Consolidated thought.

Satyr3206

2 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

What's the signature moment of the Elias era so far? Him signing his contract?

I would say the fantastic showing by pitchers throughout our minor leagues.

When you notice how pitchers that go to the Astros seem to show marked improvement (Morton, Cole and many others, even Verlander's career trajectory was pointing slighty downward a bit before they picked him up).

And now in the first year for the Orioles we have fantastic pitching performances throughout our minor league system, with systemwide strikeout rate going up drastically.

That seems very promising to me.   Even hearing that Keegan Akin was told to focus on establishing secondary pitches this year compared to previous years when it seems he was just going out there and getting results against minor leaguers with his fastball... a good sign.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Whoop dee do. Not impressed.

If you're looking for big signings or improvements to the MLB roster this year, you're not gonna be impressed. 

And that's consistent with what's been said from the time of his hiring. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I would say the fantastic showing by pitchers throughout our minor leagues.

When you notice how pitchers that go to the Astros seem to show marked improvement (Morton, Cole and many others, even Verlander's career trajectory was pointing slighty downward a bit before they picked him up).

And now in the first year for the Orioles we have fantastic pitching performances throughout our minor league system, with systemwide strikeout rate going up drastically.

That seems very promising to me.   Even hearing that Keegan Akin was told to focus on establishing secondary pitches this year compared to previous years when it seems he was just going out there and getting results against minor leaguers with his fastball... a good sign.

So it's interesting that Elias doesn't think they can improve Bundy's performance enough to make him worth keeping.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, LA2 said:

So it's interesting that Elias doesn't think they can improve Bundy's performance enough to make him worth keeping.

He did improve the second half of the season. 

If you mean keep him long term, he's gonna age out of the performance target. 

4 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

Villar should bring something in a trade. If the GM can't do that I'm worried. Andy could have gotten 2 prospects and some International money. Elias has made some questionable decisions. Dumping Scouts, no Fanfest, etc. We'll see if it works. I have serious doubts.

Fanfest isn’t Elias’ decision.    That’s the business and marketing side of the operation.   I don’t think Andy necessarily could have been better at trading Villar.  If there’s no interest, there’s no interest.    I’m surprised there isn’t, but I don’t blame Elias for that.   

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fanfest isn’t Elias’ decision.    That’s the business and marketing side of the operation.   I don’t think Andy necessarily could have been better at trading Villar.  If there’s no interest, there’s no interest.    I’m surprised there isn’t, but I don’t blame Elias for that.   

I think he overplayed his hand! He passed on offers at the deadline. Then through Kubatko stated that they weren't going to pay Villar. If you were another GM and you thought they might non-tender Villar why would you give anything of value up for him? If you thought that you'd now be right.

If Andy or Duquette for that matter were still here and rebuilding was the plan Villar wouldn't be here IMO

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think he overplayed his hand! He passed on offers at the deadline. Then through Kubatko stated that they weren't going to pay Villar. If you were another GM and you thought they might non-tender Villar why would you give anything of value up for him? If you thought that you'd now be right.

If Andy or Duquette for that matter were still here and rebuilding was the plan Villar wouldn't be here IMO

You are relying on very thin evidence that Elias passed on offers for Villar at the deadline.   Some offhand remark by Roch with no specifics provided.    Honestly, I don’t recall a single rumor of a Villar trade proposal last summer.    That’s not to say there wasn’t one, but there’s no real evidence there was.    

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are relying on very thin evidence that Elias passed on offers for Villar at the deadline.   Some offhand remark by Roch with no specifics provided.    Honestly, I don’t recall a single rumor of a Villar trade proposal last summer.    That’s not to say there wasn’t one, but there’s no real evidence there was.    

Any offer was better than DFAing him. Cant we agree on that? Even if the return was what they got for Cashner its better than the current scenario! And personally I don't believe that an offer was = to or worse than the Cashner return. But I agree that that is only my opinion.

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Any offer was better than DFAing him. Cant we agree on that? Even if the return was what they got for Cashner its better than the current scenario! And personally I don't believe that an offer was = to or worse than the Cashner return. But I agree that that is only my opinion.

As you can tell from my post, I’m not convinced Elias received any offers for Villar at all.

In any event, I’m about done with this topic until we see exactly what happens with Villar.    It’s been speculated that Elias put Villar on waivers to force teams to make trade offers before the non-tender date.   I’m not sure I buy that theory, nor am I confident that tactic would work.    But we’ll see if a trade happens in the next couple of days; if it does, that changes the nature of this discussion.