Diffusing Red Sox Fans/Cheers at OPACY

crowmst3k!

It's not just a division rivalry thing, it also has to do with decorum. Have you noticed in the last few years that while the Yankee fans still come in droves, it's moreso the Sox fans we're talking about? Most Yankee fans I've dealt with are "fans of the game." I've seen Yankee fans at the Oriole team store buying Oriole merchandise to commemorate their trip to Camden Yards. I also saw a guy from Boston complaining to the manager that they didn't sell enough Red Sox merchandise. (The fact that they sell Sox hats at all in there is shameful, but that's another story...) The guy said that he didn't drive all the way here from Boston to buy "Oriole trash," and finally the manager told him if he didn't like it he should get in his car and drive back to Boston. I was standing by the door to Eutaw St at the time, and when he stormed out I opened the door and told him not to let it hit him on the way out. He flipped me off, and I told him to go fcuk himself. All the other O's fans in the store laughed. I've also seen Sox fans in the bathroom peeing in Oriole hats. I firmly believe that when you see your team play on the road at someone else's ballpark, you have the right to cheer them on, but you darn well better respect their fans, their team, and their stadium. Instead, these Boston fans jeer and boo our team, and disrespect our fanbase and stadium. Speaking for myself, it's the kind of people that I described above that's made me hate the Red Sox.

They think highly enough of us to pee in O's hats!? I thought that was something they reserved soley for Yankees fans. I'm strangely honored. :laughlol:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha. Yeah aside from that...

That's a pretty good sticking point for Baltimore's hatred for the 'Skins. The fact that the Skins were shoved down our throats for so long when none of us wanted anything do with them makes me think Baltimore will be up for this game as much as any other game this year, including the Steelers.

Yeah but you have to keep in mind that absolutely nobody (aside from maybe secretaries and the team trainer) that's with the Redskins now was there when Mr. Cooke was trying to keep football out of Baltimore. My Dad grew up a Colt fan. When the Colts left, he stopped following football as much as before, although he's since adopted the Skins. But if you ask him who his favorite team is, he says the Baltimore Colts (not the Ravens).

Snyder doesn't appear to consider the Ravens as a potential rival or anything else other than another football team. The same with Bisciotti towards the Skins. When the day comes I think it'll be a fun day for local football. Two great traditions (Skins and Colts/Ravens) coming together. I do like the idea of the annual scrimmage between the two sides, although I guess it didn't happen this year because the Skins played an extra preseason game.

They think highly enough of us to pee in O's hats!? I thought that was something they reserved soley for Yankees fans. I'm strangely honored. :laughlol:

I undestand your point but trust me, I didn't feel honored at the time I saw this happen. This was the last series of the year in 2004, which was against the Red Sox. A close friend of mine was visiting from England, and he wanted to go to some sort of sporting event. The O's were the only team that was in town, so I got some tickets for him, myself, and two other buddies. I was the only die-hard O's fan in the bunch, although the other guys were sort of pulling for the Orioles by default. The entire stadium was full of Boston fans; and I mean totally FULL of Boston fans. Worse than I had ever seen it before, or since. It was really awful. These "so-called friends of mine" (and I say that jokingly because they are truly some of my best friends) teased me the entire game mercilessly about the breakdown in the crowd. Some of the Boston fans around us started in on me also, as I was literally the only Oriole fan in the section. I've never been so humiliated in my life. As we were walking out of the stadium I stopped to use the restroom, and I saw this Red Sox fan gleefully peeing in an O's cap. And it wasn't like I could stop the guy from doing it, because guess what?...I was the only O's fan in the bathroom. Once I got out of the bathroom I told a couple of security people that there were guys peeing on the wall in the bathroom, and they literally threw up their hands and asked me what I wanted them to do. I have no doubt that this kind of filth doesn't show up at Fenway, but that's what we get here.

Idea: If someone wearing Red Sox apparel is sitting near you ask them to spell Yastrzemski, and if they can't, grab their pink hat and toss it in Boog's BBQ pit.

What's the point?...they can go right into the ORIOLES team store on Eutaw St and buy a new one. For years and years Red Sox fans would complain about the Yankees and their fans. Now they're the apex of the league...all I can say is that when the sh*t hits the fan and the O's are good while the Red Sox struggle, payback will be a b*tch.

What's the point?...they can go right into the ORIOLES team store on Eutaw St and buy a new one. For years and years Red Sox fans would complain about the Yankees and their fans. Now they're the apex of the league...all I can say is that when the sh*t hits the fan and the O's are good while the Red Sox struggle, payback will be a b*tch.

Blame Aramark and capitalism for that, they see a market where they can make a decent chunk of change for a game and go with it...I went to a Cubs-Pirates game at PNC earlier in the year, and with Aramark running the Pirates team stores you could get a limited selection of Cubs stuff, too.

Oh, and Cubs fans were much better at an opposing team's park than Pink Hat Nation or the Anti-matter/Pinstripe Universe ever could be.

Blame Aramark and capitalism for that, they see a market where they can make a decent chunk of change for a game and go with it...I went to a Cubs-Pirates game at PNC earlier in the year, and with Aramark running the Pirates team stores you could get a limited selection of Cubs stuff, too.

Oh, and Cubs fans were much better at an opposing team's park than Pink Hat Nation or the Anti-matter/Pinstripe Universe ever could be.

No, I don't blame Aramark for this, I blame Angelos. I would suspect that the Orioles have the final say on what's sold at the official team stores. So the fact that someone can walk into the stadium store and buy Red Sox hats, shirts, etc, is probably made possible because of a decision made up the ladder. Now that merchandise also makes money for the Orioles no doubt, but at what expense? Ticking off your real customers? And I'm not talking about the vendors outside the stadium...they can sell whatever they want, and for the record everytime I've seen the O's on the road I've seen Oriole merchandise for sale outside the stadium. But INSIDE THE STADIUM STORE?...that's ridiculous, and I take that as a slap in the face. Whether or not Aramark has anything to do with it, I don't know. But I doubt they could do it without the Orioles' consent, which they obviously have.

I saw the Cubs play the Nationals in DC this year, and their fans are class acts. In terms of sheer numbers they were similar to the Yankees and Red Sox, but most of them were very docile and very complimentary of the the new DC ballpark.

No, I don't blame Aramark for this, I blame Angelos. I would suspect that the Orioles have the final say on what's sold at the official team stores. So the fact that someone can walk into the stadium store and buy Red Sox hats, shirts, etc, is probably made possible because of a decision made up the ladder. Now that merchandise also makes money for the Orioles no doubt, but at what expense? Ticking off your real customers? And I'm not talking about the vendors outside the stadium...they can sell whatever they want, and for the record everytime I've seen the O's on the road I've seen Oriole merchandise for sale outside the stadium. But INSIDE THE STADIUM STORE?...that's ridiculous, and I take that as a slap in the face. Whether or not Aramark has anything to do with it, I don't know. But I doubt they could do it without the Orioles' consent, which they obviously have.

Nope, that's all Aramark, they have a contract to provide the services, and they decide what to carry, thus there being things like Jeter/Arod/Joba shirts during Yankeees series, and Ortiz/Papelbon/Pedroia shirts during Red Sox series, yeah.

Blaming Angelos for this is pretty much ridiculous.

As a die-hard Skins fan, and season ticket holder, I wouldn't say they're awful. The Redskins' problem has always been high expectations. It's only pre-season, but I'll take how the Redskins have looked and a 3-0 record as opposed to how the Patriots have looked and an 0-2 record anyday. But I digress...

I don't condone fighting either, but there has to be some sort of middle ground in terms of intimidating visiting fans and breaking the law. In Philadelphia the "security people" sit there and laugh while visiting fans are beaten up. I guess that while I don't want people to fear for their safety when they come to our stadium, I'd like for them to think twice about whether they want to be harrassed and taunted. Instead, it's our fanbase that thinks twice about going to "home games" against Boston, because they don't want to be harrassed and taunted. There's something intrinsically wrong there. Part of it is that we've had this "most well behaved fans in MLB" crap shoved down our throats for years, and we're starting to believe it.

Lol, you just added to your own problem right there.

Nope, that's all Aramark, they have a contract to provide the services, and they decide what to carry, thus there being things like Jeter/Arod/Joba shirts during Yankeees series, and Ortiz/Papelbon/Pedroia shirts during Red Sox series, yeah.

Blaming Angelos for this is pretty much ridiculous.

Hmmm, are you sure about that? I'd be willing to retract my blame of Angelos, but it seems to me that while Aramark owns the rights to provide concessions and souvenirs at the ballpark, someone in ownership or the FO would have to okay them selling another team's merchandise. If anything, the Orioles could claim that their territorial rights are being violated by another team's merchandise being sold. I'd be interested to know if Aramark also handles services at Fenway Park for that matter. One way or the other, no other team's shirts or hats should be sold in our stadium. End of story.

I think the same can be said about Ravens fans since 2000 :D

True although speaking from my own perspective I tend to be pretty realistic. Usually the team's performance is inversely proportional to my expectations. They sucked in 2005 and 2007 when I thought they'd be contenders and went 13-3 in 2006 when I thought they'd be 8-8 at best.

Lol, you just added to your own problem right there.

Maybe, maybe not. The Redskins have at the very least looked crisp in the preseason. Very few penalties, and seemingly good discipline. That kind of thing should carry over into the regular season, and if so, I'll have good reason to have high expectations.

Archived