2019 #13 Prospect: Alex Wells - LHP

Tony-OH

It really makes me happy to see Alex Wells getting this kind of respect from you guys.    I love this kind of pitcher when they can make it work, and I sincerely hope he can.    

I was reading Luke’s comment that Wells works faster than any pitcher in MLB, and my mind immediately went to Mark Buehrle.   I looked him up and his average FB never topped 87.1 during his career.    Super fast worker, lefty, four pitch mix with excellent command.    Every time I watched him it was evident that the hitters weren’t comfortable facing him even though he was a soft tosser.   That’s my dream comp for Wells.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It really makes me happy to see Alex Wells getting this kind of respect from you guys.    I love this kind of pitcher when they can make it work, and I sincerely hope he can.    

I was reading Luke’s comment that Wells works faster than any pitcher in MLB, and my mind immediately went to Mark Buehrle.   I looked him up and his average FB never topped 87.1 during his career.    Super fast worker, lefty, four pitch mix with excellent command.    Every time I watched him it was evident that the hitters weren’t comfortable facing him even though he was a soft tosser.   That’s my dream comp for Wells.   

Buerhle had a plus, or even plus plus, change, right? Sorry. Going by memory. That is certainly a dream comp. 

Sounds like a profile that as opener could propel Grayson Rodriguez to a string of 20-win seasons as Drungo's "Winner".  Or a little more sincerely, a Lowenstein to Baumann's Roenicke.

Curious perspectives here - if he and Means are both in the rotation, how much do you care about separating them with a fast RHP, juggling schedule so they don't both pitch the same series, etc.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Buehrle is certainly Wells' ceiling comp, but he'll need a major improvement to his changeup to get there. I'd love to have Wells try and throw Means' changeup. 

Saying that, Wells is probably the most enjoyable pitcher to watch pitch because of how fast he works and his ability to throw strikes. He's not afraid of contact and so far has found a way to limit it. 

• Upvote 2