Consolidated thought.

Satyr3206

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think teams covet Villar.  I see no evidence that any team has been interested in obtaining his services in the last few years.  The Brewers dumped him and the O's can't dump him.

I don't think adding on two more years of obligation is going to change that.

Let's revisit this when he hits the FA market.

Even of he's just a 2 WAR player the next three years he would be worth the money.

I expect him to be worth 8+ WAR over the next 3 seasons

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The Brewers traded him in a deal for Schoop. A move that they believed upgraded their team for the playoffs.

The Orioles DFA'd him in the offseason to avoid paying him a $3 million raise. Thats all it costs them net!

I won't believe that you are not smart enough to see the difference as I believe you are a knowledgeable poster!

Right, the Brewers traded a second baseman with two years of team control left for a second baseman having a down year who was more expensive and had one year of team control left.  They also gave up other players.

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I dont care that Villar likely isnt getting $10 million in arbitration. I think the Orioles should've done a 2-3 year extension in the $6.5-7.5 million per range. I think he wouldve taken it last offseason, Thus making it easier to get value for him

Putting aside whether that move would have made sense, there’s no way to know whether Villar would have accepted a contract like that. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn’t.   And we don’t know what talks the parties have had.   

10 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Oh stop with the waterworks. He’s a millionaire professional with an agent working in the same system of compensation that has existed for years. He’ll work out a deal with the O’s at the salary they both come to terms with or he becomes a free agent and these bizarre MLB market forces-that-be pay him whatever he can scrounge up. If you think he’s an amazing player there’s room for amazing players on all 30 teams. 

This isn’t some blindside lay-off of a widget packer at Christmas and Tiny Tim Villar will go hungry for another day. 

I hope that such a deal can happen, but with several defense-first infielder options available at a fraction of the cost, I doubt that it will.

As for entertainment and offensive value, the O's probably figure that, once Davis is relegated to a non-starting 26th-man role, full seasons from Hays, Stewart, and Santander, then the call-up of Mountcastle--and maybe even Diaz later in the season--will make up for the loss of the excitement and exasperation Villar generated.

It occurs to me that, compared to widget-packers, baseball players are among the least vulnerable to being replaced by robots because of how different the physical structures and routines of hitting, fielding, base running, pitching, and being a good teammate are, although I guess they've worked out most of the algorithms in the video games already. Athletes are never mentioned by Elon Musk or in Andrew Yang's sobering book The War on Common People, but I would guess that, even if their automation were on the horizon, boxers, MMA's, golfers, and basketball, hockey, soccer, and tennis players are much easier to model and build. The 162-game season provides a lot of data, but still.

Villar's no Tiny Tim, but his salary didn't begin to climb until 2018; it won't have been anywhere close to Schoop's (by several million!) until next season maybe. I wish him a very merry and bountiful Christmas.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:09 AM, UpstateNYfan said:

True, but what about success in the stands?? If 70% of the teams are looking 3 year opportunities every decade how do you maintain fan interest the other 7 years? The operation was a success, but the patient died.

Good thing we're not doing that.   We're looking to build a longterm sustainable winner that we would hope never has to tank again.   

32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Good thing we're not doing that.   We're looking to build a longterm sustainable winner that we would hope never has to tank again.   

I'm not so sure anymore. Looks like cutting costs across the board. Brooks would be asked to take a pay cut these days.

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

I'm not so sure anymore. Looks like cutting costs across the board. Brooks would be asked to take a pay cut these days.

Why?   Because they decided to part ways with a guy who will be a free agent after 2020 a year early to save $10 million?

Questionable move, especially if they get nothing for him.   But certainly doesn't do anything to indicate the philosophy of trying to build a strong foundation for the future is no longer in place.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Why?   Because they decided to part ways with a guy who will be a free agent after 2020 a year early to save $10 million?

Questionable move, especially if they get nothing for him.   But certainly doesn't do anything to indicate the philosophy of trying to build a strong foundation for the future is no longer in place.

Villar should bring something in a trade. If the GM can't do that I'm worried. Andy could have gotten 2 prospects and some International money. Elias has made some questionable decisions. Dumping Scouts, no Fanfest, etc. We'll see if it works. I have serious doubts.