The Decade (2010-19)

Frobby

7 minutes ago, esmd said:

The last two seasons really slammed the W-L %, but overall, it was a pretty damn fun decade to be an O's fan.  2012-2016 were a lot of fun, even with the disappointment of falling short of a WS title.  I'll always remember this era fondly, even though the end has been rough.  Hoping for even better things with this next era under Mike Elias.

Even though the team was awful in 2010-11, each of those seasons ended on a high note.   2010 was the year Buck arrived, and we went 34-23 to end the season after going 32-73 prior to his arrival.    We also had a good September in 2011, including the sweet season-ending walk-off that knocked the Red Sox out of the playoffs.    So, those seasons had some redeeming value.    

Overall, it was a much better decade than 2000-09, in which the O’s were 703-915 and never sniffed a winning record.    But I’d still hesitate to call it a pretty fun decade to be an O’s fan, except in comparison to the prior one.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Even though the team was awful in 2010-11, each of those seasons ended on a high note.   2010 was the year Buck arrived, and we went 34-23 to end the season after going 32-73 prior to his arrival.    We also had a good September in 2011, including the sweet season-ending walk-off that knocked the Red Sox out of the playoffs.    So, those seasons had some redeeming value.    

Overall, it was a much better decade than 2000-09, in which the O’s were 703-915 and never sniffed a winning record.    But I’d still hesitate to call it a pretty fun decade to be an O’s fan, except in comparison to the prior one.  

The stench of everything after 2016 taints this decade, for sure.  Even the W/L column sucks, there have been fun things such as Elias getting hired, the Rutschman pick, making headway into the Dominican.  Unfortunately, the fun/positive things have happened off the field.

2000-2009 was like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly.  By a very large man.  Wearing steel toed boots.  Who was very angry.  I think you're correct, this was a pretty fun decade in comparison.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The stench of everything after 2016 taints this decade, for sure.  Even the W/L column sucks, there have been fun things such as Elias getting hired, the Rutschman pick, making headway into the Dominican.  Unfortunately, the fun/positive things have happened off the field.

2000-2009 was like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly.  By a very large man.  Wearing steel toed boots.  Who was very angry.  I think you're correct, this was a pretty fun decade in comparison.  

2005 was the stuff of legends man. They should make a movie about that season. 

20 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I'm not quite sure which decade to give the edge for 2nd best behind the 1980's.  The 2000's are obviously last - 1990's vs. 2010's is a fair fight.  Hopefully the 2020's will finally give the 1980's a decent run for its money.

I’d give the 90’s the edge over this decade, with one proviso: the baseball strike of 1994-95 really sucked and took some joy out of those seasons.    However, we had the joy of watching Ripken play every day (and break Gehrig’s record), and having Mussina on the mound every fifth day, with some decent supporting pitchers at times.     We had five winning seasons and weren’t far below .500 in most of the others.   This decade we had four seasons that were hopeless (even though two of those ended nicely, as I mentioned above) and one that crashed very badly at the end (2017).    Give me the ‘90’s.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Give me the ‘70’s.    Ten straight winning seasons, a World Series title, three AL pennants and 5 playoff appearances.   And the entirety of Jim Palmer’s prime.    Brooks there for most of the decade, Frank there for the start, Eddie there for the end.   Weaver there for all of it.    And I was 13-22 years old, and basically had no idea what it was like to root for a losing team.   

That's me.  I was 10-20 during the 70's and the Orioles were perpetually in the mix and nearly always at or near the top of the American League East.  And let's not forget Paul Blair, Mark Belanger, Boog Powell, Elrod Hendricks, Dave McNally and Mike Cuellar.  What a great decade to be an Oriole fan!

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Give me the ‘70’s.    Ten straight winning seasons, a World Series title, three AL pennants and 5 playoff appearances.   And the entirety of Jim Palmer’s prime.    Brooks there for most of the decade, Frank there for the start, Eddie there for the end.   Weaver there for all of it.    And I was 13-22 years old, and basically had no idea what it was like to root for a losing team.   

Yeah, I mean I wasn't there for it but the 70s seemed like a great decade.  That would be my choice.

I'm not so sure about the 80s.  You get the WS ring in 83 but by '85-'86 they're not good.  We all know about 1988.  And the 1989 team is legendary but played way over their heads and couldn't repeat any of it in 1990.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I mean I wasn't there for it but the 70s seemed like a great decade.  That would be my choice.

I'm not so sure about the 80s.  You get the WS ring in 83 but by '85-'86 they're not good.  We all know about 1988.  And the 1989 team is legendary but played way over their heads and couldn't repeat any of it in 1990.

The 80’s had tremendous highs and lows.     Our last World Series title, two other incredible pennant races in ‘80 and ‘82, the incredibly fun 1989 season, Cal’s sizzling debut and nightly excellence, and a good chunk of Eddie’s prime.   But it also had the long strike in ‘81, the end of our 16 straight winning seasons, the souring of the fans’ relationship with Eddie, Earl Weaver’s ineffective comeback, and the abomination of the 1988 season.     I can’t complain too much about any decade that includes a WS title, but it pales in comparison with the 60’s and 70’s IMO.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

While my earliest specific memories are indeed of the hateful Kent Tekulve, I perhaps should have clarified those are my personal 40-year span decadal rankings.   The '60s and '70's were obviously the franchise's Golden Age.

OK, that makes sense.   

20 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

While my earliest specific memories are indeed of the hateful Kent Tekulve, I perhaps should have clarified those are my personal 40-year span decadal rankings.   The '60s and '70's were obviously the franchise's Golden Age.

Got it.  Yeah, I was born in late 81 so..... it's been mostly bleak for me.

2 hours ago, esmd said:

The last two seasons really slammed the W-L %, but overall, it was a pretty damn fun decade to be an O's fan.  2012-2016 were a lot of fun, even with the disappointment of falling short of a WS title.  I'll always remember this era fondly, even though the end has been rough.  Hoping for even better things with this next era under Mike Elias.

It was a heck of a lot better than 2000-2009.  2012 was a truly great year, and 2014 wasn't bad, either.  And hopefully we look back at '19 as the year we finally got on track to having a top-to-bottom modern organization for the first time since the 1970s.