Diffusing Red Sox Fans/Cheers at OPACY

crowmst3k!

No joke, as I'm reading responses in this thread, I'm seeing advertisements for Boston Red sox gear on ORIOLES HANGOUT!!! What is this world coming to?

Google works in mysterious ways.

Or rather by things called "keywords" in this case "Red Sox" which has been repeated about 1,500,000 times in this thread, and with that they've gone with ads for Red Sox gear being featured.

It's kind of like the MASN ad at the bottom of the page here that sometimes features the Nats, and one over on a Nats blog with George Sherril, it's nothing anyone involved with the site has control over.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I don't blame Aramark for this, I blame Angelos. I would suspect that the Orioles have the final say on what's sold at the official team stores. So the fact that someone can walk into the stadium store and buy Red Sox hats, shirts, etc, is probably made possible because of a decision made up the ladder. Now that merchandise also makes money for the Orioles no doubt, but at what expense? Ticking off your real customers? And I'm not talking about the vendors outside the stadium...they can sell whatever they want, and for the record everytime I've seen the O's on the road I've seen Oriole merchandise for sale outside the stadium. But INSIDE THE STADIUM STORE?...that's ridiculous, and I take that as a slap in the face. Whether or not Aramark has anything to do with it, I don't know. But I doubt they could do it without the Orioles' consent, which they obviously have.

I don't know who makes the decisions on those things, but I can tell you it's not limited to Red Sox and Yankees stuff in Orioles stores. I was at a Royals vs. White Sox game in KC a few weeks ago and they were selling White Sox tshirts in the Royals' souvenir shops. That's just the way it is.

Google works in mysterious ways.

Or rather by things called "keywords" in this case "Red Sox" which has been repeated about 1,500,000 times in this thread, and with that they've gone with ads for Red Sox gear being featured.

It's kind of like the MASN ad at the bottom of the page here that sometimes features the Nats, and one over on a Nats blog with George Sherril, it's nothing anyone involved with the site has control over.

Seeing that I know next-to-nothing about the internet, I'm not surprised. They probably think they're doing a public service. Oh wel...

ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!! ORIOLES!!!

I don't know who makes the decisions on those things, but I can tell you it's not limited to Red Sox and Yankees stuff in Orioles stores. I was at a Royals vs. White Sox game in KC a few weeks ago and they were selling White Sox tshirts in the Royals' souvenir shops. That's just the way it is.

It's just embarrassing, that's all. No way that should be allowed under any circumstances.

Maybe, maybe not. The Redskins have at the very least looked crisp in the preseason. Very few penalties, and seemingly good discipline. That kind of thing should carry over into the regular season, and if so, I'll have good reason to have high expectations.

I just find it funny that you openly state that the Skins' biggest problem is high expectations and then, in the very next sentence, essentially state that you'd rather be the Skins than Pats right now based on two pre-season games...

I would love to fight the good fight more often, but don't have the money to go to OPCY as much as I'd like. When I do go, I like to take my kids (6 & 4 years old) and there is no way in hell I'd take them to one of those games, for many obvious reasons.

I have to admit the only confrontations I've ever had with opposing fans have been from the Red Sox and Phillies. Most times I really enjoy talking baseball and bantering with other teams' fans. Sometimes it's really cool to hear their perspective on the O's.

I visited Fenway Park in 97 and respectfully cheered for the O's. Boston wasn't really even in contention, so it wasn't a tense or meaningful late season game. I was verbally taunted throughout the game and on the way out I had to walk away from two fights. I had more beer on my cheap O's T-shirt than I did in my stomach. I was at the game with my wife, mom & dad. Keep it classy, Boston.

What p'd them off the most was shouting 'O' in the national anthem. They think they invented patriotism. I reminded them that the anthem was written in B-more.

It's just embarrassing, that's all. No way that should be allowed under any circumstances.

Here's something for you to ponder...

Say you went to one of the O's-Nats games in DC, would you be all that ticked if the Nats team store had a small section of O's apparel, like maybe a couple hats and Markakis/Roberts/Scott shirts? Somehow, I doubt it.

Also, I go to a lot of Hagerstown Suns games, they're currently a Nats affiliate, but their team store carries a pretty wide variety of O's, Yankeees, and Red Sox items along with the Nats/Suns stuff, and somehow, I'm not offended.

Here's something for you to ponder...

Say you went to one of the O's-Nats games in DC, would you be all that ticked if the Nats team store had a small section of O's apparel, like maybe a couple hats and Markakis/Roberts/Scott shirts? Somehow, I doubt it.

Also, I go to a lot of Hagerstown Suns games, they're currently a Nats affiliate, but their team store carries a pretty wide variety of O's, Yankeees, and Red Sox items along with the Nats/Suns stuff, and somehow, I'm not offended.

No, I wouldn't be "ticked" per se, but it wouldn't be my place to be ticked off. Then again, I buy all of my Oriole merchandise either at the team store at Camden Yards on the online store (effectively the same thing). I don't understand why these Red Sox fans have to come all the way to Baltimore just to buy Red Sox merchandise. If I were to show up at Nats Park expecting to buy Oriole merchandise, I'd be out of line in my opinion. Ultimately, selling other teams' merchandise in the stadium store is a shameful practice, and in my opinion it spits in the face of the hometown fans. I'll always be an Oriole fan through and through, but there are some things that they do that I just disagree with.

Cafe Press is selling "B is for Bandwagon" shirts. Just google it and the advertisement will pop right up. Makes the bandwagoners feel really bad. I did have one person tell me, "what's wrong with being on a bandwagon. I'm just a wise customer".

James

Typical. So does that mean they'll be rooting for us if we contend in a few years?

No, I wouldn't be "ticked" per se, but it wouldn't be my place to be ticked off. Then again, I buy all of my Oriole merchandise either at the team store at Camden Yards on the online store (effectively the same thing). I don't understand why these Red Sox fans have to come all the way to Baltimore just to buy Red Sox merchandise. If I were to show up at Nats Park expecting to buy Oriole merchandise, I'd be out of line in my opinion. Ultimately, selling other teams' merchandise in the stadium store is a shameful practice, and in my opinion it spits in the face of the hometown fans. I'll always be an Oriole fan through and through, but there are some things that they do that I just disagree with.

Impulse purchases.

They sell O's gear at Fenway where there in town, so every team does it. I see no problem with it.

Every team has vendors selling merchandise outside, that's true. But those are private vendors that might well get a license from the team or the city in order to sell there, but otherwise aren't affiliated with the team. I'm talking about the actual stadium store selling merchandise for the visiting team.

Archived