made and how much he improved over the course of last season.

“Yeah, I think you’ll see him get a lot of innings behind home plate and get a lot of at-bats next year.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/12/severino-superstitions-and-more.html

I’m trying to understand exactly what Severino improved during the year.    He hit .272/.339/.479 in the first half, and .221/.298/.346 in the second half.   He began the year by throwing out 9 of the first 12 runners who tried to steal; he threw out 4 of 43 the remainder of the season.

Manager spin.

10 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Coach him at the ML level see if he can make the jump

Hasn’t he already shown lapses that should have been solved at A? But he’s not hitting either.

He’s had plenty of opportunity at catcher. Maybe try him at a different position. Or even keep him at catcher. He won’t be part of our next .500 team so it doesn’t really matter.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Manager spin.

Well, at the halfway point of the season, the pitchers had a 6.20 ERA when Severino was behind the plate, but by the end of the year, that figure was down to 5.43 (so maybe about a 4.70 ERA in the second half, depending on how equal the playing time was with the first half).     That could be sheer coincidence, but it’s possible Severino was improving in some of the defensive areas outside of stopping the running game.   

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1) Roch has to write something every day. A lot of it is claptrap.

2) Severino May have just gotten tired over the final few weeks.

3)It’s easy to be disappointed is Sisco. Hyde may well prefer Severino because he’s a real catcher, even if he’s not very good.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

1) Roch has to write something every day. A lot of it is claptrap.

2) Severino May have just gotten tired over the final few weeks.

3)It’s easy to be disappointed is Sisco. Hyde may well prefer Severino because he’s a real catcher, even if he’s not very good.

Yeah, I wasn’t even commenting about Sisco, who also hit worse as the year went along (.542 OPS after the all star break).    But the fact that Sisco was worse doesn’t mean that Severino improved.    As noted above, maybe Hyde was referring to his game calling skills or aspects of defense other than controlling the running game.    Or, it was just a manager saying encouraging things, as managers are wont to do.

He also said this about Sisco:

“I thought he really improved from spring training to the last game of the year defensively, and I think there’s still a lot of room to grow defensively...”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/12/12/orioles-leave-winter-meetings-without-big-prize-looking-catching-help-hyde-severino-sisco/amp/

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

And sign Joseph as your back up?

Heck no.  Wynns is what he is.  I was more thinking of doing a 75/25 catching split with Severino/Wynns to start the season.  Throw Severino out there in a full time catcher role and see how he what he can do.  Sounds like Sisco needs to do alot of work to his swing to have sustained MLB success.  Sisco can then get everyday catcher AB's in AAA and work on his swing and defense.  I'm still as high on Sisco as anyone.  At 25, it wouldn't be the worst to have him go back to AAA and work on things.  It would be beneficial to Sisco and Severino in the long run.