Consolidated thought.

Satyr3206

On 11/26/2019 at 10:07 AM, LookinUp said:

Depending on your definition of efficiency, analytics is about efficiency, period. Why do we analyze? To gain a better understanding of whatever we're studying and ultimately put that better information to use to make things better. The idea that analytics are a problem is silly. They make relatively dumb people smarter. That puts managers and players in better positions to succeed. That's good.

The ironic part about any mention of Belicheck and analytics is the fact that he has been the smartest coach I've ever seen. He knows what players need to do to execute, and he coaches those players to do it. He schemes better than anyone. He does operate in an environment where the use of analytics is generally less applicable than in baseball, but that's the point. He analyzes and is smarter. 

He didn't scheme very well this year.

7 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

I just think it's all about the money right now. Except it only applies to certain players. There is an albatross on the roster. Cut him and I'll say you might have a handle on things.

The O’s don’t save money by cutting Davis.    It costs them at least $560,000 to do it, because they still have to pay him and then they need to pay someone at least the major league minimum to take his roster spot.     Would that deter me from cutting him?   No.   But there’s certainly no inconsistency between non-tendering Villar and keeping Davis, financially speaking.    

• Upvote 1