Aaron Brooks

wildcard

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounds to me likely Brooks' agent got him an offer from the KBO that was higher than the O's did not wanted  to match.

About to turn 30.  Career MLB ERA of 6.49, 6.5 K/9, low-90s fastball.  If the Kia Tigers want to pay him $800k or $1M, then good for Aaron Brooks.  There was no guarantee he was even going to make the Orioles' roster. 

Hopefully he ends up like Tyler Wilson: below-replacement MLBer, but one of the top 10 pitchers in Korea last year.  It's nice that there are leagues where these kind of guys can find some success and earn some money at a level befitting their talents.  They're really good pitchers, just not quite major leaguers.  As a bonus he gets to hang out in a cool culture with great food and the world's fastest internet connections.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

About to turn 30.  Career MLB ERA of 6.49, 6.5 K/9, low-90s fastball.  If the Kia Tigers want to pay him $800k or $1M, then good for Aaron Brooks.  There was no guarantee he was even going to make the Orioles' roster. 

Hopefully he ends up like Tyler Wilson: below-replacement MLBer, but one of the top 10 pitchers in Korea last year.  It's nice that there are leagues where these kind of guys can find some success and earn some money at a level befitting their talents.  They're really good pitchers, just not quite major leaguers.  As a bonus he gets to hang out in a cool culture with great food and the world's fastest internet connections.

I do too. It is no shame to be less great than the 800 that can play MLB baseball. Or is it 850 now. 

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

And Korean is much easier than Japanese and there’s less Communism in Korean. The TV shows are better too.

good luck Aaron.

so now the 40-man is 35.

I'm curious why you think that is true.

I do know that when I was attending the Defense Language Institute, enrolled in the Korean program, they had Japanese listed as a category 3 language and Korean as a category 4.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm curious why you think that is true.

I do know that when I was attending the Defense Language Institute, enrolled in the Korean program, they had Japanese listed as a category 3 language and Korean as a category 4.

They're similar levels of difficulty in my experience, but the Korean writing system is tremendously easy to learn (especially compared to Mandarin and Japanese).

Good for Brooks! No loss to the Orioles.