Catching

wildcard

Roch wrote an article on the O's catching and I think he gets the basics right.    Severino and Sisco are back for 2020.  Rutschman work his way through he minors next season getting ready to join the O's n 2021.   But I think he missing on the rest of the catching.

Buck Britton called Carlos Perez the Baysox unsung hero.   He was key to the development of the Baysox pitching crowd.   He taught them how to set up hitters and sequence their pitches.  He was the veteran teaching the kids.    He will move to Norfolk with the Baysox pitchers in 2020 is my guess.   Wynns will come off the 40 man roster is my guess and I think  he will be offered a job to pair with Perez at AAA.   Cumberland is eligible for the Rule 5 draft and the O's will not protect him.  If he makes in through the draft he will join Norfolk has the DH/C.   His bat is better than he glove.   

I don't think the O's need to add a veteran catcher if Perez, Wynns and Cumberland stay with the O's.   JMO

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/10/catching-up-on-the-orioles-catching-situation.html 

Perez isn't a major league catcher.  At 28 he spent the whole year in AA.  He has a .576 MLB OPS.  I'm sure he's a good defensive catcher, he better be if his MLB OPS is 50 points behind Caleb Joseph.

You can read all you want into Buck Britton's comments, but to an outsider Wynns and Perez are the same player.  And neither of them are more than a 3rd-string MLB catcher.

• Upvote 2

I was a big fan of Severino early on but became really disenchanted with his defense as the season wore on. I would certainly be open to offers on him while also keeping an eye out for the next Severino in the Rule 5 or waiver wire. Catcher is a major weakness and I would like to see what the young pitchers can do with a competent catcher managing the game. Right now it feels like they are pitching with one hand tied behind their back. I do see bbref has him with positive dWAR but I am curious how they figure that with 24% CS and numerous passed balls etc.

I understand we need to keep Sisco to see how his bat plays.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I was a big fan of Severino early on but became really disenchanted with his defense as the season wore on. I would certainly be open to offers on him while also keeping an eye out for the next Severino in the Rule 5 or waiver wire. Catcher is a major weakness and I would like to see what the young pitchers can do with a competent catcher managing the game. Right now it feels like they are pitching with one hand tied behind their back. I do see bbref has him with positive dWAR but I am curious how they figure that with 24% CS and numerous passed balls etc.

I understand we need to keep Sisco to see how his bat plays.

Everyone was a fan of Severino when he put up an 818 OPS in the first half.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Roch wrote an article on the O's catching and I think he gets the basics right.    Severino and Sisco are back for 2020.  Rutschman work his way through he minors next season getting ready to join the O's n 2021.   But I think he missing on the rest of the catching.....

I don't think the O's need to add a veteran catcher if Perez, Wynns and Cumberland stay with the O's.   JMO

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/10/catching-up-on-the-orioles-catching-situation.html 

All Roch said was, “I’d expect another catcher to join the organization, even if for depth purposes.“

I think it’s a foregone conclusion that we’ll add a catcher or two before spring training.    It doesn’t mean that whoever they acquire will slot above the players you named.    That will be sorted out in spring training.   

• Upvote 1

The catching situation seems pretty set. 

Sisco/Severino platoon. Wynns good defensive catcher with a patient eye. Hopefully Cumberland and Cervenka stay healthy so we can see if they are anything. Rutschman finishes in Bowie I’d say. Maybe a Sucre/Perez type is added to round out the upper minors. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

All Roch said was, “I’d expect another catcher to join the organization, even if for depth purposes.“

I think it’s a foregone conclusion that we’ll add a catcher or two before spring training.    It doesn’t mean that whoever they acquire will slot above the players you named.    That will be sorted out in spring training.   

Roch did not even mention Perez.  And didn't talk about how he helped the pitchers at Bowie.   I think that is a oversight when talking about the catching in the O's upper minors.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Perez isn't a major league catcher.  At 28 he spent the whole year in AA.  He has a .576 MLB OPS.  I'm sure he's a good defensive catcher, he better be if his MLB OPS is 50 points behind Caleb Joseph.

You can read all you want into Buck Britton's comments, but to an outsider Wynns and Perez are the same player.  And neither of them are more than a 3rd-string MLB catcher.

I agree with that but I think the O's will offer Perez a spot at AAA to continue to help the young pitchers develop.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

The catching situation seems pretty set. 

Sisco/Severino platoon. Wynns good defensive catcher with a patient eye. Hopefully Cumberland and Cervenka stay healthy so we can see if they are anything. Rutschman finishes in Bowie I’d say. Maybe a Sucre/Perez type is added to round out the upper minors. 

Agreed. I don;t see catching situation as a priority. It's all about the pitching. If you throw a ball waist-high middle of plate, it doesn't matter whose catching.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Whammer said:

Agreed. I don;t see catching situation as a priority. It's all about the pitching. If you throw a ball waist-high middle of plate, it doesn't matter whose catching.

I think the catcher is the most important position in the whole game, they control the pitch selection, they control the pitcher and try to get them focus on task in hand, they also keep aware of positioning of the defensive players, keep the ball in front of them, and throw out opposing runners.

Yes, if the pitcher on the mound is MEH, then, the rest of the game is pretty much useless.

But, the catcher is critical.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think the catcher is the most important position in the whole game, they control the pitch selection, they control the pitcher and try to get them focus on task in hand, they also keep aware of positioning of the defensive players, keep the ball in front of them, and throw out opposing runners.

Yes, if the pitcher on the mound is MEH, then, the rest of the game is pretty much useless.

But, the catcher is critical.

The pitcher controls pitch selection.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The pitcher controls pitch selection.

The pitcher can call off the catcher, correct.

If you have a veteran catcher like Matt was, and a younger pitcher a little wet behind the ears, shake the catcher off, too much, then I am not surprise when the mask comes off, the catcher calls time, and visits the mound, to remind the pitcher, whose the boss on the field.

Now, if its a veteran pitcher like Mussina, yes, you are control, he pretty much threw what he wanted to.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

The pitcher can call off the catcher, correct.

If you have a veteran catcher like Matt was, and a younger pitcher a little wet behind the ears, shake the catcher off, too much, then I am not surprise when the mask comes off, the catcher calls time, and visits the mound, to remind the pitcher, whose the boss on the field.

Now, if its a veteran pitcher like Mussina, yes, you are control, he pretty much threw what he wanted to.

The boss is the pitcher.  He has to make the pitch, he's the one that that is most impacted by the results.