Thursday's Hot Stove Show

Going Underground

14 minutes ago, weams said:

Hunter Harvey on the phone for the first block. Sounds fun and very southern. Was talking about Ben;s ranch in Mississippi. Deer Hunting and gym for the offseason program. Works with a personal trainer fiver days a week. "Getting arms on again."

Is there a live feed?

On 11/12/2019 at 7:54 AM, Frobby said:

“Need” is a relative term.     I expect they are profitable now.   

Well if getting $210 million  in sharing from MLB and then all the other revenue streams and the payroll this low ,they must have a nice accounting trick if not very profitable.  Maybe instead of FIFO ,they do FIAO= First In All Out.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Well if getting $210 million  in sharing from MLB and then all the other revenue streams and the payroll this low ,they must have a nice accounting trick if not very profitable.  Maybe instead of FIFO ,they do FIAO= First In All Out.

Losing 1.1 mm fans in 5 years isn’t a great way to make money.    And, it would not surprise me if they were losing a bit of money in their top payroll years.     But, I do think they are probably profitable now.   Just a question of exactly how profitable.    

Forbes had them with a $6.5 mm operating loss in 2018, with “player expenses” of $161 mm, revenue of $251 mm, gate receipts $42 mm.   For this year, figure $35 mm in gate receipts (proportionate drop to attendance) and “player expenses” of $94 mm (proportionate to BB-ref payroll).   Assuming no other big changes, that gets to a profit of $53.5 mm.    I assume non-payroll expenses went up significantly with the O’s investing in infrastructure things, so the operating profit is probably well under $50 mm, but still in the tens of millions, I expect.    

All of this, of course, ignores MASN.